It’s still easier than at Bama right?...

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...competing-engineering/h0RwtpjpuM8DlrIGwY5KpO/

Will be interesting to see how the uga engineering program will affect not only our football program moving forward but the entire institute.

No doubt the BOR and state legislature hate GT.
It will have zero effect on our football program, since very few football players study engineering, no matter at what school anywhere. And I don't think it will have any effect on the entire institute either, because compared to Tech and similar schools, what they have in the cesspool is little more than a vo-tech school for students who, for whatever reasons, can't get into real engineering schools. That being said, however, it would have made much more since to have branches of Georgia Tech throughout the state, and/or junior college engineering programs which could serve as "feeders" into Tech.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It will have zero effect on our football program, since very few football players study engineering, no matter at what school anywhere. And I don't think it will have any effect on the entire institute either, because compared to Tech and similar schools, what they have in the cesspool is little more than a vo-tech school for students who, for whatever reasons, can't get into real engineering schools. That being said, however, it would have made much more since to have branches of Georgia Tech throughout the state, and/or junior college engineering programs which could serve as "feeders" into Tech.

Well they have landed some pretty good players who claim engineering and academics are important to them. Time will tell if they stick to it...but if it’s easier at Tech than Bama GT should never again lose any such players to uga right?

Not certain about the institute either honestly. What you say may be true today but may be far different in twenty years. Tech legacies with 4.0s aren’t getting in. They need somewhere to go in state. Other schools including uga are going to grow their engineering schools.

Tech is also focusing more and more on research as time goes by and less on producing practical engineers for the workforce than they did 20 years ago. If that creates a vacuum in the workplace, well you know what nature abhors.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
While it’s very true that UGAg’s engineering program doesn’t hold a candle to Tech’s, it’s completely false and probably a little asinine to believe it doesn’t affect Tech’s football program. It’s well known that companies like to hire student athletes, both because of their teamwork skills, and they know they’re dedicated. So anybody that plays 4 years of major college football and has an engineering degree will have no trouble finding a job. Players know this, coaches know this, and recruiters know this. A prime example, Josh Dobbs, majored in AE at Tennessee, and never had the slightest intention of coming to Tech.

The BOR is handcuffing GT by not allowing the institute to expand its curriculum, but letting UGA do whatever it wants. It won’t be long until the BOR has pushed UGA ahead of Tech in every academic category.

LibertyTurns

Banned
If you honestly think UGA will ever surpass Georgia Tech in any sort of engineering study you’re delusional.
Moron said mutt students compete with GT Engineers. For what, spot in line at Driver’s License office?

The day I’m picking between a mutt certificate holder and GT Engineer for employment is the day GT closes its doors. No way we ever sick that bad.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
“The brands are different, that’s all,” Gattie said. “Our engineers compete with their engineers for jobs...”

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Oh man, that’s great! Thanks, I needed that this morning.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
“[Georgia Tech’s] undergraduate program was ranked No. 4 by U.S. News & World Report.”

Since I had time I checked the rankings. uGA, comes in at #108.

Of their scheduled opponents this season, the following schools are ranked higher:

Missouri, Notre Dame, Florida, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia Tech

...and South Carolina comes in at a tie at 108.

If they make the SECCG Alabama is higher too.

But at least they edged Murray State and Arkansas State who didn’t even make the list!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Tech legacies with 4.0s aren’t getting in
That’s a little surprising. The legacy acceptance rate is 15% higher than the general applicant. Are there that many applicants applying with perfect GPAs? Even so, I know they have a transfer program that pretty much guarantees Tech legacies transfer acceptance as a Sophomore if they meet some defined requirements.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If you honestly think UGA will ever surpass Georgia Tech in any sort of engineering study you’re delusional.

Ga tech is a research institute

Buknell , CalTech , MIT( have better programs to prepare engineers for a career in research engineering. Tech does great at this but very few
I wonder how many of this board are doing or supervising high tech engineering ? Most engineers move out of that field and into areas they are gifted and passionate about. What little engineering most do is application engineering where the same thing is being done over and over.

I know how much application engineering has been automated because as owner of engineering company I helped it occur. Back in the day - I worked under several layers of engineers who reviewed my calculations written on quadrille paper. Little changed till the microchip became robust and monitors inexpensive. About 12 yesrs ago we moved from high dollar sr engineers doing calc to engr techs doing input into a licensed on line but custom calcualtion . We worked w a start up company -- Engineering Tool Boxes- who took a set of calculations and made ii into a fill in the blanks with pretty graphics and summary pages for signature by engr tech, project manager. We used this on an exclusive basis for 5 years.

i hope the new prez moves ga tech to a more rounded education to be ready for the rapidly changing work place. imo, during the time of last prez the uga dominated board futher defined application engineering as uga engineering.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So anybody that plays 4 years of major college football and has an engineering degree will have no trouble finding a job.
The truth of the matter is that anyone with an engineering degree should have no trouble finding “a job.” The demand for STEM majors is at an all time high. Now what job they find is quite different...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...competing-engineering/h0RwtpjpuM8DlrIGwY5KpO/

Will be interesting to see how the uga engineering program will affect not only our football program moving forward but the entire institute.

I don’t think it’s a case of the BOR “hating” Tech. Tech has a fixed enrollment due to its location. It could have fully absorbed Southern, expanded its campus in Savannah, or started a new campus in Macon.

The bottom line is Tech is not graduating enough engineers to satisfy the state’s demands. So ... we now have engineering at multiple USG campuses.

Alabama has one too now. Didn’t affect Auburn at all.

Deleted member 2897

Of course their students are competing with ours for jobs. What an idiotic statement. The stupidity of their students is evidently only surpassed by the faculty. There is no evidence they are ever being hired over ours, and they’re bragging that their starting salaries are only 20% lower. Good for them. I’m tired of their regular non-STEM students being a drag on our welfare entitlement programs.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’m not saying uga will ever be ranked in the same ballpark as Tech in engineering. I think it’s possible they could grow their engineering school to something on par with Auburn in a couple of decades. Plenty of good engineers come out of Auburn.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m not saying uga will ever be ranked in the same ballpark as Tech in engineering. I think it’s possible they could grow their engineering school to something on par with Auburn in a couple of decades. Plenty of good engineers come out of Auburn.

I work with Auburn engineers, Bama engineers.

There’s still an aura about Tech. I’m the GT guy. Have always been referred to that way.

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
A responsibility I have is recruiting future engineering talent for a very large southeastern based company (we employ a few thousand engineers); Tech students and alumni are the “blue bloods” of engineering and are hands down the most revered engineers we have in the company. They comprise the vast majority of the PEs on staff as well as the engineering leadership team. What we are seeing though with the younger generation is a shift in culture between people trained at Tech and those trained at UGA, Auburn, UF, Bama, etc. For the most part we can not get a Tech grad to leave the major cities, but we can find good engineers all day long at the other schools to go to places like Valdosta, Macon, Phoenix City, Dothan just to name a few. Don’t get me wrong, it takes a lot of combing to find the gems at those schools but there are some quality engineers coming out.

The biggest issue we see in UGA in particular is there lack of commitment to expanding class offerings. We much prefer to bring on co-ops but where at most schools it only adds one year to their graduation at UGA it typically adds two. So many of their classes are only offered in just Spring or just Fall with little to no offerings in the Summer. UGA will never get to Tech’s level until they choose to dump a lot more money in to the program. They are very much still a fledgling program regardless of what that professor says in the article.