Is the pass rush any better this year?

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't say I've seen it if it is. One of my preseason givens was that we would improve in that area. It was the one huge defensive problem last year. But we had both Freeman and Rook-Chungong a year more experienced. Whitehead possibly. Simmons coming along with a little more size and experience. Gotsis would add a little, or as much as could be expected for a DT. Then I expected at least once per game that Jabari's quickness would get him into the backfield before the O lineman could react.

But from what I can tell, all of that has fizzled. We are in the same position as last year. If we don't send extra rushers, the quarterback can take his time. Or am I being too harsh on this third losing Monday, and raining again at that?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I feel like our pass rush getting to the passer is better. the only problem is I feel like most times when we get to the QB we brush him with an arm instead of tackling him.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think it's any more effective this year than last. We are on the field more so that could be the difference.

To be fair, I can't think of the last time we did not have trouble with a mobile QB, especially against a spread O. We can stuff them on 1st and second, but give up the 3rd and long.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I don't see any improvement, either. Hunt hasn't been effective at all; a huge disappointment after all the excitement when he got his eligibility back. It was especially bad after Gotsis got kicked out of the game. The UNC qb had all day to throw.
And where has Whitehead been?

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Did ANY of you look at the link I provided that David Hale alluded to in his Tweet? The stats show our Defense IS improved since last season.

It also shows our Offense is WORSE than last season...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
With our starters, yes, I think it's better. But that doesn't mean it's good.

@GlennW, I don't think the ESPN stats speak to the pass rush specifically unless I missed something.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't see any improvement, either. Hunt hasn't been effective at all; a huge disappointment after all the excitement when he got his eligibility back. It was especially bad after Gotsis got kicked out of the game. The UNC qb had all day to throw.
And where has Whitehead been?
While not being dominant, he is getting better.
With gamble injured and gostis ejected and if Jabari was not academically eligible, we would only have a true freshman to play the whole game next to Kallon. They would need some rest, so you go in when the true freshman gets tired and I will spell Kallon.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think with Gotsis and Gamble in there we are marginally better. Hunt and Kallon have not made the progress I expected but we still have a lot of games to be played so hope remains. I think Freeman and whoever is in at the other DE (Chung-Gong, Simmons, St. Amore) have been pretty much the same as last year, not really generating much pass rush. Stargell and Whitehead have not even played much.

Overall we are marginally better when Gotsis and Gamble can play.

Go Jackets!

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Can Whitehead contribute something or has he been really bad in practice? I was very hyped when we got him to transfer in last year.