Jeff Schultz Column

Going to put this into this thread. I hope every one saw this.

Curios as to what you all think. I really like that CPJ is still around

Love it. He knows the talent we have, and he trusts them to make the transition. I hope he goes to the games and cheers on the Jackets like all the rest of us, and I imagine he will.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I think Tori does an excellent job of covering us as a beat writer. I don't care where she graduated from; a good job should be noted and applauded. And I contend that the Tech coverage is worth the $30 a year. Unlike the UAC they aren't asking us to pay a fee and pushing ads in our faces. I pretty regularly pay a lot more for a lot less value to be sure. And I can do with giving up one bottle of Monkey Shoulder a year (or one trip to the movies with the bride) to have decent Tech reporting. Let's reward the behavior we want to see continue and not steal from them, eh?

I agree completely. I think she does a terrific job of giving us good content on GT and she doesn't come at it with an obvious bias against GT or towards UGA. I like that she clearly appreciates the opportunity she has and is working very hard to be worthy of the faith The Athletic had in hiring her at such a young age.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I read her latest article (using my free introductory offer) and found it repeating many of the myths associated with the former staff. It did not make me want to shell out the dough for a subscription.

If you don't mind me asking, which article was that? I haven't read any of hers that stood out to me as perpetuating myths or even really talking much about the former staff. I'm not disagreeing with you nor trying to convince you to shell out any money for a subscription. I happen to like The Athletic but that's just me. But I appreciate that it isn't for everyone. Of note I've found that Tori does read the comments on her articles and tweets to her and will respond at times so if I see something that would inaccurately address CPJ I would likely respond about it to her since I was, and still am, a fan of CPJ not just from his time leading our program but even before that (mostly at Navy, I didn't really follow him before that).

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Myths. And apparently you, someone who should know better, have bought into them as well.
Give me an example. If you’re talking about the linked article I don’t see anything that fits your description. What she is doing is writing what people are saying about the coming year and what we need to do to overcome it. I don’t know how anyone could have a problem with that. She’s doing a great job covering the team and is very positive overall.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Give me an example. If you’re talking about the linked article I don’t see anything that fits your description. What she is doing is writing what people are saying about the coming year and what we need to do to overcome it. I don’t know how anyone could have a problem with that. She’s doing a great job covering the team and is very positive overall.
She perpetuates the myth that the defense only practiced against the triple option in her July 17 article when she said:

It made me wonder if this Georgia Tech defense – having faced a triple-option every day in practice – would be better equipped to stop it.”

We all know the defense practiced against a scout team running other schemes.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
She perpetuates the myth that the defense only practiced against the triple option in her July 17 article when she said:

It made me wonder if this Georgia Tech defense – having faced a triple-option every day in practice – would be better equipped to stop it.”

We all know the defense practiced against a scout team running other schemes.
Okay there’s one. Although most of the defensive players seem to think they were disadvantaged by the time they spent working against our offense. Maybe the truth is somewhere in between? Still doesn’t change the fact that she is giving us great, positive coverage.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Okay there’s one. Although most of the defensive players seem to think they were disadvantaged by the time they spent working against our offense. Maybe the truth is somewhere in between?
I’m sure it does. After rereading some more of her stuff, she does a pretty good job. Better than the ajc, for sure.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Here's a new story from today:
https://theathletic.com/1085371/201...used-a-weekend-at-the-lake-to-trigger-change/

I think The Athletic has done a great job in filling the void from what coverage looked like 5-10 years ago. At one time, there were beat writers from Macon and Savannah papers, as well as regular coverage from AP. Plus, the AJC had two beat writers assigned to the school.

I think Ken does a good job, but he's one guy and under pressure from bosses to turn around 3-4 pieces a day. That ends ups being a couple of quotes from a press conference with a paragraph or two, offering no real insight. When he has time to write something in-depth, it's good but often few and far between.

Here are two pieces that stuck out to me:
https://theathletic.com/814623/2019...atrick-suddes-building-a-program-and-a-brand/
https://theathletic.com/977412/2019/05/14/the-tone-setter-for-georgia-tech-football-lewis-caralla/

Definitely good, new info in these with interviews that were outside of press conferences.

I don't have a high opinion of Rod and Kelly, because I prefer actual reporting and researched pieces. Overall, I think it's good for GT that The Athletic devoted a writer to the program. They could have easily decided we did not have a large enough fan base to justify a writer's salary.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
With all this talk about The Athletic, I thought I'd post this offer from them. You can get get a 40% discount to an Athletic subscription by using my link. That would take the $60 annual down to $36 bucks.

Full disclosure...I'll get a $25 Amazon credit if you use it, but I promise (and will be happy to post proof if it can be found) that I'll donate to Tech athletics an amount equal to the total of all the Amazon credits I get from them. Basically, for $36 you'll get The Athletic for a year and make a $25 donation to Tech athletics.

If this violates some policy then please delete it. With so many people complaining about the cost of paid media I thought a 40% discount might help them out, and Tech can certainly use the money!

NattyLight

Georgia Tech Fan
The GT coverage is a great bonus on the Athletic. I joined mostly for Braves and national stuff and it's well worth it. Someone mentioned prior local coverage: remember when we had Coley Harvey covering the GT beat for the Telegraph? That was awesome. He's done well moving up the chain at ESPN it seems.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
With all this talk about The Athletic, I thought I'd post this offer from them. You can get get a 40% discount to an Athletic subscription by using my link. That would take the $60 annual down to $36 bucks.

Full disclosure...I'll get a $25 Amazon credit if you use it, but I promise (and will be happy to post proof if it can be found) that I'll donate to Tech athletics an amount equal to the total of all the Amazon credits I get from them. Basically, for $36 you'll get The Athletic for a year and make a $25 donation to Tech athletics.

If this violates some policy then please delete it. With so many people complaining about the cost of paid media I thought a 40% discount might help them out, and Tech can certainly use the money!

Or you could kick it back so we get the subscription for $11

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Or you could kick it back so we get the subscription for $11
It'd be willing to do that if it doesn't get too out of hand numbers-wise. A whole bunch of individual venmo/paypal transactions could end up being a pain in the rear for me to administer, frankly. I'd rather do the GT donation, as once a couple of weeks goes by I could just make a single transaction.

But if someone is so hard-up for the $25 then, sure, I can do that a couple of times. Send me a PM first if you want to do that. I'm only going to do the transfer until after I get the Amazon credit on my account first. I'm definitely not going to be the one holding the bag in that scenario (a risk I'm more willing to take when the beneficiary is GT athletics.)

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It'd be willing to do that if it doesn't get too out of hand numbers-wise. A whole bunch of individual venmo/paypal transactions could end up being a pain in the rear for me to administer, frankly. I'd rather do the GT donation, as once a couple of weeks goes by I could just make a single transaction.

But if someone is so hard-up for the $25 then, sure, I can do that a couple of times. Send me a PM first if you want to do that. I'm only going to do the transfer until after I get the Amazon credit on my account first. I'm definitely not going to be the one holding the bag in that scenario (a risk I'm more willing to take when the beneficiary is GT athletics.)

Sorry, I was just being stupid.