Jameis Winston

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think a better thing to read if you want to be objective is the decision in the code of conduct hearing:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/full-copy-of-jameis-winston-hearing-decision-122114

The police didn't conduct their investigation in a professional manner as they should have. The NYT article is well written, but it does have a biased slant. This article is missing some exculpatory facts that are listed in the code-of-conduct decision. This article includes such things as: "For nearly a year, the events of that evening remained a well-kept secret until the woman’s allegations burst into the open, roiling the university and threatening a prized asset: Jameis Winston, one of the marquee names of college football." So, according the the NYT, FSU and the TPD new a year ahead of time that the QB on the scout team was going to be the leading candidate for the Heisman Trophy? The fact that the TPD did a poor job does not indicate anything about the guilt or innocence of Winston.

In the code-of-conduct decision, Justice Harding states: "In light of all of the circumstances, I do not find the credibility of one story substantially stronger than that of the other. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses." A person with extensive legal experience, all of the evidence, and a chance to ask questions of the accuser, accused, and witnesses was unable to decide even on a 50% basis who was being more truthful. I don't know what happened that night. I'm not going to try to decide what did happen with limited information when people with more experience in such matters and more access to information are not able to make a determination.

However to the question about work ethic, I do think that players who have great talent but little work ethic are more like Michael Vick. I have not watched him play in the NFL at all. In college Winston would work plays. He did do some good things on broken plays, but IIRC, he shined more when the play wasn't broken. Vick on the other hand shined most when the play broke down and he had to run. Running and juking are things that high-talent low-work-ethic players are good at. Understanding the pocket and working through progressions are not.
All I can say is JW was lucky he didn't play football in Athens, Ga. (Or anywhere else, for that matter.) Even if you take away the entire rape case, he's done plenty of stupid things as the face of the FSU football program and by default the face of the University for me to form an unfavorable opinion of his character. If he had paid 1/10 the attention to his personal behavior as he did his football readiness, he'd have been almost a saint. Like I said earlier, every FSU grad I know can't stand the guy in spite of his football prowess and national title. I can't fathom why so many on here defend him like he's their brother. A scumbag on a team of scumbags. Yes, most of that is my opinion but that's what we do on message boards.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
All I can say is JW was lucky he didn't play football in Athens, Ga. (Or anywhere else, for that matter.) Even if you take away the entire rape case, he's done plenty of stupid things as the face of the FSU football program and by default the face of the University for me to form an unfavorable opinion of his character. If he had paid 1/10 the attention to his personal behavior as he did his football readiness, he'd have been almost a saint. Like I said earlier, every FSU grad I know can't stand the guy in spite of his football prowess and national title. I can't fathom why so many on here defend him like he's their brother. A scumbag on a team of scumbags. Yes, most of that is my opinion but that's what we do on message boards.

Please don't understand my post as a proclamation of his innocence. I saw an online opinion piece on the UGA newspaper and many UGA form posts that listed items that indicated guilt and ignored exculpatory facts. Those posts exclaimed how he is obviously guilty. I saw online opinion pieces and form posts on FSU sites that listed exculpatory facts and ignored facts that indicated guilt. Those posts exclaimed how the accuser was obviously lying. What I am attempting to say is that people with access to more information than me have not been able to conclusively decide what happened.

UGA fans like to proclaim that they would have won many MNCs if it wasn't for their lower tolerance for misbehavior. Those same fans will then refute Fuller Cup analysis. They will vehemently defend players who act poorly until the player is released. Some mutt fans that I know criticize Grantham for his behavior in the Vanderbilt game. However, immediately after that game, those exact same fans were adamant that coaches should "protect their players" exactly as Grantham did. People have a tendency to arrive at an opinion and then select facts to support that opinion. Especially on online forums.

GT had a somewhat similar incident a few years ago in which a DB was accused of sexual assault. GT suspended the player until it was announced that the DA was not going to press charges. As such, I would have to agree that had he been a GT player, he would not have continued to play. However, I wouldn't agree with "anywhere else". If he had played at Baylor, the football coaches would have pressured the accuser to shut up and leave school.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Two things, jmo:
1) on the issue of work ethic, I've only heard positive things about the time/effort he's put into learning/ mastering his craft. work ethic was the initial issue and distinct from character issues
2) on character: if he were my kid, I'd be disappointed even if his side of the story were true. I don't think he's a high character guy, and only time will tell whether he will mature out of it.

I'm much more worried by grown folk who think it's okay to speak casually about guys as rapists as long as they're not a brother.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If I recall correctly , his dad complained about the FSU coaches not keeping him under surveillance twenty-four hours a day. That says a lot to me about his dad and Jameis.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Two things, jmo:
1) on the issue of work ethic, I've only heard positive things about the time/effort he's put into learning/ mastering his craft. work ethic was the initial issue and distinct from character issues
2) on character: if he were my kid, I'd be disappointed even if his side of the story were true. I don't think he's a high character guy, and only time will tell whether he will mature out of it.
3) I'm much more worried by grown folk who think it's okay to speak casually about guys as rapists as long as they're not a brother.
Learn how to add, that's three things.