Interesting stat

LibertyTurns

Banned
Exactly! So all these RPO teams have to rely on trickery to be successful too? Every single offense uses deception to gain advantage.
Absolutely, if there wasn’t “trickery” involved wouldn’t the offense just hold up a sign telling the defense what play they were running next? In fact we probably use less “trickery” than any team out there because the defense knows we’re going to run the ball nearly every play.

TechPreacher

Banned
Well, this is why usually in the middleof the season it's reported that tech coaches have to dummy down the assigmentsbecause players have problems executing.Another johnson TO drawback having to use trickery in order to compete.

Johnson's offense is a power running scheme. The myth is that it is all finesse and trickery. That more describes the popular spread options of today. Johnson wants to line up and run the ball down your throat, not trick you.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
There's never been one instance where Johnson said he had to dumb down the offense because the players couldn't understand it. There was some talk of not fully installing the offense his first season, but ever since 2008 his entire offense has been fully installed and run. He emphasizes certain aspects of the offense based on the talent and skills of the current players, but the whole playbook is installed and can be used at any time.
Didn't say say PJ dummed down assigments. Usually it's the O line coach , because the line men get confused by the D line making shifts and they can't adjust quick enough.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I've noticed this before and you are right that the guys leaving are usually some of the better recruits. People harp on not getting 4-5 star guys, but I think we need to do a better job of getting guys who buy into the institute and what we are selling.
It makes no difference if at the end of the day the kid isn't going to play, or will not play much. I don't blame any player who scouts the landscape, sees a very limited role for himself, knows he may spend three years at the end of the bench ... and leaves. Why should we? He will have thrown his eligibility away, and it never comes back. There are plenty of very good schools with very good educations and very good football teams, maybe down a level to FBS. He was faced with that "Am I good enough?" decision at 19, looked at it, and admitted "No". We all face it at some time, in sports, work, or life. Better recruits behind him, better development by someone who came with him, whatever. Why all this angst when somebody leaves? Some act like this guys deflowered Georgia Tech, or GT failed, and all they did was decide they were better off elsewhere. Take all the players who transfer in just one year in the ACC and you can field a couple of units with some substitutions. It happens.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Exactly! So all these RPO teams have to rely on trickery to be successful too? Every single offense uses deception to gain advantage.
How deceptive can we be? We have only six or seven plays. Everybody says so. Apparently the difficulty is in knowing when we will run one of those plays.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
How deceptive can we be? We have only six or seven plays. Everybody says so. Apparently the difficulty is in knowing when we will run one of those plays.

That's where the blocking changes come in to play the backfield action might be the same but changup the blocking an you can influence the defense into guessing wrong see Marcus Marshalls influence trap td against VT in 2016

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That's where the blocking changes come in to play the backfield action might be the same but changup the blocking an you can influence the defense into guessing wrong see Marcus Marshalls influence trap td against VT in 2016
Actually I was trying to be facitious, as I am weary of hearing about the offense. The count ranges from "5 or 6" to "10 or 12" on the high side. (A friend whined about the Orange Bowl in '15 that "All you guys did was run the same play over and over." I almost bit but what the hell. If 450 yards with "the same play" isn't instructive, then ...

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Actually I was trying to be facitious, as I am weary of hearing about the offense. The count ranges from "5 or 6" to "10 or 12" on the high side. (A friend whined about the Orange Bowl in '15 that "All you guys did was run the same play over and over." I almost bit but what the hell. If 450 yards with "the same play" isn't instructive, then ...

Yeah i love that about the offense. I think there has only been one game where we legit did run the same play over and over ( syracuse 56-0)

Deleted member 2897

Georgia Tech is unique in the rigor of our school. While most people don't know why most of these players left, and they were all probably case studies of 1...there is no denying that it takes a special person to not have any hope of seeing the field, yet continue to grind away at school while holding down a full time job (football). When I was in high school, most of the folks that went to college to play sports were going to DIII teams and what not. They loved the sport so much, that it took precedence over education. I think its very hard for many guys to deal with such rigor when academics are probably important, but not at the expense of having a life and no playing time with it.