Is signing day the most important?

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Most of the blue chip recruits want to play in an offense like NFL teams utilize. Lots of top college teams ran triple option in the '70's, and it worked. It still works in FCS. However, Power 5 teams don't run it now because you can't recruit for it. FCS teams and military academies won't get many blue chips, so they don't care. Apparently, the GT administration doesn't care either.

Calvin Johnson had the highest draft position of any GT player in history. Everyone knew he was "can't miss." We could have leveraged his success (and D. Thomas') to be be Wide Receiver U. The QBs and linemen would have followed. What do we do? Hire a coach than runs the ball 90% of the time. Major missed opportunity.

So we have Paul Johnson who was hired at double Gailey's salary. After 8 years he has a lower FBS win % than Gailey had. The dumb decisions since Homer retired are astounding to the point that you start to wonder if the administration is trying to downplay sports.

Finally, the academic excuses are just lame. We have more majors than we had in 1990, and more than we had when O'Leary had 3 top 25 finishes in a row. No one is talking about being a factory school. How about just being better than mediocre? We have an aggregate FBS losing record over the last 6 years, and the reason is subpar recruiting. We lose games in February.

Someone buy this poster a beer. Spot on. It's time for us to lose the excuses

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Most of the blue chip recruits want to play in an offense like NFL teams utilize. Lots of top college teams ran triple option in the '70's, and it worked. It still works in FCS. However, Power 5 teams don't run it now because you can't recruit for it. FCS teams and military academies won't get many blue chips, so they don't care. Apparently, the GT administration doesn't care either.

Calvin Johnson had the highest draft position of any GT player in history. Everyone knew he was "can't miss." We could have leveraged his success (and D. Thomas') to be be Wide Receiver U. The QBs and linemen would have followed. What do we do? Hire a coach than runs the ball 90% of the time. Major missed opportunity.

So we have Paul Johnson who was hired at double Gailey's salary. After 8 years he has a lower FBS win % than Gailey had. The dumb decisions since Homer retired are astounding to the point that you start to wonder if the administration is trying to downplay sports.

Finally, the academic excuses are just lame. We have more majors than we had in 1990, and more than we had when O'Leary had 3 top 25 finishes in a row. No one is talking about being a factory school. How about just being better than mediocre? We have an aggregate FBS losing record over the last 6 years, and the reason is subpar recruiting. We lose games in February.

Smh. APR look it up.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Georgia Tech is all about innovation. We specialize in the future. And yet our football team runs a slightly modified version of the wishbone, which is what we ran when I graduated forty years ago. To quote Harry Caray, "I just can't figure it out."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
... Finally, the academic excuses are just lame. We have more majors than we had in 1990, and more than we had when O'Leary had 3 top 25 finishes in a row. No one is talking about being a factory school. How about just being better than mediocre? We have an aggregate FBS losing record over the last 6 years, and the reason is subpar recruiting. We lose games in February.
Now see, you miss the point. It ain't the academics. Lots of schools have that. It is the curriculum and majors offered. That, he said defensively, isn't lame. It is the reality of any GT coach. Whether Johnson & crew can recruit is another issue -- I am of mixed mind about that it -- but the obstacles are very real. Denial doesn't change it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech is all about innovation. We specialize in the future. And yet our football team runs a slightly modified version of the wishbone, which is what we ran when I graduated forty years ago. To quote Harry Caray, "I just can't figure it out."
If it it was a law school you'd want lawyers on the field? How many Sean Bedfords are there anyway?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We lose games in February.

As far as I know, GT has never played a regulation football game in February. I am also totally unaware of any points, extra timeouts, Mulligans, etc that are handed out to programs that finish in the "Top 10" recruiting classes in September.

There is absolutely no reason to get overly excited, or overly depressed about the number of players that you sign with some arbitrary rating from someone on a website somewhere on the internet. Most of those ratings sites raise/lower scores based on who is recruiting a kid, or who has offered a kid.

You either trust your coaches to get the right guys or you don't. Apparently, you do not.

As far as being Wide Receiver U, you kind of left out Stephen Hill, Darren Waller, and DeAndre Smelter. I have heard TV commentators several times ask where GT keeps getting big/fast WRs. Apparently the offense doesn't have as large a negative impact on WR recruiting as you think. Just today picked up a 6-2 guy and a 6-5 guy.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Now see, you miss the point. It ain't the academics. Lots of schools have that. It is the curriculum and majors offered. That, he said defensively, isn't lame. It is the reality of any GT coach. Whether Johnson & crew can recruit is another issue -- I am of mixed mind about that it -- but the obstacles are very real. Denial doesn't change it.
It's also academics, but not as most people think wrt admission. It's more about getting kids who can stay eligible taking the rigor GT requires. Getting them in ain't easy, but it's the easy part.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
How do you propose we recruit like a factory when we're clearly not one?
We are NOT a factory and we cannot recruit like one. We can remove some of the more absurd and unnecessary restraints from recruiting and spend more money and resources. Clearly, we must do better than be ranked in the middle of the pack, especially when the Institute is located in the middle of a talent rich environment. There is no excuse for continued mediocrity in recruiting if we are going to be in a power conference.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We are NOT a factory and we cannot recruit like one. We can remove some of the more absurd and unnecessary restraints from recruiting and spend more money and resources. Clearly, we must do better than be ranked in the middle of the pack, especially when the Institute is located in the middle of a talent rich environment. There is no excuse for continued mediocrity in meaningless numbers from someone somewhere on some internet site if we are going to be in a power conference.

FIFY