Article Jackets to Host Prairie View A&M Friday Afternoon

• Highlight

Jackets to Host Prairie View A&M Friday Afternoon

Transfer center James Banks (photo credit to The Athletic)

The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets look to continue to protect their home court Friday, hosting the Prairie View A&M Panthers. The game tips at 4:00pm EST and will be broadcast on ACC Network Extra.

Pastner’s Yellow Jackets are 3-0 at home this year and 18-4 in out of conference home games during his tenure. Currently, Georgia Tech ranks #71 in the KenPom rankings while Prairie View A&M sits at #277. Prairie View A&M averages 69 points per game on offense and surrenders 74.8 on the the season. Kenpom predicts a final score of 78-62 in favor of the good guys for this one.

The Panthers come into the game with a 1-5 record. They are led by fourth year coach Byron Smith. During his tenure the Panthers have a record of 36-49 and have never finished with a winning record. It should be noted that he has only coached two full seasons. They are a member of the Southwest Athletic Conference. A traditional one bid league, the SWAC has been represented in the NCAA tournament by Texas Southern in 4 of the last 5 NCAA tournaments.

Smith’s crew comes into McCamish with a back court trio of guards that can score the ball. Seniors Gary Blackston and Taishaun Johnson along with junior Gerard Andrus combine to average 37.8 points per game so far this season. Though they are led by their backcourt, the Panthers are not a threat from deep. They currently rank 334th in the nation, shooting 25.5% from three. They are however 50th in nation in three point percentage allowed at 27.7%.

The Panthers are led by junior Devonte Patterson in the paint. An undersized post, Patterson averages 12.8 points and 7 rebounds per game. He is not much of a rim protector, collecting just 2 blocks in four games.

The Jackets and Panthers have three common opponents so far this season. While Tech is 3-0 against Lamar, UTRGV and East Carolina, Prairie View lost to all three squads. Those games are all part of the Panther’s current five game losing streak. The first game of that streak was a loss at Baylor, a game in which Prairie View actually hung around, eventually falling 91-80. To date, the Bears are the only power 5 school that the Panthers have faced. It should be noted that the Panthers did play UNC-Greensboro tough in Greensboro, only falling by 8 points.

This is a game that the Yellow Jackets should handle quite easily. It’s not a game that I would expect to see Evan Cole, as his presence is most likely unnecessary. My prediction for today is that James Banks has a big day. The transfer big man saw his minutes played jump from 16 to 19 last game and given the energy and rim protection he brings, I think that trend continues. He is currently averaging 16.5 rebounds and 5.5 blocks per 40 minutes played through his first three games.

In light of Prairie View A&M’s poor shooting, I would expect Pastner’s crew to sag a bit and pack the paint, daring the Panthers to shoot. Missed long shots typically lead to long rebounds which could lead to easy baskets in transition for the Jackets. The line for this game has moved from GT(-14.5) to (-16.5) and back down to (-16). Pastner and the Jackets should cover easily at home.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Chat is live (ish)

Gtswarm.com/chat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Are we ready to accept what we are or are we still “gonna surprise some people?”

Why do you ask that like it is one or the other. We are a young team that plays good defense with the talent to get streaky hot from beyond the arc but rely too much on underclassmen in that regard so we will be inconsistent. We will surprise some teams when our shots are falling, and the inconsistency in that regard will probably cost us. Inconsistent is what we are, and will probably be the entire year.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just listened today but seems we don't move on offense. Not the end of the world to have a game like this but we have to get movement on offense.

Haven't seen St Johns but did watch NW get boxed by Fresno State. NW was long but otherwise unimpressive. Did not shoot particularly well and their defense was pretty meh. Especially perimeter D. Even with today's showing I like our chances.

Deleted member 2897

This was a good outcome - we lost the game and will hopefully learn a lot from that - but we didn’t have to take an L in the L Column like we did last year against Grambling.

Alvarado reminds me of the Austin twins - nobody has a bigger heart.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
But we aren’t hitting 3’s all that well

We seem to be streaky with 3s although we are so much better when they come in the flow of the offense. A lot of the ones today, even wide open, were not in the flow

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank goodness for Alvarado! 9 straight points to get us back ahead. He willed us to this win so that we could avoid an embarrassing loss. Alston had some big shots too. Horrible shooting day, especially in the 1st half. Thankful for the win. Might would have lost this last year.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
This team has a defensive identity. It hasn’t found an offensive one. If it finds one on offense, it can be good.

I was there, totally agree with the statement.

D was pretty good most of the game, PV made some tough shots and had several shot clock violations.
First half (and part of second), offense stood around and relied too much on someone beating their man - cuts were passive, Banks/AD did not distribute well from high post (we have been spoiled with Lammers passing from there). When we got open looks no one made any. The only run in first half was off the defense. Last years team probably loses this one. If we play like this against most ACC teams we lose by 15-20.

I hope Alston does not wake up - I never expected him to play at level he has ... we may have lost this without him

When AD and Banks were in together, the defensive end was very good - luckily Jose got hot and offense was able to score with them both in there.
AD did have two nice assists.

Cole did not dress - no more boot. Moses was solid most of the time he played. A lot of small ball but a lot of that was how we matched up best.