Is uga scared?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Is it time for posters to revisit our 2019 campaign for W/L predictions? Apparently, no, and I mean no, sports writers out there think Tech will do anything this year...

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
I think if we keep landing these higher profile recruits they'll probably start to get a little bit nervous. We will be a better team than >50% of their "tough" conference schedule pretty soon (if we aren't already), and we also share a state with them. I think of all the schools in the southeast that they dont want to see "rise to power", #1 on that list is GT. Increased competition for in state recruiting plus in COFH every year the week before the SECCG is not something they're interested in.

With the culture change hopefully we can shake off the weird voodoo magic hold that uga has had over our football team for the past 20 years. We play schools just as talented as they are almost every year and have far better records against them than against uga. We really should be winning that game more often. Fortunately I think we will soon. Teams like Vandy, Mizzou, South Carolina probably have better records against uga over the past 20 years than we do, and it's not at all unreasonable for us to out recruit them from here on out.

I really feel like uga has had the stars align these past few years: Tennessee and Florida rebuilding, Auburn has been up and down, we've been down. The narrative around their program has changed but their performance really hasn't. Their recruiting is still about the same, results are roughly the same (except they did appear in a national championship). However even with all this going on they still haven't won a natty. You gotta figure Tennessee and Florida will rebuild sooner than later and the East will stop being such a cakewalk for the dwags. I am cautiously optimistic that we are trending up as well. I think they can definitely sense that their golden window of opportunity at winning a championship is closing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
I think if we keep landing these higher profile recruits they'll probably start to get a little bit nervous. We will be a better team than >50% of their "tough" conference schedule pretty soon (if we aren't already), and we also share a state with them. I think of all the schools in the southeast that they dont want to see "rise to power", #1 on that list is GT. Increased competition for in state recruiting plus in COFH every year the week before the SECCG is not something they're interested in.

With the culture change hopefully we can shake off the weird voodoo magic hold that uga has had over our football team for the past 20 years. We play schools just as talented as they are almost every year and have far better records against them than against uga. We really should be winning that game more often. Fortunately I think we will soon. Teams like Vandy, Mizzou, South Carolina probably have better records against uga over the past 20 years than we do, and it's not at all unreasonable for us to out recruit them from here on out.

I really feel like uga has had the stars align these past few years: Tennessee and Florida rebuilding, Auburn has been up and down, we've been down. The narrative around their program has changed but their performance really hasn't. Their recruiting is still about the same, results are roughly the same (except they did appear in a national championship). However even with all this going on they still haven't won a natty. You gotta figure Tennessee and Florida will rebuild sooner than later and the East will stop being such a cakewalk for the dwags. I am cautiously optimistic that we are trending up as well. I think they can definitely sense that their golden window of opportunity at winning a championship is closing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Until BDS does not look red on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, it will be tough. I cannot think of a more depressing scene for the players than to come out on your home field and have it look like that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Until BDS does not look red on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, it will be tough. I cannot think of a more depressing scene for the players than to come out on your home field and have it look like that.

I wonder if that's one reason we've had better success of late at Sanford Stadium than Grant Field. The red is understandable there. At home it's deflating.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
UGa isn't scared of us.

When we beat them three in a row, they'll pay attention. But they have so many advantages in size, girls, $$$, no academic restrictions, girls, SEC prestige, girls....and what else am I forgetting? Anyway, they have so many advantages that I wouldn't be worried in their shoes.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
They want to drop their long time rival and a relatively good program from their schedule who they beat most of the time and replace them with the best team in the country? Brilliant strategy there. Considering also that Clemson isn't dropping SC from the last game and all of their SEC opponents are already busy with their own rivalry games, they would likely be the only team in a power 5 conference to end the season with an FCS opponent. How exciting for their fans.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
From the article: "Both Georgia and Clemson have aggressive schedule models now and moving into the future that feature two non-conference games against Power 5 opponents most years."

