Jahmyr Gibbs & what might have been...

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
He is currently “rated” the #2 RB and projected for the second round. He could bomb at the combine, but one of the few things he could do to improve his draft prospects is to blow away the Heisman field next year.
Really, unless Bama and Saban swear they’re going to change their offense to win him the Heisman, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze of staying. He should go now

Patterson is 32 and algier is a power back. Just saying

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
FYI every NFL caliber RB should leave when they can, they only have so many carries/ hits before their bodies start to breakdown or suffer career ending injury. Marcus Lattimore is the model for this unfortunately.
This^^^
Poor Lattimore, came back from the initial injury and then got busted up again. I think that he Skip to see you at South Carolina in was drafted, but I don't recall him playing much of it all in the NFL.

The man could run.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Any player who is gonna be drafted in the top 2 rounds shouldn’t play in a bowl game or any college playoffs. I know some are gonna jump on that statement but Lattimore is the example of why players awaiting millions in a few months should not play in exhibition games and all college games are exhibitions since the players don’t get a cut from the TV money or playoff money. I hate it, but you know life changing money is way more important than any college game.

jrgray

Georgia Tech Fan
Coming out of Bama, he will be chosen higher in the draft than he would have been playing at Tech this year. Sucks, but that is the current reality of our program.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Thought he and Bama would have had a lot better season. Is Saban’s time about over?
10-2 and in the top 10 CFP. Is that really "is Saban's time over" territory? They still have a legitimate shot of backing their way into the CFP. People's expectations have gone completely past reality. OSU fans are talking about firing Ryan Day who has lost a grand total of 5 games in 4 years.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
So, I just took a look at the regular season stats for Jahmyr Gibbs.

136 carries
850 yds
7 TD's

143 carries
746 yds
4 TD's

I dunno. He had to do what he thought best. But only 100 yards more at Bama? Where he's just another cog in a machine that grinds them out?

He coulda been a legend at Tech, and his role might have been the same or bigger under our new leadership.
I really don't think he would have made a big difference.We had 2 decent RBs. OL and Dline were the problem .That an QB continuity.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I really don't think he would have made a big difference.We had 2 decent RBs. OL and Dline were the problem .That an QB continuity.
I don’t know the answer to this, but how many receptions and yards receiving did our rb have? He was also our kick returner right? I think people are glossing over how much of our production was centered around him. I think we win the UVA game for sure with him on the roster. Not sure if he makes a difference in any other.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
To be some “smart folks” you guys have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I have watched Bama play a decent amount this year and there were games where he was flat out the best player on the field. The kid has been a star amongst stars at Bama and his numbers clearly don’t mean the same over in Tuscaloosa as they did here. Instead of being a hater be happy that the kid even came to this train wreck that we had here.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
FYI every NFL caliber RB should leave when they can, they only have so many carries/ hits before their bodies start to breakdown or suffer career ending injury. Marcus Lattimore is the model for this unfortunately.
This makes sense, but then I think about OJ, Dorsett, Campbell...has something changed? Or are these just notable exceptions?

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting take. Why do you say that?
He's so talented that you adjust your offense to get him more touches, but his skill set is as a change of pace back. You end up forcing the ball to him in situations where he has negative plays that kill drives. Yes, you get the occasional explosive plays, but that's not how games are won if the cost is drive killing plays.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
He's so talented that you adjust your offense to get him more touches, but his skill set is as a change of pace back. You end up forcing the ball to him in situations where he has negative plays that kill drives. Yes, you get the occasional explosive plays, but that's not how games are won if the cost is drive killing plays.
He splits time with Jase McLellan. If anything, they are not doing what you are saying. He's getting plenty of touches, but there are quite a few RB with > 200 and he's at 188. McLellan is at 119 and then there are another 100 touches to other backs. Hard to really say BOB is "forcing" the ball to him.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This makes sense, but then I think about OJ, Dorsett, Campbell...has something changed? Or are these just notable exceptions?
Personal opinion is that with the introduction of the spread offense, players have gotten faster vs bulkier and are hitting each other with more force/ velocity vs the old school 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Also appears that coaches/players are trying to maximize players skills by pushing them to their limits with technology (aka our catapult system) resulting in more of these acl tears as well.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
As the above poster stated. Back in the day the RB had the speed and in many cases with Earle Campbel, Franco Harris, and others they had the size and were bigger than Linebackers and DB’s. That all changed in the late 80’s and 90’s when LB’s became the old defensive ends and DB’s became the old style RB’s. RB’s get hit by 18 wheelers every game now. In the old days they get hit by Accords.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Can't fault the kid. I mean, the coaches were abandoning ship... why wouldn't he as well?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The monetary part of the NFL has changed the value of the RB position and analytics say RB1’s value isn’t much greater than RB2’s value. Rookie contracts are fixed. Second contracts get expensive. You won’t see many RBs as primary ball carriers past 6 years at the most anymore.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
what could have been, huh?
with this line and this coaching staff?
I hope he makes a fine running back in the NFL. Other than that, this is a fairly pointless exercise.