Is GT keeping up with the ever changing landscape of college football?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
We are on the right track for blending in and shaping into what the rest of the factories are while keeping the allure of Tech and remaining traditional, but it’s not yet determined if that means more winning.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
On a side note it’s crazy to me that these things about how the players will be paid etc. have not even happened yet and our fans are already making up excuses and saying we can’t compete. Do y’all not realize that mindset is what is holding Tech back, the attitude that Tech is stuck into some kind of purgatory as a program and can’t get out, you realize a big part of why we are “stuck” has to do with our fan base not being as active as all those schools that have the “advantage.” I mean seriously, are we going to pretend there’s more paid advertisement opportunities for players in Tuscaloosa then in Atlanta? Just so sick of the whining and “poor ol Georgia Tech” mindset, can y’all not see the Athletic department is trying to move forward in a new direction and we are going to be what holds it back if we don’t start supporting instead of looking for reasons for us to fail because “we’re supposed to”

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
On a side note it’s crazy to me that these things about how the players will be paid etc. have not even happened yet and our fans are already making up excuses and saying we can’t compete. Do y’all not realize that mindset is what is holding Tech back, the attitude that Tech is stuck into some kind of purgatory as a program and can’t get out, you realize a big part of why we are “stuck” has to do with our fan base not being as active as all those schools that have the “advantage.” I mean seriously, are we going to pretend there’s more paid advertisement opportunities for players in Tuscaloosa then in Atlanta? Just so sick of the whining and “poor ol Georgia Tech” mindset, can y’all not see the Athletic department is trying to move forward in a new direction and we are going to be what holds it back if we don’t start supporting instead of looking for reasons for us to fail because “we’re supposed to”
It is a problem. Even for me, it’s a problem. I’ve been a tech fan most of my life, and I’ve been so accustomed to losing games and “preparing for the worst” coupled with a defeatist fan base is unknowingly crippling to the program.

I gotta say, when Collins came in talking about recruiting at a high level, it was strange. And I almost didn’t believe it.

we’re about to sign Gibbs though and have a stellar recruiting class. I’m beginning to believe we can change. I’m just trying to be patient

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
My only issue with it is the ESPN contracts that are not equal and any impact that could possibly have. The rest is on us.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The main concern should be the factories can illegally hand bags of cash over to players now. Some potential donors do not because it’s illegal, unethical, etc. How much more of an advantage will the factories have when “donations” like that are now officially sanctioned? I think we’re completely hosed when that day comes.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My only issue with it is the ESPN contracts that are not equal and any impact that could possibly have. The rest is on us.
Not sure I understand the post as it seems to assume football players go where endorsement opportunities are best, and that is seriously untrue. When one talks about Tuscaloosa or "little ol' Clemson", population several, it has nothing to do with money. It is atmosphere, surroundings, comfort levels ... and where mama and daddy think their little babykins will get into less trouble. Otherwise GT and their urban counterparts would sweep the recruiting derby every season. There are a whole bunch of people who have little or no use for Atlanta per se, as much as that might offend natives or Georgia Tech alums. Selling the skyline is just not effective for many recruits. (I admire it from BD but living there? Nah.)

And what worries me is the new NCAA rules allowing paying players, the big dollars are going to help the SEC and hurt the rest of college football. I suspect every car dealership and fast food joint in Tuscaloosa will have a paid player advertising for them.

And, Tech needs to sign a kicker....
I think I put this out there before but all of this and paying players is going to change College football. It will create a super conference of about 20 teams, UGA, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson etc that will play each other. Then there will be a next level conference that will be teams like us and the G5. Then you will have the FCS. The super conference will basically be the NFL lite.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure I understand the post as it seems to assume football players go where endorsement opportunities are best, and that is seriously untrue. When one talks about Tuscaloosa or "little ol' Clemson", population several, it has nothing to do with money. It is atmosphere, surroundings, comfort levels ... and where mama and daddy think their little babykins will get into less trouble. Otherwise GT and their urban counterparts would sweep the recruiting derby every season. There are a whole bunch of people who have little or no use for Atlanta per se, as much as that might offend natives or Georgia Tech alums. Selling the skyline is just not effective for many recruits. (I admire it from BD but living there? Nah.)
I was referring to the 5-8m that each SEC teams get through ESPN money Over other conferences. All other things fall on us. I agree we have great connections and Atlanta could offset the contract difference in some ways.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I think I put this out there before but all of this and paying players is going to change College football. It will create a super conference of about 20 teams, UGA, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson etc that will play each other. Then there will be a next level conference that will be teams like us and the G5. Then you will have the FCS. The super conference will basically be the NFL lite.
Why wouldn’t Tech he in the super conference? You realize players aren’t getting directly paid by schools right, and the money they earn is based of their own likeness and not the school. I think we will see a lot of big name players go to schools based on where they can be the big fish in small pond, for example let’s say While Trevor is QB at Clemson right now he can get paid, do you think a good QB will go to school there and redshirt and miss a year of getting paid? The whole super conference thing is delusional and yet another play by our fan base to feel sorry for ourselves.

