Interesting NCAA stats, updated for 10/1

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Georgia Tech Total Passing
#124 of 130 in passing offense, at 102 yards per game. Notable teams within 20 rankings of Georgia Tech: Rutgers, Minnesota, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Illinois. Kansas runs the Mike Leach Air Raid, and averages 60 more yards per game than Georgia Tech.

Georgia Tech - Yards Per Completion
#6 in the country at yards per completion, at 17.81 per completion. Oklahoma, Alabama, Navy, Army, and GA Southern are the teams in front of Georgia Tech.

Georgia Tech Total Rushing
#2 of 130 in rushing offense, at 339 yards per game. Navy is the only team above Georgia Tech.

Georgia Tech Total Offense
#38 nationally in total offense. 36.4 points per game. Notable teams in this range are Michigan, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Ole Miss, Texas A&M. Georgia Tech currently averages more points per game than Maryland, Florida, NC State, Notre Dame, Duke, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Wisconsin, South Florida, South Carolina, Washington, etc.

Red Zone Stats
#105 in Red Zone offense. Scoring 78% of the time
#82 in Red Zone defense. Opponents score 86% of the time

Clean Football Stats
#22 in fewest penalties
#52 in turnover margin
#106 in fumbles lost (5)
#23 in time of possession. (Army, Navy, Air Force are doing significantly better here)
#38 in first downs gained

Special Teams
#125 out of 130 in kickoff return defense
#38 in net punting
#84 in kickoff return yardage

Defensive Stats
#50 in passing yards allowed - 206 per game
#56 in rushing yards allowed - 150 per game
#50 in total defense - 356 yards per game allow
#119 out of 130 in 3rd down defense --- Syracuse and Miami are #1 and #2 on the list, allowing around 20% of 3rd down conversions. Tech allows nearly 50%.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
On the surface.... the rest of this year and next they need to address:

• Kickoff return coverage
  • 3rd Down Defense
  • Be #1 in yards per completion in the pass game
  • Create more opportunities for what appears to be a productive offense through special teams and defense. 3rd down defense is probably the thing killing GTech more than anything on this list.

Jmonty71

Banned
Georgia Tech Total Passing
#124 of 130 in passing offense, at 102 yards per game. Notable teams within 20 rankings of Georgia Tech: Rutgers, Minnesota, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Illinois. Kansas runs the Mike Leach Air Raid, and averages 60 more yards per game than Georgia Tech.

Georgia Tech - Yards Per Completion
#6 in the country at yards per completion, at 17.81 per completion. Oklahoma, Alabama, Navy, Army, and GA Southern are the teams in front of Georgia Tech.

Georgia Tech Total Rushing
#2 of 130 in rushing offense, at 339 yards per game. Navy is the only team above Georgia Tech.

Georgia Tech Total Offense
#38 nationally in total offense. 36.4 points per game. Notable teams in this range are Michigan, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Ole Miss, Texas A&M. Georgia Tech currently averages more points per game than Maryland, Florida, NC State, Notre Dame, Duke, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Wisconsin, South Florida, South Carolina, Washington, etc.

Red Zone Stats
#105 in Red Zone offense. Scoring 78% of the time
#82 in Red Zone defense. Opponents score 86% of the time

Clean Football Stats
#22 in fewest penalties
#52 in turnover margin
#106 in fumbles lost (5)
#23 in time of possession. (Army, Navy, Air Force are doing significantly better here)
#38 in first downs gained

Special Teams
#125 out of 130 in kickoff return defense
#38 in net punting
#84 in kickoff return yardage

Defensive Stats
#50 in passing yards allowed - 206 per game
#56 in rushing yards allowed - 150 per game
#50 in total defense - 356 yards per game allow
#119 out of 130 in 3rd down defense --- Syracuse and Miami are #1 and #2 on the list, allowing around 20% of 3rd down conversions. Tech allows nearly 50%.
None of us are shocked over the fumbles and special teams. Defense, is also a victim to the fumbles, so I would think those numbers are higher, than they should be. At least it could be argued.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We are currently #19 in yards/play offense (6.70)
Unfortunately, we are #65 in yards/play defense (5.36)

These early days are obviously colored by strength of competition.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The big problem is 3rd down D, as Coach pointed out in his BG post game. And he also said that part of the reason for this is that the whole D hasn't been installed yet. As we might expect, given that it is brand new and we still have people trying to figure out what to do next. The main thing is that we are doing better, albeit at a slower pace then I, for instance, would like. I suspect that we'll continue to have teething problems for another 4 - 5 games.

Next problem = fumbles. Part of that is playing Ds that are setting up to stop the pitch. The penetration has been too great and TaQuon is facing pitch dilemmas he would prefer not to. Now, given that Benson is out and our BBs are brand new, that is exactly what I'd do if I was an opposing DC. Disregard the dive and set up to make the toss sweep difficult and the veer troublesome. (One person here said that his Clemson contacts had told him that. Sure enough.) That, in turn, means gang tackling at the point of attack right after the pitch has been received. Result = fumbles. Add in the new BBs and the problems with mesh timing. Then top the whole thing with the current OL-of-the-week club we've been forced to run due to injuries and you know why we are having problems. I noticed that we did some things against BG to counteract that. I didn't spot a single midline or belly dive series in the whole game; it was dives, the occasional toss sweep (but only a few of those), and inside veers. And, sure enough, many of the problems abated and we didn't fumble once. If we can get the OL settled and communicating, and slowly re-introduce plays within the blocking capacity of the team we might be able to get the fumbles down to a bare minimum. Let's hope that happens.

The rest of the stats seem about what we might expect.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
We are 38th in scoring offense (36.4 PPG) while being 83rd in scoring defense (28.8 PPG) and are 23rd in time of possession. And have played arguably one of the best defenses in the country.

On offense this year
we scored 21 vs CLEMSON, They average giving up 16ppg +
we scored 38 vs USF, They average giving up 21ppg +
we scored 19 vs PITT, They average giving up 32ppg (Not Good) -
we scored 63 vs BOWLING GREEN They average giving up 48ppg +

On Defense this year
We have given up 49 vs CLEMSONand they average giving up 38 -
We have given up 35 vs USF and they average giving up 32 -
We have given up 24 vs PITT and they average giving up 22.4 -
We have given up 17 vs BOWLING GREEN and they average giving up 24 +

Pretty simple to see where the MAJOR issues are.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The big problem is 3rd down D, as Coach pointed out in his BG post game.

Interestingly enough, we were 12th in the nation last year in Third Down defense. I'm pretty sure this isn't a conclusive indicator of how good a defense is, as even being in the top 20 in a stat everyone on these boards said was crucial wasn't enough to keep the pitchforks out of the hands of our fanbase concerning Ted Roof.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Interestingly enough, we were 12th in the nation last year in Third Down defense. I'm pretty sure this isn't a conclusive indicator of how good a defense is, as even being in the top 20 in a stat everyone on these boards said was crucial wasn't enough to keep the pitchforks out of the hands of our fanbase concerning Ted Roof.

One reason why I said in an earlier post that I thought we would have won at USF and Pitt with Ted's D. I also pointed out that we would probably have lost some games with it too. I like the new direction and I think it will pay off. When the p[layers figure it out, that it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We are 38th in scoring offense (36.4 PPG) while being 83rd in scoring defense (28.8 PPG) and are 23rd in time of possession. And have played arguably one of the best defenses in the country.

On offense this year
we scored 21 vs CLEMSON, They average giving up 16ppg +
we scored 38 vs USF, They average giving up 21ppg +
we scored 19 vs PITT, They average giving up 32ppg (Not Good) -
we scored 63 vs BOWLING GREEN They average giving up 48ppg +

On Defense this year
We have given up 49 vs CLEMSONand they average giving up 38 -
We have given up 35 vs USF and they average giving up 32 -
We have given up 24 vs PITT and they average giving up 22.4 -
We have given up 17 vs BOWLING GREEN and they average giving up 24 +

Pretty simple to see where the MAJOR issues are.
I really hope u will consider doing this in more depth for the ACC coastal!
(Yds rushing , passing, totals and points. ).

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
One reason why I said in an earlier post that I thought we would have won at USF and Pitt with Ted's D. I also pointed out that we would probably have lost some games with it too. I like the new direction and I think it will pay off. When the p[layers figure it out, that it.

I actually agree with that, hopefully the Woody hire gets time to improve and pays off in the future with a much improved defense over Roof’s percieved ceiling.

Deleted member 2897

Right, lets take the Bowling Green game last weekend. BG gets a 3rd down conversion at their 30-35. They get another 3rd down conversion at their 45-50, then we hold and they punt. That's a 2/3rds conversion rate without ever accomplishing a dang thing. The stats that matter most are all of the, taken as a whole. In any given game or group of games these numbers could go up or down, but its winning that matters and points per possession that you give up is probably most important.

Deleted member 2897

Anybody know where you can get points per possession? That's a better comparison for how our offense is doing than points per game. Don't need to compare points per game when 1 team averages 12 possessions and another averages 16 possessions.

I see we're currently #23 in points per play and #29 in offensive efficiency, but can't find points per possession rankings.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
We’re in the top 30 for ypa with less than 50% completions. We need the passing game to get more consistent if we’re going to be good on offense. In our best years we’re near the top in ypa. TQM had a good day throwing Saturday. Let’s hope we can carry that over into an ACC game.

The only teams among the top 65 in ypa with a lower completion % than GT are Army and Navy.