Interesting New Passing Stat

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I heard a bit of Mike & Mike this morning, and they mentioned a TD to Interception metric. They were discussing a raw passing TDs minu interceptions.

I took that metric, passing TDs-Ints and normalized it by dividing by the number of passing attempts. By this metric GT is #5 behind Oregon, tOSU, USC and Baylor.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Only on a Georgia Tech football forum would fans enjoy posts such as this :D

You need a name and acronym for the stat to make it official...
Easy. That's the passing payoff ratio.

So what's the point of comparing passing td's to interceptions? And why is passing attempts the relevant scaling variable?

slugboy

Staff member
The TD to Interception ratio has been used for a while. What's this one give you that the other one doesn't?

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
QB Points/Attempt Index.

You could adjust it with an increased scrutiny on the average field position or expected points his interceptions lead to???

Although I think now I've officially suggested a slight variant on QB Rating.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The TD to Interception ratio has been used for a while. What's this one give you that the other one doesn't?

How many passes it takes to get there.

The metric shows the relative explosiveness of the passing game on top of the ratio which is the riskiness.

If you net 10 tds after taking out the ints, and it you do it in 20 attempts your td per attempt of effectiveness is 2.

If takes you 200 attempts its 20. Ie, it takes you 18 more attempts to pass to score. It shows to what degree is your passing game for points/explosiveness or yards. Basically look at the teams at the top. Really explosive out of the passing game, even tech; we do it less but its for scores.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
BTW, its also why you rarely see team line up in man coverage alot vs these teams....RARE. When they do its simply their system (VT) and they do what they do. But 90% of the time you see them in 2 and 3 deep, they line up rather simple and its super easy on the offense

Oregon does this using rush tactics
GT does this using our system by design
Baylor similar to oregon

it forces D's to line up PREDICTABLY....and we know how to do what we do better than the D can react....

thats the philosophy...up until loss of focus or flat out pure athletic superiority