Investigating The Accuracy of College Football Recruiting Rankings

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Very interesting watch that I figured I'd share and get you all's take aways from it. The stat at about the 15:35 mark is something I never realized.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
This analysis supports what I've thought about recruiting rankings for a long time - that on an individual or specific position basis, they aren't that accurate, but in the aggregate (talent composite), they are a useful barometer of how a team can be expected to perform over the course of a season. Probably more true in the top 25 than in the lower ranked teams.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Very interesting watch that I figured I'd share and get you all's take aways from it. The stat at about the 15:35 mark is something I never realized.

That’s sort of why some people were making a big deal about Washington in the final. If they had won they would have been the “least talented” champion in the recruiting ranking era and the first to be below the blue chip ratio

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
My biggest problem with the champion analysis is that nearly every year there are only 5-6 schools who are even competing for a championship. Yes those schools recruit well. They also spend more money than other schools, bring in more money than other schools, have the best coaches available, have an entourage of analysts, have the best facilities, have the best trainers, etc. It takes a full machine to win a championship. Talent is only a cog in that machine. Give Duke a top 10 recruiting class (or 4 of them) and they still aren't going to win a championship.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
My biggest problem with the champion analysis is that nearly every year there are only 5-6 schools who are even competing for a championship. Yes those schools recruit well. They also spend more money than other schools, bring in more money than other schools, have the best coaches available, have an entourage of analysts, have the best facilities, have the best trainers, etc. It takes a full machine to win a championship. Talent is only a cog in that machine. Give Duke a top 10 recruiting class (or 4 of them) and they still aren't going to win a championship.
Why say Duke when Miami is already the active case study

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Do these well-off schools truly have "all the best coaches"? Look at Bobo and Muschamp over at the c-pool? Surely these schools can afford better coaches but for the entire staff, top to bottom, to be considered the best (or even close to the best) seems to be a stretch.