LOL:
Georgia's OOC schedule 2018: Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee, UMass
Georgia's OOC schedule 2019: Murray State, Arkansas State, Notre Dame
Georgia's OOC schedule 2010: Virginia, East Tennessee, UL-Monroe

I've left Georgia Tech out to point out a couple interesting things:
1) What is this aggressive scheduling model they speak of?
2) Not a single OOC game ON THE ROAD.

I think this is all BS talk to deflect from the real problem - they can't win championships. They play in the SEC. Its supposed to be God's football conference put on the earth. They can play Peter Pan OOC. If they win the SEC, they'll go to the CFP. All this other stuff is just excuse-noise.
I think the house of horror's in Hooville would be hard to not be a trap game for the inbreds.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I feel like we need to win a few more from them before we even entertain this question. I understand the AJC posted it but why on Earth should they be scared of us at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have had some light OOC but have scheduled home and homes with Oklahoma, Texas, Florida State, UCLA, and Clemson in the past few weeks but hey that doesn’t fit the narrative. Plus a game with oregon
We have ole miss, Colorado, and Norte dame
In the same window
Most of those big OOC games the mutts have scheduled won't even occur until the 2030's.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
How did our home & home against Barn & Bammer go?

Like damn near every other SEC Team, the schedule you 10 years out & find a reason not to play 3-4 years later unless they’ve got a guaranteed win
That was way more to deal with the triple option. Now that we’re not running that, it isn’t an issue. They sure as hell didn’t back out of their home and homes with Clemson and Norte dame. Clemson and Texas a and m. Tennessee and Oklahoma. Florida playing Miami. LSU be Texas and Miami. South Carolina North Carolina. Auburn Clemson recently too, and Alabama has played a neutral P5 kickoff game damn near every year. Cancelled, but rescheduled. Wasn’t too long ago tech played two FCS schools and BYU in the same season.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
That was way more to deal with the triple option. Now that we’re not running that, it isn’t an issue. They sure as hell didn’t back out of their home and homes with Clemson and Norte dame. Clemson and Texas a and m. Tennessee and Oklahoma. Florida playing Miami. LSU be Texas and Miami. South Carolina North Carolina. Auburn Clemson recently too, and Alabama has played a neutral P5 kickoff game damn near every year. Cancelled, but rescheduled. Wasn’t too long ago tech played two FCS schools and BYU in the same season.
Correction. More so to do with the potential move to 9 conference games in both conferences. Same reason GT has 2 FCs schools on the schedule back then. They also got USC in the schedule, and decision was mutual between the schools.
Ole miss was also pushed back.... at GTs request

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
None of the SEC East teams have particularly imposing out of conference schedules

Georgia: Murray State,Arkansas State,Notre Dame,Georgia Tech
Tennessee: Georgia State,Chattanooga,BYU,UAB
Florida: Miami,UT-Martin,Towson State,FSU
South Carolina: North Carolina,Charleston Southern,Appalachian State,Clemson
Kentucky: Toledo,Eastern Michigan,UT-Martin,Louisville
Missouri: Wyoming,West Virginia,Southeast Missouri,Troy
Vanderbilt: Purdue,Northern Illinois,UNLV,ETSU

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
They are not scared right now, nor should they be. However, if we start to sign classes way above what we have been and you start to see some sustained buzz around the program, I think you will see the Red and Black machine turn its focus this way.

UGA's worst nightmare as a program is to wake up and find itself the second best team in the state. They have an incredible advantage in political, media and popular support over Tech. If they feel threatened, they will direct all of their resources toward eliminating that threat.

I am not a tin foil hat guy, but it is interesting that the media scrutiny on Tech coaches seems to go up in direct proportion to wins and the threat level to UGA.
1- GOL starts to get heat over the Vaitekunas thing as he is headed toward 3IAR, B over Donnan and the Dwags

2- CPJ gets heat over his demeanor and recruiting style after 2009....plus the NCAA scrutiny.

This is in part why Tech has such a difficult time getting over the hump to being a more consistent winner.

Last edited: