Interesting National Championship Tidbit

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Two former GT players have a chance to win a national championship:

If OSU wins, Jeff Greene (former WR here) will get a ring. He's currently a reserve walk-on WR that plays on special teams. Not sure he ever played at WR this year.

If Oregon wins, Ty Griffin will get a ring. Ty is redhshirting due to transfer, and from what I've read, has an actual shot at playing QB at Oregon. He's considered the fastest and most gifted runner at QB...and his passing has improved a lot.

Basically, OSU and Oregon owe their success to GT...:)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Two former GT players have a chance to win a national championship:

If OSU wins, Jeff Greene (former WR here) will get a ring. He's currently a reserve walk-on WR that plays on special teams. Not sure he ever played at WR this year.

If Oregon wins, Ty Griffin will get a ring. Ty is redhshirting due to transfer, and from what I've read, has an actual shot at playing QB at Oregon. He's considered the fastest and most gifted runner at QB...and his passing has improved a lot.

Basically, OSU and Oregon owe their success to GT...:)
I'd love to see a matchup between TG at Oregon vs JeT at GT. I just hope our D improves to match Oregon's.

MtownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Jeff Greene had one reception for 13 yards and 2 punt returns for 10 yards this year. Aka he threw away his chance to be the #1 receiver at a Power 5 school and now gets to watch Smelter and Waller be drafted.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Greene had one reception for 13 yards and 2 punt returns for 10 yards this year. Aka he threw away his chance to be the #1 receiver at a Power 5 school and now gets to watch Smelter and Waller be drafted.

If he was here this past season wouldn't he have been behind those two anyway? 3rd/4th string at GT and 6th string at OSU probably get the same amount of touches. I get that he missed out on getting a great degree but 1.) I don't thing our team this year would've been much better with him 2.) He'd probably rather sit the bench at OSU than at GT and catch passes instead of primarily blocking during practice 3.) OSU players get treated like royalty in Columbus and around the state of Ohio. Maybe it's just me but I doubt he regrets his decision that much, unless he wishes he would have gone somewhere else other than OSU.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Agree.

Thought Jeff Greene was a much better WR prospect than Waller. Had size, and good separation speed. Could have been a really good WR for us, but apparently he didn't want to get on the same page as everyone else. Even his HS coach was publicly disappointed in his decisions.

Instead of being one of the main weapons at GT while getting a full ride at a world class school, he's paying his way to be a little used reserve at a factory school. Good luck to him...but I think he will always have second thoughts about his immaturity here.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If he was here this past season wouldn't he have been behind those two anyway? 3rd/4th string at GT and 6th string at OSU probably get the same amount of touches. I get that he missed out on getting a great degree but 1.) I don't thing our team this year would've been much better with him 2.) He'd probably rather sit the bench at OSU than at GT and catch passes instead of primarily blocking during practice 3.) OSU players get treated like royalty in Columbus and around the state of Ohio. Maybe it's just me but I doubt he regrets his decision that much, unless he wishes he would have gone somewhere else other than OSU.

Jeff Greene was tied for the most receptions and only trailed Orwin Smith by 4 yards in receiving yards in 2012. Greene was a good WRs for us, though his blocking left some to be desired. Now he will be lucky to see those same numbers over his career at OSU.

Youth is wasted on the young...10 years from now, I think he will appreciate what he lost in terms of degree value and opportunity at GT.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Wanted to edit my post but just missed the 10 min deadline: @Techster saw your post beneath mine which referenced Jeff having to pay his own way at OSU. That is a huge factor, and while I doubt he has to pay the full out-of-state tuition for OSU, that does change my stance a little bit. What it boils down to is while he may have had talent, he wasn't going to be better than Waller and Smelter. It's unfortunate because I think the issue was more neck-up than anything else- once he got labeled our "#1" he got complacent.

Scubapro

Banned
I was really disappointed when Ty Griffin left...IMO he looked like he could have been something special at QB...you could tell he was a really good athlete from a mile away. I hope he does well...unless he faces Ga Tech.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was really disappointed when Ty Griffin left...IMO he looked like he could have been something special at QB...you could tell he was a really good athlete from a mile away. I hope he does well...unless he faces Ga Tech.
Really agree with you. Kid has strong leg drive and is quick.
Remember the transfer as the low point of the off season that came about the time of JHD and custis.
Guess Ty saw the matrix at qb with byerly and other depth so he followed his dream - I thought he would move to ab.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ty Griffin is a good example of why GT fans should probably shut up and not question the coaches when it comes to recruiting QBs. Griffin was a last minute offer because Damon Mitchell decided to go to Arkansas. I remember the GT fans crying because the guy was a 2 star recruit with offers only from the service academies and UNC was rumored to offer him at DB. Anyone who saw his HS tape saw blazing speed and a gift with the ball in his hands. He also had a strong arm, even though he wasn't that polished as a passer. Now the guy has a chance to take over the ship at one of the premier programs in the nation.

Makes you excited for Matthew Jordan, Jaylend Ratliffe, Christian Campbell, and hopefully TaDarryl Marshall.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
Good point - I think his brother/half went to Phil Knight Univ or something like that. Hope the NCAA rents an apt out there to do their sniffing