It’s time for all of them to be fired…

Scubapro

Banned
Not the coaches, trainers, players or fans but the Georgia Tech Administration,

College athletics is nothing more than an advertisement for the school and for fifty plus years the school has not been holding up their end of their deal. The school tolerates being mediocre and expects the students, alumni and community to support it.

Georgia Tech has one of the largest endowments in the country but how much do they spend on advertisement AKA athletics? They contribute next to nothing. They expect the advertising department to be self-funding. The advertising department works diligently on a shoe string budget and minimal staff. We have talented staff and players but not nearly enough to be effective. It’s time the school contribute the funds so we can get the personnel required to run a competent department.

The school refuses to stand up to the Board of Regents and gain a major to attract a broader group of student athlete. Yes, Tech needs to keep its integrity as an institution but an education or media major will not tarnish its illustrious reputation. Tech is not MIT or even Cal Tech it’s time to set our own identity. Tech can be better than either of those schools but it won’t happen by trying to be them. So it’s time to quit trying to be something you are not. Get the major needed to staff our advertising department with talented ambassadors.

Changing coaches will not solve the problem. Since 1960 Tech football has been ~.500 with some excellent coaches. During this time there is one constant. The constant is low to no support from the school. This is Georgia Tech’s fault. The problem is the school doesn’t care. It’s time to get their attention.

Georgia Tech you are now put on suspension until you improve and become worthy of the Athletic Department the Students, Alumni and community demand. Failure to meet this requirement will result in termination.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
God, I pray so.

But too many are worried they do not have the cajones to make it on their own, that their only worth as a human being is a sheepskin - life is just a paper chase.

The GT admin has long wanted to reap benefits from successful athletic teams and the pub it brings, while at the same time spitting on the GTAA when they need a life jacket.

****in ingrates.

College athletics is nothing more than an advertisement for the school and for fifty plus years the school has not been holding up their end of their deal. The school tolerates being mediocre and expects the students, alumni and community to support it.

Georgia Tech has one of the largest endowments in the country but how much do they spend on advertisement AKA athletics? They contribute next to nothing. They expect the advertising department to be self-funding. The advertising department works diligently on a shoe string budget and minimal staff. We have talented staff and players but not nearly enough to be effective. It’s time the school contribute the funds so we can get the personnel required to run a competent department.

The school refuses to stand up to the Board of Regents and gain a major to attract a broader group of student athlete. Yes, Tech needs to keep its integrity as an institution but an education or media major will not tarnish its illustrious reputation. Tech is not MIT or even Cal Tech it’s time to set our own identity. Tech can be better than either of those schools but it won’t happen by trying to be them. So it’s time to quit trying to be something you are not. Get the major needed to staff our advertising department with talented ambassadors.

Changing coaches will not solve the problem. Since 1960 Tech football has been ~.500 with some excellent coaches. During this time there is one constant. The constant is low to no support from the school. This is Georgia Tech’s fault. The problem is the school doesn’t care. It’s time to get their attention.

Georgia Tech you are now put on suspension until you improve and become worthy of the Athletic Department the Students, Alumni and community demand. Failure to meet this requirement will result in termination.
I don't know that the administration REFUSES to stand up to the BOR. I think they have in the past, but to no avail. That being said, however, I agree with everything you said

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
They contribute next to nothing. They expect the advertising department to be self-funding.

Truth be told, they contribute nothing. The $$$ the Hill provides are out of state fees waived as part of the tuition grant. The net net is it cost Tech zero.

The burden is on the GTAA to raise the necessary funds. They have no effective booster program and the merchandising is substandard.

As long as the GTAA is happy with the product, expect no changes.

Truth be told, they contribute nothing. The $$$ the Hill provides are out of state fees waived as part of the tuition grant. The net net is it cost Tech zero.

The burden is on the GTAA to raise the necessary funds. They have no effective booster program and the merchandising is substandard.

Let's hope that that is one of the first things, if not the first, that TStan addresses

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

I like your style. Hit em where it hurts. The truth!

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

You realize we now have a Liberal Arts College with several liberal arts majors. You realize that the liberal arts majors require one semester of something called Survey of Calculus that is a far cry from the calculus courses engineering majors take. You realize that GT brags about a 97% freshman retention rate. You realize that people from all over the world are beating down GT's doors to get in, and less than 10% of applicants this year will end up being freshmen. Don't you?

Today's GT is a far cry from the school I graduated from in the '70s--- when GT bragged about a 50% attrition rate. You majored in engineering, science, math, architecture or some variant of management. Some folks like to believe it's still the same today. It's not. The average GPA is significantly higher than it was 40 years ago, hence the higher retention rate.

In the summer of 1989, I introduced Bobby Ross at a GT Club meeting. Coach Ross said his goal was to win a National Championship. He had won, what, 2 games total in the previous 2 seasons? You could see the smirks on people's faces. The excuse was the same--we can't compete because of academics. Bobby Ross and George O'Leary proved otherwise--and Homer Rice played a major supporting role.

It's harder to win at GT, but it's not impossible. Kim King said we could be regular top 25 team, and it's true.

