Jimmy Kitchen....

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with this. That's what factories do & I'm not a fan of pulling scholarships on kids.
no one pulled a ship....dude failed out...i agree, we shouldn't pull ships on good kids that study, compete etc just cuz they aren't great players. We should pull ships on kids that don't meet those criteria regardless of if they are good players or not.

with that said, if you don't behave like a factory, then none of us should really complain about being a 7 or 8 win program....clearly in todays football the factory way is what flat out wins consistently....it is what it is... the schism in NCAA is far bigger now than it was 20 years ago.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Seems to me the inevitable outcome of these personnel losses that nobody is talking about is a lower APR coming down the pipe in the next few years.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
This young man originally committed to Auburn but came up short . We took him late after improved score if I am not mistaken. Just explains Paul's statement concerning his new freedom concerning exceptions. Even in having the freedom to take these kids it doesn't change the fact they must perform in the classroom. You will not see kids staying eligible for 3 or 4 years and leaving school with out a degree as in 80s and 90s.

This young man originally committed to Auburn but came up short . We took him late after improved score if I am not mistaken. Just explains Paul's statement concerning his new freedom concerning exceptions. Even in having the freedom to take these kids it doesn't change the fact they must perform in the classroom. You will not see kids staying eligible for 3 or 4 years and leaving school with out a degree as in 80s and 90s.

Correct, the freedom only extends to admissions. No quarter is given with regards to academic performance, That's the way it should be.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just explains Paul's statement concerning his new freedom concerning exceptions. Even in having the freedom to take these kids it doesn't change the fact they must perform in the classroom. You will not see kids staying eligible for 3 or 4 years and leaving school with out a degree as in 80s and 90s.

Needs to be understood by all GT fans.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

+1

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow

I didn't know he had major offers prior to test scores. Here is an AJC article when he committed:
http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/201...akes-the-long-road-back-home-to-georgia-tech/

"Of course, Kitchen has already heard the cynics who wonder how he’ll be able to handle Georgia Tech’s academic rigors after struggling so hard just meet eligibility requirements."

Didn't work out for him, but I hope he lands at a smaller school and works towards setting himself up after football.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I think this is actually a big loss:

1) We are short bodies on DL already.

2) Pass rush is an issue and that was Kitchen's best attribute.

3) While not a starter he had game experience and DT's usually need time to develop in college. Would have been in the rotation this year and a potential starter next year.

Now obviously dude wasn't all world but given our DL issues lmo it takes a weakness and destroys depth there. Is going to be that much easier for big 4 type teams to wear us down

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought you become academically ineligible for not making grades. Like Hunt-Days.

In regards to JH-D, if he didn't make grades coming out of spring, why can't he improve them over the summer to regain eligibility going into the season? Is it a timing issue when FB season starts and the summer semester ends?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yeah this hurts...I thought he had a chance to be the first off the bench.

Even bigger problem for next year as it leaves Gotsis, Kallon, Gamble and Commissiong.

OL next year should add Fromayan, Stickler, Brown, and Bryan and only losing Mason should put us in good shape on the OL. Moving Klock to DT now would help in 2015 but we really need some DT help this year from someone, unless all 5 can stay healthy and eligible. At the very least we need a lot a playing time from the DT backups in the first three games to get them ready for the ACC schedule. Maybe Roof can come up with some "schemes" to utilize more of his LB quality depth in pass rush situations?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
OL next year should add Fromayan, Stickler, Brown, and Bryan and only losing Mason should put us in good shape on the OL. Moving Klock to DT now would help in 2015 but we really need some DT help this year from someone, unless all 5 can stay healthy and eligible. At the very least we need a lot a playing time from the DT backups in the first three games to get them ready for the ACC schedule. Maybe Roof can come up with some "schemes" to utilize more of his LB quality depth in pass rush situations?

Like the 3-4? :)

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I think this is actually a big loss:

1) We are short bodies on DL already.

2) Pass rush is an issue and that was Kitchen's best attribute.

3) While not a starter he had game experience and DT's usually need time to develop in college. Would have been in the rotation this year and a potential starter next year.

Now obviously dude wasn't all world but given our DL issues lmo it takes a weakness and destroys depth there. Is going to be that much easier for big 4 type teams to wear us down
LB,
You nailed it.It is like hacking with an axe down at the roots of our DEF tree,may not see it now but come the 4th quarter in games we will see teams moving on us at will and this is one of the BIG reasons--this season and next.

Animal02

Banned
LB,
You nailed it.It is like hacking with an axe down at the roots of our DEF tree,may not see it now but come the 4th quarter in games we will see teams moving on us at will and this is one of the BIG reasons--this season and next.

Not if our offense can keep our opponent's offense off the field. Return of the DEATH MARCH!!!! :happy:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Death marches are fine when you need to milk the clock. Other than that though...they are often the result of a lack of big play making. I'll take a long march over a three and out anytime however. I'll take big plays on top of a few death marches each game....i'm easy to please :D

Death marches are fine when you need to milk the clock. Other than that though...they are often the result of a lack of big play making. I'll take a long march over a three and out anytime however. I'll take big plays on top of a few death marches each game....i'm easy to please :D[/QUOTE

There may be a lack of big play ability, but a genuine "death march" is the result of exceptional, sustained execution IYAM. If we truly do become a death marching offense, we will win a lot of games. As Animal pointed out, it keeps Hudson Mason and Todd Gurley on the bench, is physically and mentally draining for the opposing defense and it shortens the game and limits possessions. If we were holding the ball for 8 + minutes per possession--and scoring on those possessions, pretty much limits the other guys to about ten possesions per game. One or two turnovers and two stops and we win

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Great offenses will be capable of both big plays and death marches. The main thing is to be efficient...and score more than the other guy.