Jmonty71

Banned
I did a lot of looking at stats... Funny thing... Most (not all), but, most college teams with the best defenses, played schools that had sputtering offenses. UGA even mostly played teams that scored low points. They got whipped by LSU, the only high powered offense, they met. So, I really have to dig into what makes a good defense, in college football now. The schedule can seriously effect that rank. I supposed the same can be said for offense.

I think CGC is looking at staying with the RPO, with a side of option. Which, I think has it's merit. We have to show teams that we can throw the deep ball. I think that will loosen things up for the QB. All comes down to what most football games come down to. Who can win the LOS battle. Really good coaches know that if you can win the LOS, you just need better than average players to win big games. Here are some teams that I think developed their own style of play

NE Patriots. Not many big names, but those O and D lines are always tough.
KC Chiefs... What's to say? Offense-Offense-Offense. They use the pass, to set up the run

Bama adopted a page from the Patriots. In some ways.... Yet, big talent still wants to go. But, I believe Saban puts a lot of effort on linemen, from what I read.

GT??? GCG seems to have a plan. We be interesting to see where that plan lies. I know the lines won't magically get better, next year. But, I do expect an improvement.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe they were 12-2,11-3, and 12-2 under his tenure with a down to the wire loss in the NC game.. I'm not sure "failure" is the correct choice of words here. I hate them as much as anybody but we have to be realistic. I'f that is failure, sign me up for some.

True, but they still did not reach their goal.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I did a lot of looking at stats... Funny thing... Most (not all), but, most college teams with the best defenses, played schools that had sputtering offenses. UGA even mostly played teams that scored low points. They got whipped by LSU, the only high powered offense, they met. So, I really have to dig into what makes a good defense, in college football now. The schedule can seriously effect that rank. I supposed the same can be said for offense.

I think CGC is looking at staying with the RPO, with a side of option. Which, I think has it's merit. We have to show teams that we can throw the deep ball. I think that will loosen things up for the QB. All comes down to what most football games come down to. Who can win the LOS battle. Really good coaches know that if you can win the LOS, you just need better than average players to win big games. Here are some teams that I think developed their own style of play

NE Patriots. Not many big names, but those O and D lines are always tough.
KC Chiefs... What's to say? Offense-Offense-Offense. They use the pass, to set up the run

Bama adopted a page from the Patriots. In some ways.... Yet, big talent still wants to go. But, I believe Saban puts a lot of effort on linemen, from what I read.

GT??? GCG seems to have a plan. We be interesting to see where that plan lies. I know the lines won't magically get better, next year. But, I do expect an improvement.
I just watched the condensed version of the NC State game. I didn’t see a single RPO play. If we were trying to run RPO someone needed to have told our OL.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I just watched the condensed version of the NC State game. I didn’t see a single RPO play. If we were trying to run RPO someone needed to have told our OL.
And, of course, that was the game where we were most successful offensively. And where Graham showed what he can do. If our OC decides to call games in ways that exploit our actual talent and that give us a chance to win, then, with improved OL play, a revamped WR crew, and a slightly improved D, we very well might. Win, that is.

Problem = I saw no indication of an actual direction on O last year. We seemed to switch ideas from game to game, trying to find a winning formula. I'm not sure what was behind this (I suspect it was mainly Ol injuries, but that's just me) , but it needs to change tout suite. We need to settle on a way to run the O and run it that way. If Collins and co. want to run the RPO, they need to run it. If they want to run a regular shotgun spread with occasional double options and some RPO (I think this would win more), they need to run it. If I see one more season where the O is running around like a chicken with its head cut off, there'll be trouble. And I won't be the only one making it.

