JJ Green

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
I remember a similar drill in HS. DB/LB was lined up 5 yards from the receiver (WR/RB/even the QBs). QB would take the snap, and fire the ball out to the flats. As soon as the receiver caught the ball, you had to try to make a move and get by the defender into the endzone. If you didn't catch the ball, the defender was still allowed to smack you.

Lesson: catch the damn ball because you're going to get hit regardless if you catch the ball or not. QBs had to line up at receiver to teach them a lesson to throw a clean catchable ball to the receivers.

My HS coach was an equal opportunity hard@ss to all his players.

That sounds like a great way to coach guys up. Just out of curiosity what was your teams records under this coach?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That sounds like a great way to coach guys up. Just out of curiosity what was your teams records under this coach?

I played towards the end of Coach's career. He won region 15 straight years in what is now region 4-AAAAAA. Coach took our team to the postseason 18 straight years, and has a career 0.748 win percentage. Never won a state title, but did make it to the finals once (lost to Valdosta).

During my career, we went 9-3 freshmen-junior year and 10-2 my senior year. We were a great team inside the region, but once we got to the state playoffs, we didn't fare quite as well.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I played towards the end of Coach's career. He won region 15 straight years in what is now region 4-AAAAAA. Coach took our team to the postseason 18 straight years, and has a career 0.748 win percentage. Never won a state title, but did make it to the finals once (lost to Valdosta).

During my career, we went 9-3 freshmen-junior year and 10-2 my senior year. We were a great team inside the region, but once we got to the state playoffs, we didn't fare quite as well.
Didn't everybody lose to Valdosta during those years? I heard a story once, maybe apocryphal, that one year Georgia reshuffled its classifications, and powerhouse Valdosta was moved from one of the lower ones to the top classification, prompting everyone to see the end of its reign. But it won the state championship in that classification by about four touchdowns. Any truth to that do you know?

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Didn't everybody lose to Valdosta during those years? I heard a story once, maybe apocryphal, that one year Georgia reshuffled its classifications, and powerhouse Valdosta was moved from one of the lower ones to the top classification, prompting everyone to see the end of its reign. But it won the state championship in that classification by about four touchdowns. Any truth to that do you know?
Pretty much. I played in 84 and 86 for Valdosta and we won the State Championship against Clarke Central both times and were picked by USA today as the Natl Champions both years. Back then the highest classification was 4A in the state, which we played in.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Not sure about the Valdosta classification thing. I just know that South GA teams use to kick EVERYONE's butt in football. Lowndes was another powerhouse...of course, they're right next door to Valdosta. We scheduled Valdosta for homecoming one year when I was still in middle school...and they proceeded to beat us down like little kids. Everyone thought we were big time by that point...Valdosta was a reality check!

It's only been the last 15 years or so that the metro Atlanta teams really became players for the football title. It kinda coincides with metro Atlanta booming and attracting a large population from all over the country. South GA still plays some of the best football...but now you have teams like Buford and Norcross becoming major players in the state.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Not sure about the Valdosta classification thing. I just know that South GA teams use to kick EVERYONE's butt in football. Lowndes was another powerhouse...of course, they're right next door to Valdosta. We scheduled Valdosta for homecoming one year when I was still in middle school...and they proceeded to beat us down like little kids. Everyone thought we were big time by that point...Valdosta was a reality check!

It's only been the last 15 years or so that the metro Atlanta teams really became players for the football title. It kinda coincides with metro Atlanta booming and attracting a large population from all over the country. South GA still plays some of the best football...but now you have teams like Buford and Norcross becoming major players in the state.
What school did you play for and when?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Don't discount the mystique that their coach, Wright Bazemore had. In addition, perhaps the fact that Lowndes is a county school vs the city school that Valdosta is and their various potential attendance zones has led Lowndes to eclipse Valdosta in attendance and therfore pool of potential athletes..

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's link to State Champions by Classification: http://ghsfha.org/statechamps.php?aOrgNum=1
Valdosta was in the largest classification until 1955 when it looks like the largest schools were split out, and then sometime between 1958 and 1960 they were moved into the largest classification. It looks like in 2000 when they added 5-A that Valdosta stayed in the largest classification.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Here's link to State Champions by Classification: http://ghsfha.org/statechamps.php?aOrgNum=1
Valdosta was in the largest classification until 1955 when it looks like the largest schools were split out, and then sometime between 1958 and 1960 they were moved into the largest classification. It looks like in 2000 when they added 5-A that Valdosta stayed in the largest classification.
Thanks. Kind of looks like the story was gussied up a bit but no question they were a powerhouse in Georgia football, and per LongforDodd, Wright Bazemore's name was known way beyond Georgia during those years.