is it time Auburn & Tech renew their rivalry

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
#85 (who is this? I can find it.) had him dead to rights for a 3 yd gain and completely whiffed. After that it was off to the races and lights out.

IIRC it was Mark Pike and I wouldn't say he whiffed as much as Bo just shrugged him off. If it was Pike he went on to have a pretty solid NFL career.

Oh second thought it may have been Mark White at ILB instead of Pike at DE that Bo went through. For some reason I think it was White.

Last edited:

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
hmmm don't remember I do know yall sold the blueprint on how to rattle Cox the LSU & Wisconsin games that year were just as bad . after that game everyone knew all they had to do was pick off 1 or 2 passes from Cox and the poor guy would be clueless. I think it was 5 INT's in that game and I know he fumbled atleast twice because one of the fumbles occurred during the final minutes

Good memory. Y'all look like you're poised to have a nice run. Good luck this year, love seeing you beat UGA and hope we play again soon.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Coach would hate this probably but I'd really like (its a pipe dream) to have UGA every year and rotate an additional SEC team (Tenn, Aub, Bama, Ole Miss, etc. some of the ones we used to have rivalry with) every year on the schedule. Keep UGA as the last game and make the other SEC team the 2nd or 3rd game each year. Almost an impossibility scheduling wise though.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
And, on a regular basis playing this schedule, how many average # of wins per season do you expect?
So you don't want to play tougher teams? Teams that if we win could bolster recruiting? Bring in more revenue? Bring in more fanbase?
Play this schedule and start winning against it, then things will get interesting on the flats.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I always like playing Awbun. We usually have decent success, their fans are both congenial and real party animals, it's as easy to go to the Plain as it is to go to the cesspool, and the atmosphere is always one of a real athletic contest.

Despite all that, I don't want to renew the series. With ND coming into the ACC, with Clemson and FSZoo to contend with, and with UGA always lurking, I think we have quite enough to worry about, thank you very much. I also fear what will happen if Pitt and Syracuse get the charge into their football programs I think they will get. 9 ACC games will be enough to keep me happy, as much as I like playing the Plainsmen.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I really like the rivalry with Clemson and Auburn. For over 3 decades I worked with an outstanding group of engineers, the majority of which were from GT, Auburn, and Clemson. In those days we beat up on Clemson but had our troubles with Auburn. Our boss, a GT engineer of course, would often open a technical meeting with greetings to the War Eagles, recognizing the expectation of another great Tiger sesason....undeafeated, untied, un-scored on, and UNACCREDITED! Great Times.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Five ACC-SEC games that need to happen every year
3- Auburn vs. Georgia Tech
With the exception of 1943, Auburn and Georgia Tech met every year on the gridiron from 1902-87. That’s right, though the Jackets and Tigers have only played twice since ’87, they’ve met 92 times on the football field. Georgia Tech actually has won both match-ups since the turn of the century believe it or not- 17-3 in Atlanta in ’03 and 23-14 on the plains in ’05. Auburn is a short highway ride from Atlanta and Tech and AU has thousands of alums in the metro area. So, it makes sense that the two schools get back after each other. Now, as we’ve mentioned previously, Tech does have UGA every year, but Auburn’s traditional games are all within the SEC. Given the importance of Atlanta in recruiting and what that city means to Auburn fans and alums, it would make sense to schedule this one.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
#85 (who is this? I can find it.) had him dead to rights for a 3 yd gain and completely whiffed. After that it was off to the races and lights out.
It was White, and I think his number was 35. He was a true freshman pressed into duty that day. The following kickoff was within a fingernail of going the distance by Jerry Mays, who played a terrific game with a broken hand.

Chattjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I would love for Tech and Auburn to play again on a regular basis. I was also at the game in Auburn in '05. It's the only time I've been able to see a game there and I thought the atmosphere was great and the Auburn fans were very hospitable.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Of all our d rivals in the SEC, that we no longer play, this is the one I'd most like to renew. No one would complain about our week schedule if we played em every year.
We can face our other old rivals in the playoffs ;)

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Of all our d rivals in the SEC, that we no longer play, this is the one I'd most like to renew. No one would complain about our week schedule if we played em every year.
We can face our other old rivals in the playoffs ;)
It'd be huge amounts of fun, and I'm willing to drive to Auburn for a game. Not a bad town and not a bad drive.

Now, when we face off against Bama, on the other hand, Imma bring hate and a hazmat suit.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've got two brothers, a sister-in-law (who's family are big-time football alum) and an uncle who all went to Auburn. My family lives about 90 minutes up 431, so there's a rooting interest from my other brother and dad. I'd love to have that feather-in-cap win every year or so.