Is this the worst defeat in our history?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Those same guys will see the field again this week
A part of me wants it to be early in the game. I would hate to be behind by 50 points and Bennett is throwing the ball downfield on 1st down. the uga offense is the worst possible match up for us. They are not a good running team, but Bennett and Daniels are both decent QBs who can find open receivers. I can imagine they will find some next week. Everyone else has.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
I remember turning that game off when it was 40 something thinking it couldn't get much worse than that. Whew boy! Was I wrong.
I was there with my daughter. She teared up and we “lost her” that day due to the embarrassment of being ridiculed at school for wearing Tech gear. It was all boxed up by her shortly after. I am sure others have experienced similar events thanks to Mr. Money Down.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A part of me wants it to be early in the game. I would hate to be behind by 50 points and Bennett is throwing the ball downfield on 1st down. the uga offense is the worst possible match up for us. They are not a good running team, but Bennett and Daniels are both decent QBs who can find open receivers. I can imagine they will find some next week. Everyone else has.

When an opposing QB goes through his progressions against us, it means he is scanning all the options to see which of his receivers are most open. You have to be patient to find the guy that apparently everyone has forgotten about. I cannot for the life of me figure out why we blow coverages so often. But if it were my job I would.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
With them playing in the SEC championship game I don't see them playing their starts after they get a 28 point lead. HeII I would think they will spend only a short time on us and work on their game plan for Alabama

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Let me add with this:

UGA is, in my humble opinion, a far better team than Notre Dame. They just beat Charleston Southern 56 to 7.

Charleston Southern, folks. A private, Baptist college.
I think maybe they tried a little harder. Besides as a Presbyterian, I have become wary of those Baptist folks...never know what they might have up their sleeves. TIC

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
A part of me wants it to be early in the game. I would hate to be behind by 50 points and Bennett is throwing the ball downfield on 1st down. the uga offense is the worst possible match up for us. They are not a good running team, but Bennett and Daniels are both decent QBs who can find open receivers. I can imagine they will find some next week. Everyone else has
"They are not a good running team..." but they will be next Saturday. FIFY

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
73-7 is the worst loss since 1970.
55-0 is the biggest road shutout since 1970.
45-0 is the biggest home shutout in since 1970.
They are 3 of the 6 worst losses at GT since 1970.

Another fun stat. That is 7 straight games that the defense has given up 480+ yds. Only 4 teams have had a longer streak than that
2015 Kansas, 2018 Oregon St, 2019 Texas Tech, 2007 UTEP.

3 teams are tied with GT right now with 7 in a row - 2017 ULM, 2017 ECU, 2018 UConn
This game was the worst of them all for a few reasons:

It is year 3

We lost to a much better ND team 31-13 earlier in the regime

It obliterates the “we are getting closer” meme.

I believe the defense went into loaf mode early. Body language told me that they were defeated and going through the motions.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This game was the worst of them all for a few reasons:

It is year 3

We lost to a much better ND team 31-13 earlier in the regime

It obliterates the “we are getting closer” meme.

I believe the defense went into loaf mode early. Body language told me that they were defeated and going through the motions.
They quit on their coach, on their teammates, and on themselves. It happens.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Our guys were defeated before they got off the bus. Nothing to play for. Notre Dame is playing to get into the championship playoffs and it was senior day. They were still playing hard in the second half and totally dominated both sides of the line of scrimmage. I just can't bring myself to believe we are that bad on both OL and DL. I was traveling from middle Georgia to NC on Saturday and only saw the second half. It was like 45-0 by then. Our DL is not big enough or physical enough to run the 3 3 5. Biggers needs a couple of 325+ guys on each side of him.