Interesting quotes

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
But we were supposed to be better than this time last year. Heck, many here thought we were picking up where we left off at the end.
I don't know if we are better than this time last year or not. I'm just pointing out there were a lot of guys ready to jump off buildings at this point last year after barely beating the cupcakes on the schedule and then losing to Duke and UNCheat. The team sure turned it around, though. I know people will say, yeah but we had 2 future NFL receivers and this year we don't. They will also say last year we had a future NFL offensive lineman on the right side. The trouble with those arguments is that it's with the benefit of hind sight. At this point last year we didn't know those guys would turn out to be that good. I'm sure there are plenty of other arguments that will be used, but the fact of the matter is this is about where we were last year and the guys decided to turn it around. Here's to hoping they do it again this year.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
See my post in another thread. The skill positions were not ready yet for the load they had to carry. Think about this: Hill, Zenon, Bostick, Waller, Smelter, Laskey and Days were all 22-23 years old. The new guys are 18-19 years old. A lot of maturity happens in those years. And the experience in the system, especially knowing how to block in space, doesn't transfer in a few weeks. The offense is mess right now, but it's mostly a lack of experience and timing. And, the injuries we have suffered have not helped matters at all.

And we sometimes forget just how good Shaq Mason was and how much better he made Burden and Chamberline by his mere presence between them.
By my count, admittedly a liberal arts major, we have lost 11 players at B back and A back and wide receiver since the end of last year for all reasons: graduation, dismissals, injuries etc. No team and certainly not Georgia Tech can withstand that kind of attrition. It is also paying back the gods of recruiting for the terrible classes of 2012 and 2013. Seems like the 2013 class only has about 6 players left. Such is the fate of being a Tech fan. We never have been and never will be a factory that can replace an All American with an oven ready 4 or 5 star and think nothing of it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if we are better than this time last year or not. I'm just pointing out there were a lot of guys ready to jump off buildings at this point last year after barely beating the cupcakes on the schedule and then losing to Duke and UNCheat. The team sure turned it around, though. I know people will say, yeah but we had 2 future NFL receivers and this year we don't. They will also say last year we had a future NFL offensive lineman on the right side. The trouble with those arguments is that it's with the benefit of hind sight. At this point last year we didn't know those guys would turn out to be that good. I'm sure there are plenty of other arguments that will be used, but the fact of the matter is this is about where we were last year and the guys decided to turn it around. Here's to hoping they do it again this year.
The big difference this yr is that confidence in the holiest of holies, the offense, is shaken. It was the defense, primarily, that made the jump last year to salvage the season.

The only thing I'm clinging to right now is the chance that maybe, just maybe, ND and Duke are two of the better D's we'll face this yr.

If we struggle to move the ball on UNC............. I don't even want to think about the possibility.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
JBR, what "fact" do you speak of? That we are a below average team? That is clearly an opinion, which you have every right to have btw. Saying that Duke "kicked our ever-loving butt" is a bit over the top given the box score. We won first downs 16-11, got more yards, had more time of possession etc etc. They won the biggest stat, score. We allowed a KO return for a TD, a punt return for a TD (or close to it), and snapped a punt over our own heads on a miserable wet sloppy day where points are at a premium. How "good" we are is certainly yet to be decided. We played poorly two weeks in a row and have our work cut out for us, for sure. However, I would argue it is way too early to be drawing firm conclusions about this team. I would be very surprised to see us "rolled" this coming weekend by UNC. Very surprised. As always, we will get to see it played out.

It is funny how, who you are a fan of, changes your perception. I have a former player who attends Duke right now and I texted him a "good game" message when it was over. You know what his reply was? "yeah it was, we got lucky". He felt we were better and should have won. Whatever. I am just glad we get to actually play the games and not assume losses.

They beat us pretty good but we stopped them repeatedly the second half and had chances to win. This team is a work in progress and will continue to be for the remainder of the season. Let's see if they are mentally tough and work to get better or are they going to throw in the towel. I kind of think that being Tech men and having pride in themselves, they will do the former. Will it be easy? No, but it is way too early to give up on this team.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
The big difference this yr is that confidence in the holiest of holies, the offense, is shaken. It was the defense, primarily, that made the jump last year to salvage the season.

The only thing I'm clinging to right now is the chance that maybe, just maybe, ND and Duke are two of the better D's we'll face this yr.

If we struggle to move the ball on UNC............. I don't even want to think about the possibility.

Cheese...please stop; you are scaring me. ;) Really—I do appreciate your thoughtful contributions. I'm just very fragile right now...:unsure:...particularly since I share your worries. Please, for the sake of my sleep habits, can you give me a happy thought about the team, just for tonight?

(More seriously--thanks for the constructive candor; the last few days, many of the critical posts have been destructive—yours have been rational and reasoned, if scary...now where's my binky...:nailbiting:)

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow

Seems to me the offense struggled mightily against Duke last year as well, so i would think their confidence was shaken after the 2014 Duke game and they managed to bounce back. In fact against Georgia Southern the offense was ineffective at best in the second half. They have gone through some periods where they don't look good and I'm saying the same thing happened last year. I think they will turn it around. Not much different than last year - except this year we seem to have a vastly improved defense.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
Justin and the rest of the offense looked equally bad this year against duke as they did last year against Duke. It might just be Duke.

