Is this right? GT has had the most WR drafted since 2009 in the ACC?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
tied with Clemson and Miami at 4???

Florida State has 3

Not bad for a run oriented option team...

If this is the case...need it to be WELL known so the negative recruiting stops.

Can someone look at this and do a sanity check for me...maybe I am wrong...

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Also, CJ Spiller could be used as a WR in fantasy football in 2011… My 4 RB starting lineup won me a lot of money that year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have seen nobody address this but if so I apologize. But BB (I can't spell his name either) made a point of talking about Shaq Mason's blocking skills, but also his learning curve in the week walk up to the Senior Bowl. He noted how much he had learned about stance, hand position, etc. Since I am pretty sure the guys who coach GT's O line are not new to the party, does anybody know what he was referring to? Is it taught differently, is the stance different, or is the line play that much harder? Anybody know?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I have seen nobody address this but if so I apologize. But BB (I can't spell his name either) made a point of talking about Shaq Mason's blocking skills, but also his learning curve in the week walk up to the Senior Bowl. He noted how much he had learned about stance, hand position, etc. Since I am pretty sure the guys who coach GT's O line are not new to the party, does anybody know what he was referring to? Is it taught differently, is the stance different, or is the line play that much harder? Anybody know?

many if not most our plays our weight is fwd on the down hand....for firing out and getting low. Classic run drive technique. In the NFL and pro schemes, specifically zone you don't do this. Your leg position, hand, and weight distribution are all different. Wider stances more weight back to hold and absorb. 2 pt catch technique, where you place your hands on the defender and how you sit and squat with the weight over your feet are not used by our interior linemen much if ever. Our OT's occasionally do this...but not too much either.

We run some zone assignment scheme stuff on the interior....but its out of our position of stance so we don't reveal how we will block....so its new for shaq to line up a certain way, smaller splits etc....

Just a style difference. Its nothing HARD. its just he has to learn and get used to the style. Its like anything...if I told you to swing a golf club one way...and you did...and you were good at it...and now I say hey I want you to try this way because I want you to hit a high fade more....it takes time to rep and get used to etc...the question is do you see the talent and ability to hit that high fade? Belichik does...he sees the talent and adaptability to progress in their techniques.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Belichik finished his comments about this by adding that he had never seen a college player who did not have to adjust to the pro game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
many if not most our plays our weight is fwd on the down hand....for firing out and getting low. Classic run drive technique. In the NFL and pro schemes, specifically zone you don't do this. Your leg position, hand, and weight distribution are all different. Wider stances more weight back to hold and absorb. 2 pt catch technique, where you place your hands on the defender and how you sit and squat with the weight over your feet are not used by our interior linemen much if ever. Our OT's occasionally do this...but not too much either.

We run some zone assignment scheme stuff on the interior....but its out of our position of stance so we don't reveal how we will block....so its new for shaq to line up a certain way, smaller splits etc....

Just a style difference. Its nothing HARD. its just he has to learn and get used to the style. Its like anything...if I told you to swing a golf club one way...and you did...and you were good at it...and now I say hey I want you to try this way because I want you to hit a high fade more....it takes time to rep and get used to etc...the question is do you see the talent and ability to hit that high fade? Belichik does...he sees the talent and adaptability to progress in their techniques.
That's what I thought.

Nah, just kidding. That's an awful lot of knowledge and information to impart, most of which I had no clue about. Remarkable. I appreciate it, really. And I wonder if some of the offensive linemen failures from college are due this?

Have I ever said how much and why I appreciate this board?

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

thanks for this 33jacket. This type of info is why this site is so great!!