But I expect the staff knows that. We'll see what they decide to do.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
True, but they still did not reach their goal.

If they are disappointed in their season(s) because they failed to reach their goal, I would suggest that their expectations are unrealistic and they need to rethink them for the sake of their own mental health. They are not in the very select (less than half dozen) group of teams that compete, and expect to compete, for national championships on a regular basis...teams like Bama and OSU and OU. They won one. Just like BYU, Maryland and Arkansas.

I wasn't disapointed this year because I didn't get the Lamborghini Aventador for Christmas this year. But yet I wanted one. It's about realistic expectations imo if you want a happy life.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If they are disappointed in their season(s) because they failed to reach their goal, I would suggest that their expectations are unrealistic and they need to rethink them for the sake of their own mental health. They are not in the very select (less than half dozen) group of teams that compete, and expect to compete, for national championships on a regular basis...teams like Bama and OSU and OU. They won one. Just like BYU, Maryland and Arkansas.

I wasn't disapointed this year because I didn't get the Lamborghini Aventador for Christmas this year. But yet I wanted one. It's about realistic expectations imo if you want a happy life.
I hate Georgia. I hope they never win another national championship. Their fans are arrogant and entitled. But, Georgia is absolutely in that top tier of teams right now. This thread is about the changing landscape of college football right? Well, in the current landscape, Georgia is top tier. This isn’t the early 2000s or 90s anymore where Georgia’s goal of winning a NC was an unrealistic pipe dream based on their tradition. Georgia spends the most money in the nation on recruiting, they have had the number 1 recruiting class in the country for 3 years in a row, they’ve played for their conference championship 3 years in a row, they’ve played in a NY6 game 3 years in a row, and they’ve played for a NC in that span.

I said it in another post, but 1980 is irrelevant in today’s college football landscape. It’s nothing but a way for rival fans to talk down about Georgia. Florida had only won 1 national championship before the Tebow years, did that make their expectation of winning it every year unreasonable? Clemson’s only title came in 1981 before their rise to dominance. Is it unrealistic for them to believe they’re going to win the natty every year now?

Right now, the top tier of teams are
  • Ohio State
  • Alabama
  • Georgia
  • Clemson
  • Oklahoma
The next tier is
  • Oregon
  • Utah
  • Florida
  • Auburn
  • LSU
  • Michigan
  • Notre Dame
Odds are, Georgia will absolutely play in the CFP at least one more time in the next 5 years.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Georgia spends the most money in the nation on recruiting, they have had the number 1 recruiting class in the country for 3 years in a row, they’ve played for their conference championship 3 years in a row, they’ve played in a NY6 game 3 years in a row, and they’ve played for a NC in that span.

They have had a good run no doubt that most teams would envy. But they have had an easy path....the SEC East has been a dumpster fire in the last 7-10 years or so and we haven't exactly been much of a challenge to them over the last several years either. When UF and UT and GT are down they have a free pass to the SEC championship (or more).

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
They have had a good run no doubt that most teams would envy. But they have had an easy path....the SEC East has been a dumpster fire in the last 7-10 years or so and we haven't exactly been much of a challenge to them over the last several years either. When UF and UT and GT are down they have a free pass to the SEC championship (or more).
You could say the same about most of the 1A and 1B tier teams. The ACC has been hot garbage since Tech beat FSU in 2015, Clemson has taken full advantage of it. The Big 12’s second best team this year was Baylor, with it’s usual powers of Texas, TTU, OSU, and TCU being down for the past few years. The PAC 12 has mostly been irrelevant nationally since Oregon’s first CFP appearance. UDub made it in and got man-handled by Alabama. Alabama and Ohio State do generally have to win at least 1 or 2 tough regular season games to get the their conference championship.

Georgia has had a pretty easy path on their rise, but so have a lot of other teams that have made their way to the top. They took advantage of what they were given. They won their games, they invested in their program, they set themselves up for long term success. All things Tech didn’t do when they had the chance.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was referring to the 5-8m that each SEC teams get through ESPN money Over other conferences. All other things fall on us. I agree we have great connections and Atlanta could offset the contract difference in some ways.
It’s going to be more like 15-20 mil once the new deal kicks in though. I think that’s going to lead to a decade where only the SEC wins titles in football.