Jeff Sims Preseason Love

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow

It isn't lost on me that if he shows the type of improvement this would require, we are going to have a good year.
My first reaction was kudos to the young man, as it should be. Then I clicked on the article. Apparently, they don't go out on a limb for prognostication. Kinda like the field bet in craps. 70+ and 12 of 14 ACC QBs are on the list. Don't take this as a slam at Sims, he should be on the list even if it was half as big, but kind of a marketing clickbait. (not the OP, but ramblin wreck.)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
My first reaction was kudos to the young man, as it should be. Then I clicked on the article. Apparently, they don't go out on a limb for prognostication. Kinda like the field bet in craps. 70+ and 12 of 14 ACC QBs are on the list. Don't take this as a slam at Sims, he should be on the list even if it was half as big, but kind of a marketing clickbait. (not the OP, but ramblin wreck.)
Agreed it’s a wider net than I expected but he didn’t get left off at least!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
James Graham didn't record a catch while at Tech.
And no wonder. He was a QB first and foremost. One of the could-have-beens of the 2019 season is what would the team have turned out as if Graham hadn't been hurt and the OL had been able to put a consistent 5 on the field. Here's what it could have been:

True, that wasn't a very good NCSU team; they went 4 - 8. But if Graham had been healthy, imho, we would have won a couple more games, at least. He would have been murder in the spread.

As for Sims: I keep saying it so I'll say it again. He needs to run more. The one game we've played where he has run the ball enough to keep opposing Ds honest - UNC in 21 - he was lights-out. I hope Long sees that and that a certaIn head coach we know lets him alone to act on it. If so, I see better results for both Tech and Sims. Provided the OL jells, that is. This season is all on Key.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
As for Sims: I keep saying it so I'll say it again. He needs to run more. The one game we've played where he has run the ball enough to keep opposing Ds honest - UNC in 21 - he was lights-out.
Agree with this 100% and will be pretty disappointed if we don't see this against Clem.

And if you look at last year, FSU and Louisville both played Clem close while scoring 20 or more on that vaunted tigers D and a big factor to that was their QB's getting over 100 yds rushing.

Sims has that ability on the ground and better talent through the air than Jordan Travis (FSU). I wouldn't say he's shown the efficiency through the air that Malik Cunningham has but he has that potential and if the positive reports coming out of camp beat fruit we'll see it I'm sure

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I was pushing back on the other commenter saying Johnson put him at receiver to put the best talent on the field. He did pretty good as QB all told, but it doesn't really make sense to say he was a talented WR.
Johnson said he was trying to get him on the field. I didnnot say he was a talented receiver in said that johnson put him there to get him on the field

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
As for Sims: I keep saying it so I'll say it again. He needs to run more. The one game we've played where he has run the ball enough to keep opposing Ds honest - UNC in 21 - he was lights-out. I hope Long sees that and that a certaIn head coach we know lets him alone to act on it. If so, I see better results for both Tech and Sims. Provided the OL jells, that is. This season is all on Key.
The problem is that UNC didn't even prepare for Sims. They admitted that publicly. It's hard to tell if Sims can do that in a game where the other team is keying in on him. The week after UNC he had 38 yards rushing against Pitt. Without Gibbs in the picture, I would imagine the primary focus for all teams will be to shut Sims down in the running game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The problem is that UNC didn't even prepare for Sims. They admitted that publicly. It's hard to tell if Sims can do that in a game where the other team is keying in on him. The week after UNC he had 38 yards rushing against Pitt. Without Gibbs in the picture, I would imagine the primary focus for all teams will be to shut Sims down in the running game.
I don't think Clemson will either. I see your point, but I'm hoping that Long will scheme more for double options and draws for Sims. I'm willing to wager it will give the Tiggers fits if we do that.

We'll see soon enough.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is disproven by several guys every year now. High school QBs are more prepared than ever to jump to the next level. It's obviously on a case by case basis depending on maturity and skill level though. Im pretty sure Clemson is going to have a true freshman QB leading them by mid season.
I saw their freshman in Texas hs playoffs.
He can read the defenses and pick them apart. His team was mowing teams down till they meet a very good defense. I could not get a Guage on his arm strength.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
If you’re game planning us (esp as Clemson) don’t you just dare Sims to beat you with his arm ?
Yes. But that has been the game plan on us for a while now, especially on early downs to try and get us into predictable passing downs.

We need to do a better job of play calling, and making teams pay for bringing heat all the time(max protect shots, screens, dump offs in space) but we also need a deep threat at WR to emerge and make them pay.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If you’re game planning us (esp as Clemson) don’t you just dare Sims to beat you with his arm ?
Based on last year, yes. This year? We'll see. If he improves his timing and accuracy, opposing defenses really won't have an answer one way or the other. As long as we get some blocking up front, that is.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I would until he and the team prove we can effectively pass. It is a team game though and no QB throws well running for his life within two seconds of the snap to receivers who are well covered.
I would do the same to them as well.

For us It no longer that our receivers are good blockers and then receivers. It's time for qb and wr to see the open spot in the d.

Like u said - Clem will be brining it. If they are same as 16, nothing matters.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I'm worried about who our quarterbacks are going to throw the ball to. Adonias Sanders is gone. He saved us in the Duke game. Not hearing much about BlackStrain and my understanding is Blackburn has been injured. That's two 4 star guys.