James Graham Transferring

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I expected this earlier in the season, but then when he was given the chance to play a little, I thought maybe he'd stay. I think he's a great kid from what I can see and loved his attitude, but he was not my pick for QB last year. I hope he goes somewhere he can shine. He is one that got caught up in the mix with the coaching change, and I am sorry for that for him - but I'm not a fan of the transfer and redshirt rules as of late. I'd like to see kids commit to a school and stay. That said, this would be one exception I'd make in the rule if I were king for a day - free transfers for a year after coaching change is made but must sit out a year under other circumstances.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This just reinforces my belief that athletes and coaches should be allowed to transfer 24 hours a day to any program. Why get a grant or a contract if you can so easily move on? Free agent nation.

Good for James, but the system is increasingly broken.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Two more qb transfers wouldn't surprise me in the least.
I could see Gleason heading to Toledo. His old HS coach is now the QB coach there and their starting QB is a senior. I'd love for Gleason to stay, but I know it's not necessarily in his best interest as a QB. In that case, I feel like Yates would stay as QB2, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he left. I just think the transfer portal is going to be so stuffed soon that unless you know you've got a guaranteed spot somewhere or you're an established commodity, you ought to wait it out a bit.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This just reinforces my belief that athletes and coaches should be allowed to transfer 24 hours a day to any program. Why get a grant or a contract if you can so easily move on? Free agent nation.

Good for James, but the system is increasingly broken.
I have no issue with players transferring easily. Coaches can. regular students can. Choosing a school is not easy for any 18 year old kid so why should we lock in athletes? For most of them, it's their last chance to play so why would we want them to languish on the bench waiting their turn? For every Joe Burrow or Justin Fields you hear of, most of them sort of fade off into the sunset anyways. Even Mills at Nebraska, would we even know who he was/where he was at if he hadn't been here for a cup of coffee?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I could see Gleason heading to Toledo. His old HS coach is now the QB coach there and their starting QB is a senior. I'd love for Gleason to stay, but I know it's not necessarily in his best interest as a QB. In that case, I feel like Yates would stay as QB2, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he left. I just think the transfer portal is going to be so stuffed soon that unless you know you've got a guaranteed spot somewhere or you're an established commodity, you ought to wait it out a bit.

With the free eligibility year, it might make sense for Yates to stick around and get a degree. Could quite possibly end up with 2 or 3 years left to play.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I think Gleason will transfer to Toledo cause of the fit with his former high school coach and the senior qb at Toledo being gone after this year. I don’t see Yates transferring cause I’m pretty sure we were his only power 5 offer out of high school and he can stay around get his degree. I think he would be a amazing graduate assistant for us and be the quarterbacks coach on the sidelines since we don’t have a qb coach on sidelines currently.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I have no issue with players transferring easily. Coaches can. regular students can. Choosing a school is not easy for any 18 year old kid so why should we lock in athletes? For most of them, it's their last chance to play so why would we want them to languish on the bench waiting their turn? For every Joe Burrow or Justin Fields you hear of, most of them sort of fade off into the sunset anyways. Even Mills at Nebraska, would we even know who he was/where he was at if he hadn't been here for a cup of coffee?
Coaches and regular students don't receive grants.

It is what it is. But it's destroying college sports. One of the big advantages of pro sports is that players play for a team for 4, 8, 12 years. There is almost no loyalty in college sports these days regardless of whether you are a player, a coach, or ...even ... a donor. It's an industry.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
If I was Gleason, with this being a freebie year, and now with another speed bump out of my way, I'd give it one more year and give Sims a good run for my money. I see Sims starting job as being vulnerable. I just done see why anyone would want to give up a GT degree unless it's in their cards to make alot of money playing pro ball.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Coaches and regular students don't receive grants.

It is what it is. But it's destroying college sports. One of the big advantages of pro sports is that players play for a team for 4, 8, 12 years. There is almost no loyalty in college sports these days regardless of whether you are a player, a coach, or ...even ... a donor. It's an industry.
Pro athletes are free to negotiate the terms of their contracts, and can request a trade or to be released at anytime. The team doesn’t always comply with their wishes, but the player still holds the power over the team simply because the player is the product and has the leverage of refusing to play.

Regular students absolutely receive grants, I’m not sure why you think they don’t. Yet, they’re still free to transfer if they receive one. While this has changed in college sports in the past few years, regular students can’t have certain schools blocked if they choose to transfer.

You say college sports is an industry, but not allowing free range of transfer is extremely authoritarian. Why should a player be forced to go to and play for a school he doesn’t enjoy being at? The vast majority of transfers aren’t occurring at the blue blood level, so it’s not like only the powerhouses are receiving and losing transfers. 25% of regular students who begin their college careers at one 4-year school end up transferring to another one. Why shouldn’t athletes have the same ability?