Jamie Foxx at GT

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Just because your opinion is different from 'the group', doesn't mean the opinion can't also be wrong or ill-informed.

There are times when we all 'just don't get it' and our job is to educate ourselves on things we're unaware of. Or we can just surround ourselves with people who think like us and rail against everyone else.
Agree with the last sentence if: we want to take our time to educate ourselves. Some people are too lazy to try and upgrade themselves.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
How the heck do we get here on a friggin thread about Jamie Foxx visiting campus? Some will always find a way to play the victim. Sheesh

Shocking to me that the guy who posted the following comment in another thread:

That whole argument train is so tired and flawed that I fail to take it seriously and it really pushes me to be against the NIL push. Frankly, to me, it reeks of victim-mentality with a hidden subtext of race-baiting. Pretty much the standard 'us against The Man' weakness that dominates American society at the moment.

Would go on to play the victim in another thread where convenient. Absolutely shocking.

/s

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I think it's good that Jamie Fox was here but will anyone remember that he was at GT a month from now?

Disclaimer: I am older than most here which definitely has its advantages.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not making this political. No one take this there.

I think the font was pretty much dead on. There is much more group attack nowadays than there used to be, regardless of your point of view or what side of any opinion you may hold. The adherence to groupthink and cancel culture crosses all lines (social and political), and anyone providing an adverse opinion to the general consensus better buckle up.

As for the current thread and where it went with Jamie Foxx, I think there was as much astonishment that @LibertyTurns wasn't familiar with his work and therefore relegated him to a lower celebrity status than anything else. Personally, it didn't effect my opinion of one of my fellow fans; it just reinforced that not everyone operates with the same basic knowledge of what's going on around us. I'm reminded every day by my kids how out of touch with current pop culture I am.
Both sides were pretty much attacking. One side posted some soapbox insult about how they're above consuming and can't understand why a kid would be excited that one of their favorite actors was on campus. I think we were all at that age once where it was exciting to go to concerts or movies (or maybe some of us weren't and only wanted to create our own hits and blockbusters) and would have been thrilled to meet those people. Eventually we all get to the age where we don't really care, but it's silly to pretend it shouldn't matter to younger people.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I think it's good that Jamie Fox was here but will anyone remember that he was at GT a month from now?

Interesting that once a year or so someone posts the Marilyn Monroe picture in a Tech sweater. We don’t know what will take off or who will remember what a month from now. For now though it’s spread all over social media and Tech is mentioned every time. That has to be a good thing. Why not just leave it at that?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

I think the point is, it doesn’t matter. I believe it was @Techster that pointed out how many followers ESPN and a couple others have who tweeted out the video.

That’s a bunch of people who don’t know anything about GT seeing one of the biggest names in the industry at GT.

The 2-4 days of play GT got from this are worth more than a lot of things they could’ve actually paid for to build the brand.

This also makes GT more attractive for other entertainers who are in Atlanta for a show, filming a movie...etc.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I think the point is, it doesn’t matter. I believe it was @Techster that pointed out how many followers ESPN and a couple others have who tweeted out the video.

That’s a bunch of people who don’t know anything about GT seeing one of the biggest names in the industry at GT.

The 2-4 days of play GT got from this are worth more than a lot of things they could’ve actually paid for to build the brand.

This also makes GT more attractive for other entertainers who are in Atlanta for a show, filming a movie...etc.
...and in a month most of the eyeballs that saw it will have forgetten about it including some of our targets.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
...and in a month most of the eyeballs that saw it will have forgetten about it including some of our targets.
right...until the next time something GT comes across their sphere and they remember back to that Jamie Foxx spoof. They go back and relive it all over again. Boom! All of a sudden GT is a living, breathing thing again.

You'll see that little clip resurface from time to time and get great air time. Nothing wrong with free publicity.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
right...until the next time something GT comes across their sphere and they remember back to that Jamie Foxx spoof. They go back and relive it all over again. Boom! All of a sudden GT is a living, breathing thing again.

You'll see that little clip resurface from time to time and get great air time. Nothing wrong with free publicity.
Free pub is the best

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s true of anything nowadays. Everything happens in short video clips and tweets now.

What’s trending now, isn’t in an hour. That’s why I’m thankful we have a staff that understand this and knows how to use it to our advantage.

I’m sure they will find ways to use this clip again in the future too. Maybe when Foxx wins an award or has a new movie coming out. All they have to do is retweet the original clip with a #throwbackthursday or something like that and while Jamie Foxx is trending GT will be in the mix too.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Who cares? Free marketing for GT. How is this ever a bad thing? These things help shape the impressions people have of a school. Pete Carroll used it to perfection in the 2000s. I guess if an A-list actor came to your place of business and offered to participate in a video you could post to social media your answer is....."No, I'm good".

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Plus, he'll probably make return trips.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Who cares? Free marketing for GT. How is this ever a bad thing? These things help shape the impressions people have of a school. Pete Carroll used it to perfection in the 2000s. I guess if an A-list actor came to your place of business and offered to participate in a video you could post to social media your answer is....."No, I'm good".
I didn't say I didn't care and I never said it wasn't good for the school. Please reread my replies, comprehend them if you wish, and move on. I am. I've got social media to catch up with. I'm bored as hell already with this. ....good grief