Jordan Domineck Pass Rush

alagold

Helluva Engineer
My concern is that Syr had given up 15 sacks in 2 games yet we had a really still bad Havoc rate vs them even with JDs stats.Something is not right.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
My concern is that Syr had given up 15 sacks in 2 games yet we had a really still bad Havoc rate vs them even with JDs stats.Something is not right.

I think we have learned that we don't have the horses we want to run our scheme the way we want. We have pieces which are really good, some which are really good at some things but a liability in certain plays. Tre and some other DL returnees will likely help a lot, but I think a good bit of Syracuse's success was because of game planning for our defense. And outside of a couple of plays over the top that their QB could not convert to save his life in the first 2 games, the defense mostly did fine statistically. But those deep passes were well-designed, well-prepared, and well-executed. Having a good pass rush does not necessarily beat deep passes. If they recognize a look or gamble and call a max protect and catch someone cheating 1:1 or create space on a double move, a QB does not need a lot of time to float a pass to them. They just have to execute it properly.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Gonna have to develop some DTs to make this happen. Clemson/ND/uga DLs are good because they have elite pass rushers. They’re dominant because they have elite DTs.
I think we can develop those guys. I look forward to the development of Akelo Stone, Mike Lockhart, etc.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Re: DL depth
247: Georgia Tech Odds and Ends For the Bye Weekend
There have been quite few questions about the status of Antwan Owens and Jahaziel Lee. Both defensive linemen have continued to work their way baak from injuries suffered during the 2019 season.

First on Lee. He has seen some time on special teams but we have not seen him in the regular defensive tackle rotation because he’s still working on being able to productively use his hands on the offensive linemen he has to face. The hands are the primary weapons for a defensive lineman. I was told the staff still expects Jahaziel to work his way back to being a contributor.

Owens on the other hand has not dressed for a game and he is still rehabbing his injury. We’re hearing that he feels that he’s ready to return but the staff is listening to the doctors rather than to Antwan and they are not ready to let him return. He too is expected to return. When he returns will depend on the medical staff.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Interesting. Especially considering how high the coaches were on Lee. Of course, it wouldn’t be the first time we got excited and expected big things out of a player (mostly from what the coaches say), only to be disappointed.
Getting Owens back would be helpful. We could use all the depth we can get there

I have gotten to the point that I never believe anything I read or hear about a player (or anybody). I have to see it to believe it. Been down that path far too many times. Teammates and coaches tend to be overly optimistic in their public assessments, and rightfully so I guess.

slugboy

Staff member
Lee was out most of last season with a broken leg. Between that an our mostly cancelled spring practice, it’s hard to tell how much technique coaching he missed out on in that time.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Lee was out most of last season with a broken leg. Between that an our mostly cancelled spring practice, it’s hard to tell how much technique coaching he missed out on in that time.
This. From rehabbing an injury to missing spring and most of summer, Lee is behind where he normally would have been. That also goes for most of the other players changing positions. You need reps to learn a new position, it is not just plug and play. Unfortunately guys lost a lot of reps in the offseason. However, still take what coaches say with a grain of salt until it is proven on the field.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Again I know it doesn't seem like it, but our D-line has improved which is a very pleasant surprise. All other things aside, I really can't wait to see what CGC can put together on defense when his system is fully installed and we complete it with a couple of good linebackers. If we could eventually land just one stud DT... watch out!

But back to this thread, of all the things I've been unhappy about with this team, D-line is one that has me hopeful.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Again I know it doesn't seem like it, but our D-line has improved which is a very pleasant surprise. All other things aside, I really can't wait to see what CGC can put together on defense when his system is fully installed and we complete it with a couple of good linebackers. If we could eventually land just one stud DT... watch out!

But back to this thread, of all the things I've been unhappy about with this team, D-line is one that has me hopeful.
CMC and CTC are both outworking their current pay. I am glad they are Tech men because someone else would love to have them coaching and recruiting their players. Not at all surprised our DE's look improved across the board.

Deleted member 2897

The sacks will come. Pressure is what you need first - if someone else gets the sack because of your pressure, it’s just as well. It can also result in scrambles, bad throws, interceptions, throwaways. It’s not like he’s missing tackles everywhere. This is a great stat. I have a feeling as Ryans and Clayton and Dominick continue to gel this will get more impactful.

Also, Ken Seguira is a ****ing idiot. 10th place has 3 sacks. Dominick has 2. Give me a break with the constant negative perspective.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sacks are great, but QB pressures also help our DBs and pass defense on the back end. Would like to see the end result of JD's pressures...did they lead to incompletions/pass breakups/interceptions?

Domineck actually did not want to move to DE from OLB...but he better be glad he did. He made himself NFL money by doing that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck

The other thing to remember is that all of these guys except for Clayton are freshmen and sophomores. I can't wait to see them as juniors and seniors. They could very well be a strength of the team at that point.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
CFB looks to me like it has gotten closer to BB and we matchup better with some than others. I heard CCG say you hire recruiters, you can teach them to coach, made sense to me.