1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Article Jackets Look for First Win in Cameron Since '04

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by Peacone36, Jan 24, 2019.

1. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

I was actually quite proud of GT today. I remember just two years ago when I felt about AD the way most of us feel about Moses Wright today (DON'T DRIBBLE, and god no, DON'T SHOOT)....but AD has really turned into a nice big for us. If you can hold your own in Cameron, you can play anywhere. That we were ahead by 2 at the half and even more early in the 2nd half was.....completely unexpected. Quite impressed by the defensive effort and gameplan. I have not looked at scores, but this is the best showing I can recall against Duke (home or away) in some years. If this staff can develop someone like AD, maybe there is indeed hope for Moses and Evan next year and especially in their senior seasons.

Overall, while the turnovers just drive me nuts sometimes....this was an effort that made me feel good. I will definitely be there Tuesday night to cheer us one against UNC. I think we have a shot at that game IF we have all our guys healthy.

iopjacket, lauraee and THWG like this.
  2. g0lftime

g0lftime Helluva Engineer

I listened to Coach K in the car after the game. He gave a lot of credit to our D. Said we play our zone a little different than others with our 1 3 1 or 2 1 2. Said he didn't make any strategic changes in the second half but his team played with more energy in the second half. I thought we got tIred on D and missed a lot of close shots with no O rebounds in 2nd half. We played well at times and Gueye has improved this year. Pretty decent ball handler as well. Wish he could draw more fouls. Devoe can become a really good player when he learns to create his own shot. There is some potential on this team.

3. Peacone36

Peacone36 ACCBasketballReport.com Contributing Writer

Pastner said in the post game that we need Banks and Gueye to be better. 9-21 and 10 rebounds aren’t going to get it done.

He also said for us it’s not about defense, it’s about effort

THWG, CuseJacket and lauraee like this.
  4. SteamWhistle

SteamWhistle Helluva Engineer

Had to listen to the game at work, Was very impressed. I wish AD was only a Junior though, next years team should make it to the tournament, baring Injury, IMO It’s a make it or break it year for Pastner.

5. g0lftime

g0lftime Helluva Engineer

We missed a lot of shots under the basket and didn't draw fouls. Need to do both.

6. Peacone36

We didn’t draw fouls because we were in Cameron. There was one point in the first half where right in the middle of an offensive possession James Banks just turned to the ref (looked like Jones but I dunno for sure) and just said “Cmon Man”

Vrankovic was allllll over him

New Old Guy, kg01, THWG and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rzunz

Rzunz Georgia Tech Fan

Interesting that Duke is very young, even younger than we are(I think 5* Bolden is the only upperclassman who plays much). But they have so much NBA lottery talent! We have been beaten this year by upperclass-loaded teams(Tennessee, etc.). Duke makes lots of youthful mistakes like we do, but can overcome most times with pure athleticism. I am encouraged by our improving Jackets. Also think Jordan Usher will be a talented workhorse to complement next year.

THWG likes this.
  8. CuseJacket

CuseJacket Administrator Staff Member

9. Wrecked

Wrecked Ramblin' Wreck

We commit way too many stupid turnovers. Effort today was great. Pastner needs to understand that getting a T isn't always a bad thing. Frankly I think he is intimidated by this conference and should end his "cursing" rule and light up an official. Duke is better than us, but again I like the effort. One other observation, Devoe doesn't have the ball handling skills to play PG in this league on a consistent basis. We need a back up.

10. bke1984

bke1984 Helluva Engineer

My observations:

1. We could have won this game. That in itself is promising. I think we got a little over confident when we went up 8 and started trying to push too much in situations that weren’t quite right. Duke went on a run and we couldn’t recover

2. Gueye does some good stuff, but also a lot of really stupid stuff. Got to make better decisions in games like that

3. Someone earlier criticized Devoe. I haven’t been high on him to this point, but I think he made some great drives for scores today. He needs to do that a bit more. If he can do it in Cameron then he can do it against most other teams irrelevant of where the game is played. Time for him to step up

4. We lost, but I was proud of our effort today. I think we are finally making strides in the right direction...and it’s been a long time since I’ve felt that way. We show flashes at times that look like ‘03-04. I’m excited about next year.

11. alagold

alagold Helluva Engineer

Realistically we can't expect much more than we got today.Great DEF and effort everywhere.We just don't have--the physical strength --and-the Offensive consistency to play with dook but they certainly didn't look good in their win.
    Just be glad Gueye is stepping up as a SR. With Banks,we are a threat up front.If we had ONE consistent 3 pt guy-look out.

12. Peacone36

Well, ya know, you actually have to play the frickin guy in the 2nd half. I do not for the life of me understand CJPs rotation patterns. He had Moses at the scorers table multiple times and brought him back today. There is no way that kid should be in today’s game when every possession counts

13. slugboy

slugboy Moderator Staff Member

I was happy with parts of the game. Devoe is growing in his ball handling and ability to take point. Three point defense is getting good. Jose is improving, but he doesn’t have to be everything.
    We turned the ball over a lot, but some of it was aggressive play that didn’t quite connect.
    I saw some smart play where Duke played tough defense, and we were patient and found a way to get the ball to a teammate. I saw Cole make a really good pass to (I think) Moore when Cole was blanketed defensively. I saw Banks battling with four players around him under the basket. I saw Haywood sweep across the baseline beautifully, but get the ball swatted as he tried to lay the ball up past the basket; story of the game, maybe.
    Some people have mentioned the scoring difference at the foul line, but to me a huge difference was how Duke could score from 10-12 feet out. They were deadly there in the second half. AD has a hook he likes from two feet out that he’s about 50% with, but Duke seemed to be automatic with the 10’ jumper. I wish our bigs could do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kmag and THWG like this.
  14. THWG

THWG Helluva Engineer

I just couldn't help but laugh when they called a reach in on Jose with about 3 minutes (IIRC) and it was on Jones. Dude had been all over Jose all game and really the one time we go to man, Jose tries to return the favor and gets called for a reach in. That epitomized the game for me.

GTRX7, lauraee and Peacone36 like this.
  15. GTRock

GTRock Helluva Engineer

Even though Duke shot the ball horribly, the first half of this game was encouraging. I'm not a fan of how we dump it in to our bigs and just stand around, as if they are superstars. We need more motion. Our best offensive possessions are when the ball moves, and we do actually have guards with quickness and handling ability. They aren't great 3 pt shooters so why have them stand around like you're hoping the D gets sucked in to the post for an open shot, and when it doesn't you force our bigs to take tough shots. Devoe showed ability today. We need him to be more confident & aggressive. Alvarado is aggressive but needs to be more under control and cut down the turnovers. Maybe that's why CJP is afraid to take the reigns off them, but we have athletic bigs and capable guards. Let them go.

16. lauraee

lauraee Helluva Engineer