I agree that the administration is no friend to athletics, but it's not a lack of majors that is the GTAA's problem. It's a lack of money, and the administration doesn't like it that the GTAA competes with academics for money. Private schools have the same problem, and GT is similar to private schools in operation. The GTAA will continue to be held back as long the GTAA Board is dominated by professors appointed by the President. A majority of the Board should be GT alums and business people. With a better Board I don't believe the money wasting mistakes of the past 15 years would have occurred.

If we want things to change, it starts with having a GTAA Board that has a majority of GT alums and business people, and not professors. That's what UGA has, and not everything they do over there is incorrect. I am adjunct professor in a professional degree program at a major university. No matter how smart they are, very few of the full time profs have any business sense.

Stansbury has his work cut out for him. He has to change the Braine culture back to the Rice culture. He may have the hardest job in America. Peterson will not be his ally. He needs an ally like Kim King was for Homer. I pray that he will find that ally.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
Where is GT's billionaire? All this bragging about 1 out of 6 grads are millionaires? Put up or shut up!
Do we have any billionaire alum?

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You realize we now have a Liberal Arts College with several liberal arts majors. You realize that the liberal arts majors require one semester of something called Survey of Calculus that is a far cry from the calculus courses engineering majors take. You realize that GT brags about a 97% freshman retention rate. You realize that people from all over the world are beating down GT's doors to get in, and less than 10% of applicants this year will end up being freshmen. Don't you?

Today's GT is a far cry from the school I graduated from in the '70s--- when GT bragged about a 50% attrition rate. You majored in engineering, science, math, architecture or some variant of management. Some folks like to believe it's still the same today. It's not. The average GPA is significantly higher than it was 40 years ago, hence the higher retention rate.

In the summer of 1989, I introduced Bobby Ross at a GT Club meeting. Coach Ross said his goal was to win a National Championship. He had won, what, 2 games total in the previous 2 seasons? You could see the smirks on people's faces. The excuse was the same--we can't compete because of academics. Bobby Ross and George O'Leary proved otherwise--and Homer Rice played a major supporting role.

It's harder to win at GT, but it's not impossible. Kim King said we could be regular top 25 team, and it's true.

I agree that the administration is no friend to athletics, but it's not a lack of majors that is the GTAA's problem. It's a lack of money, and the administration doesn't like it that the GTAA competes with academics for money. Private schools have the same problem, and GT is similar to private schools in operation. The GTAA will continue to be held back as long the GTAA Board is dominated by professors appointed by the President. A majority of the Board should be GT alums and business people. With a better Board I don't believe the money wasting mistakes of the past 15 years would have occurred.

If we want things to change, it starts with having a GTAA Board that has a majority of GT alums and business people, and not professors. That's what UGA has, and not everything they do over there is incorrect. I am adjunct professor in a professional degree program at a major university. No matter how smart they are, very few of the full time profs have any business sense.

Stansbury has his work cut out for him. He has to change the Braine culture back to the Rice culture. He may have the hardest job in America. Peterson will not be his ally. He needs an ally like Kim King was for Homer. I pray that he will find that ally.
Agree with everything in your post. Excellent points. and I will add one thing - because we only admit the very brightest these days (average GPA significantly higher...) it is harder for our athletes to compete in the classroom. If you talk to any number of professors at Tech, they will tell you this is true.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A thread about whether to fire the Defensive Coordinator has 36 pages, and this thread, which has the truth spelled out, has less than one.

Sad to see that even GT alums don't see the forest for the trees.

Things won't change at GT until someone forces the Admin to change. Bud Peterson is more worried about who uses what bathroom in North Carolina, and extracting political revenge, than he is about GT sports. If I had the power and wealth of a Kim King I would try to play that role. Alas, I have the power and wealth of Kim King's driver.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I like the fact that you've raised it, but there is virtually nothing this board can do. Tech has "outsourced" athletics to the GTAA, installed a board and for the 400 or so students they support ... from Tech's perspective, they are done.

Unlike schools like Alabama or even Auburn, there is a HIGH demand that the university field a competitive team. It helps that Alabama is so successful that it returns $$$ to the university and funds some academic programs. That keeps the faculty in line.

From my perspective, the GTAA is satisfied with the state of things. They made a profit, things are working, what's to worry?

Sadly, the same mentality existed in 1979 when the program was about as bad as it could get. It seems as if it takes a crisis to get things moving on the athletic side.

That said, the glory days for me were AFTER Homer Rice showed up and started fund-raising, building new facilities and really paying attention to athletics. With Todd having both played here and worked for Rice, I'm hopeful that he will have the moxie to get things moving.

Final thought ... an influential board of donors always helps. I'm not sure we have that, but it works wonders. I had heard that when MBob resigned, Petersen told the search committee "hire whoever you want". I don't know if that means "get the best" or "get a warm butt in the seat."

More to come, I am sure. But if we want to effect change ... I would suggest you BLAST the GTAA at every opportunity, especially in the AJC. When Bark Madley attacks Tech, the response should always be how feckless the GTAA is. After a while, they'll get tired of getting pounded in the press.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

Bingo.

Seems to me, that athletics is secondary and trivial in the eyes of some.
The education is next to none and they know that so they don't care about sports, IMO.
I'm not saying it should be a football factory school but my goodness it could be better.