Our a backs and b backs will get better. When they do, we will be really good again. I honestly think it's that simple.

I predict we win the next two games and things get rolling again.

As a side note - I'm still confused why unc is allowed to play college sports, but since they are lets deliver some revenge.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Cheese...please stop; you are scaring me. ;) Really—I do appreciate your thoughtful contributions. I'm just very fragile right now...:unsure:...particularly since I share your worries. Please, for the sake of my sleep habits, can you give me a happy thought about the team, just for tonight?

(More seriously--thanks for the constructive candor; the last few days, many of the critical posts have been destructive—yours have been rational and reasoned, if scary...now where's my binky...:nailbiting:)
a) We play at home. Don't underestimate the power of comfy confines and rabid fan support. This is especially important with the new guys. Football is a game of emotion and momentum. Home field advantage is a real thing and can have an effect on both of these.
b) CPJ said we have veterans trying to do more than their job requires. I think it's easier to get better if getting better means doing less than you were trying to do before. This is the OL and JT. If these guys get rolling, look out.
c) The new guys are 4 games more experienced than they were when the season started. The last two we went to school. Hopefully we learned something and got better. I think we did and it will show Saturday.
d) "That which does not kill you, makes your stronger." Defeat has not destroyed our will or our resolve. Just look at Antonio Simmons tweet: "We will be better, I promise."

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Some people discount the ability to catch punts cleanly and not let the ball hit the ground and know when to let it go.
I refer all and sundry to Zach's performance in the Miami game that year. Which, btw, lost the game for us. He was a great player, but he was not a punt return guy. And, yes, I don't think catching the ball constitutes a good return.

Too bad we didn't just red-shirt him. But that's water under the bridge.

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
Shaq kept the serious 1-2 hammering punch of the dive threat of Laskey and Synjyn the Engine ever present forcing Defenses to react to it. We have to re-establish the dive threat - one of our bread-n-butter plays with the TO - to insure Offensive success. Laskey was almost a sure bet for 4-5 yards every time he hammered through past the Shaq Attack, which largely accounted for only about 20 punts last year for the entire season and one of the best 3rd down and 4th down conversion percentages in the nation. This kept Defenses focused for the dive along with the pass threat and the pitch-outs, forcing the Defenses to play more conservatively IMO. I believe these teams we have played have not had to worry too much about the dive or the pass (until recently - thanks to Jeune ;)) and have been able to concentrate their efforts on a one-dimensional pitch-only option allowing them to liberally flood the backfield with rushers to disrupt the option. We have to win the battle in the trenches and open up some Mack truck-size holes to give Skov some room to pile-drive the defense and find some daylight. If we cannot re-establish the dive play, this team is going to be in a heap of trouble.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Secure some seal blocks on the edge, pick up the blitzer... bottom line execute the assignment and we'll look a lot better.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Here's another interesting quote.

“There were times when we got ’em blocked, but we’d get to the second level and that guy would make the tackle or we’d fall down,” Johnson said. You’ve got to have some big plays, I think. I said that coming in, and you’re not going to make any money when everything’s four yards, five yards, four yards. When you get it right, it needs to be big.”

So apparently, according to Johnson, 4 yards every time isn't enough.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Well who the hell ever said big plays aren't important? I've heard some who exert their pleasure in death marches. But I've never heard anyone say big plays aren't important.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The offense struggled in a few games last year.. VT, Duke, Clemson, second half GSU, and 1st half of Wofford/Tulane. The later 3 was due to early season games. Duke I blame on finals/decent defense. VT and Clemson both had good Ds. 2015 Duke defense is very good. 2015 ND had a very good defense.

I am a little nervous as well. I thought the GT offense would take a step back and the defense would take a step forward and has played out to be the case. The team was within a score in the 4th Q of both games. Last year GT pulled VT and GSU out of the fire as opposed to 2015 ND and Duke.

I am holding out hope, even with the injuries, the O can still be good and get even better as the team plays. Good defenses will slow GT down just like they did in 2014.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
a) We play at home. Don't underestimate the power of comfy confines and rabid fan support. This is especially important with the new guys. Football is a game of emotion and momentum. Home field advantage is a real thing and can have an effect on both of these.
b) CPJ said we have veterans trying to do more than their job requires. I think it's easier to get better if getting better means doing less than you were trying to do before. This is the OL and JT. If these guys get rolling, look out.
c) The new guys are 4 games more experienced than they were when the season started. The last two we went to school. Hopefully we learned something and got better. I think we did and it will show Saturday.
d) "That which does not kill you, makes your stronger." Defeat has not destroyed our will or our resolve. Just look at Antonio Simmons tweet: "We will be better, I promise."

I had not seen Antonio's tweet. Proud of that young man! That is how to face adversity and rise to the challenge. It's what football and life is all about.