6. Halloween
7. The Birds
8. It
9. A Nightmare on Elm Street
10. Dracula Has Risen From the Grave

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I don’t have 10 in the queue.

I loved The Ring. I still have an occasional nightmare of the girl climbing on all 4s out of the well, tvs, etc

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The original "The Thing"
One of the best ever.

I tell people if you put a stop watch on that movie, and measure the time between scenes and dramatic events, the pacing is perfect, quickening like the pulse rate of someone who is experiencing an increasing sense of dread. Masterful.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
OK, I’m ready. In no particular order…

1. The Haunting (original version)
2. The Innocents (1961)

….both because I love psychological horror.

3. The Thing (original)
4. Forbidden Planet

…because these are two of the best syfy horror stories ever made.

5. The Exorcist …it was groundbreaking and, unfortunately, perhaps ruined for younger audiences because it has been ripped off and satirized so much. This movie gave original viewers nightmares.

6. Rosemary’s Baby …read the book as a kid and then saw the movie. A masterpiece of filmmaking for anyone who has studied film in college and understands the genre.

7. Rear Window …only works on a big screen at the movies, imo, because the growing terror is slowly revealed in very small details. My favorite Hitchcock thriller.

8. The Shining (perhaps my favorite director of all time)

9. The Night of The Hunter
10. Get Out

And all the ones I didn’t have room for:

Eraserhead
The Phantom of the Opera (1925)…I saw on a large screen with a full symphony orchestra and could not believe how good it was.
Frankenstein (1931 uncut version) scared me for years.
Dracula (1931 with Philip Glass soundtrack)
The Host (2006)
The Birds
Psycho
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I have 10 but wanted to add Event Horizon. Basically The Shining but set in deep space.

That movie literally gave me nightmares.
Been on my list to watch for a long time. Accidentally have run across it while flipping channels and each time thought it looked good but quit watching until I could see the whole thing from the beginning.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I have 10 but wanted to add Event Horizon. Basically The Shining but set in deep space.

That movie literally gave me nightmares.
Agreed… I won’t re-list all of the good mentions above, but a new(ish) one that really impressed me is A Quiet Place.
The tension in that movie was incredible. Sequels, not so much, but the first one was great.

Also, the twist ending to Rudy… scariest dang thing I’ve seen. That little leprechaun dude running free in our backfield was terrifying.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
When you guys are saying the original The Thing, do you actually mean the original from 1951 produced by Howard Hawks or John Carpenter’s remake in 1982?

My list in chronological order from release:

Nosferatu
Peeping Tom
Psycho
Night of The Living Dead
The Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Jaws
Halloween
The Shining
The Thing

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
When you guys are saying the original The Thing, do you actually mean the original from 1951 produced by Howard Hawks or John Carpenter’s remake in 1982?

My list in chronological order from release:

Nosferatu
Peeping Tom
Psycho
Night of The Living Dead
The Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Jaws
Halloween
The Shining
The Thing
The Thing 1951.

Which version of Nosferatu?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The original 1922. I had the pleasure of seeing it with a live score last Halloween. Incredible!
That’s great! I saw it in a film class in college. Good but not the same experience.

As I said earlier, I saw the original Phantom of The Opera with a full orchestra. One of the scariest movies ever though key scenes have been spoiled for future viewers by those “most famous horror scenes ever” TV anthology shows. They did the same to Psycho. 😡

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
#1 with a bullet has to be the original version of The Haunting.Try to get to sleep after you watch that thing starting at 9:00. And, for the Almighty's sake, don't show it to children under 15. And, btw, don't chicken out after it starts.