James Graham??

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Guys, no where did I say I didn’t want to win. I simply said this year is another year of finding out what we have in stock (primarily at the QB position). I hope we win every game and our coaches get to evaluate all 85. But, I also know we aren’t winning every game and probably won’t be in the college football playoff in 2020. I also have been alive long enough to read between the lines. Collins is here for long term success and TStan has bought in. Hence, 2019 and 2020 will be in Collins rear view soon and he knows if he picks the wrong QB and the others transfer out that puts his career at risk way more than any Wins and losses right now. I imagine by 2021 we’ll all be happy where Collins has us at that point.
Yep, hope you saw my post above saying I am sure that's where you were coming from.

I don't disagree with the assessment you've made as a viable option. I do however think he will look for more immediate progress and the ability to do some of the things we talk about being elite in, well elitely. We have a monster room at RB so with improved size on OLine should see them show out. Ditto on the Defensive side of the ball, we have some studs in the back half of the D if we can just get the DLine to hold up a little better and get some pressure to the opposing QB I think we can take a few big steps, and get to .500 which is again the arbitrary mark in my mind from improvement.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. And I expect much better performances (no 45-0 blowouts) from our offense, but I also know even with improved OLine play that the key to success in college football is having a QB who can make the reads and accurately deliver the ball in all areas of the field. Right now, the GT QB position is one of the biggest unknowns in the ACC. I’m just worried that we pick the wrong one and then the others leave and have success, ala Fields. Everything Collins has said indicates he knows he has to manage the egos right now. In another cycle or two he won’t because we’ll have enough talent not to worry about losing a player or two to the portal. Right now, if say we lost Sims and Griffin to the portal after 2020 because we rode Graham, Mason, and Gibbs to a 6-6 record that would suck. Yes, we need starters but we also need depth without a huge drop off.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agreed. And I expect much better performances (no 45-0 blowouts) from our offense, but I also know even with improved OLine play that the key to success in college football is having a QB who can make the reads and accurately deliver the ball in all areas of the field. Right now, the GT QB position is one of the biggest unknowns in the ACC. I’m just worried that we pick the wrong one and then the others leave and have success, ala Fields. Everything Collins has said indicates he knows he has to manage the egos right now. In another cycle or two he won’t because we’ll have enough talent not to worry about losing a player or two to the portal. Right now, if say we lost Sims and Griffin to the portal after 2020 because we rode Graham, Mason, and Gibbs to a 6-6 record that would suck. Yes, we need starters but we also need depth without a huge drop off.
Totally agree we have to manage egos and depth development. That is part of the brilliance with his practice methodology - more snaps = better development.

Between the first season with tons of snap counts and now this season with split practices he is definitely giving guys a chance to shoot their shot. Will be interesting to watch develop as the season goes on. Really have enjoyed this back and forth.