Joe Anoa'i aka Roman Reigns Reflects on Signing Day

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Another 1 in 6 to graduate and become a millionaire?

USA Today: WWE superstar Roman Reigns reflects on signing day, path from football to wrestling
Joe Anoa’i had 120 tackles as a senior defensive lineman at Escambia in Pensacola, Fla. He added 12 sacks, forced six fumbles and had two interceptions. He was named second-team all-state in talent-rich Florida and the defensive player of the year by the Pensacola News Journal.

The scholarship offers came in to play football, as you’d expect. When signing day in February 2003 arrived, Anoa’i picked Georgia Tech as part of a 20-member class for then-coach Chan Gailey. The 6-3 pass rusher had visited the Tech campus in mid-January and committed 10 days later.

Also learned from a colleague that Roman Reigns just won WWE's Royal Rumble.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I taught his cousin in the 6th grade when I lived in P'cola. I asked her if she could get me a signed jersery. She came back to me later and said Joe said they weren't allowed to do that. To his credit, he gave her one of his hs jerseys to give me instead. I still have it. lol.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
That's pretty cool. I see the GT football Twitter account post things about Anoa'i from time to time. I just love it that an official GT source is posting WWE stuff. Pretty funny / awesome.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Just FYI, the WWE picking Roman Reigns to win the Royal Rumble means they view him as a future "face of the company." IDK if anyone will ever be as big a star as the Rock, but Reigns will be a GT alum in front of millions of eyes. They regularly mention his time as a Jacket on their programming. This is a good thing, if somewhat minor...

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Just FYI, the WWE picking Roman Reigns to win the Royal Rumble means they view him as a future "face of the company." IDK if anyone will ever be as big a star as the Rock, but Reigns will be a GT alum in front of millions of eyes. They regularly mention his time as a Jacket on their programming. This is a good thing, if somewhat minor...
I think I saw him doing a commercial on TV, as RR, but it wasn't for any wrestling association.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah. That was an ad campaign for "Fatherhood" by the AD council. Former Florida DE Thaddeus Bullard (as Titus O'Neal) also participated...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ditto here as well! Did he get graduate and get his degree ?

Hopefully he comes back to finish his degree. Looks like he was at GT for 4 years, but only "attended". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Reigns

WWE is entertainment just like the rest of professional sports. My grandfather (who would have been about 110 now) loved the show. Just a little more scripted ...... but those guys are real athletes.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
I once tweeted at Joe, To Hell With Georgia. He replied with gtfo haha. I tweeted back say it ain't so, Joe. Guess he was really in character at that time. I know, cool story, bra.