Interesting former player insight on Duke loss

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sp teams is 98 percent effort 2 percent scheme. Not sure about 99/1. Lol

That is totally true. Now if you are a player totally running out of your lane then it doesnt matter. But provided you straight and dont pinchits all effort

And blocking is the same. Just watch snoddy and juene block and tell me if that was scheme or effort. Freaking sad.
STs the scheme matters a lot, or maybe I should say executing the fundamentals. There isn't as much to know, BUT, it is far easier to stray from your responsibility if you don't stay focused. "Want to" is a huge part, but so is mental focus.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
STs the scheme matters a lot, or maybe I should say executing the fundamentals. There isn't as much to know, BUT, it is far easier to stray from your responsibility if you don't stay focused. "Want to" is a huge part, but so is mental focus.

For me scheme is not the same as fundamentals. Fundamentals go when want to goes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Fundamentals go when want to goes.
Not necessarily. Some guys wanted to be the guy to make a play and got out of their lanes. It's not "want to," imo, it's discipline.

"Do your job, not somebody elses" needs to be the mantra across the board. This type of discipline breaks down when there are weaknesses at spots, or lack of trust, and guys think they have to do more than their job.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Here are the highlights I took from the podcast. The former players were Taylor Bennett and AJ Smith

They both commented that in our offense, the OL technique can make it difficult to see/pickup late blitzes. Mentioned that the success of Duke and ND shooting gaps is causing JT to press. Also questioned some of the play calls, specifically on third down.

I thought this was interesting: they said playing at Duke for a noon game is very difficult due to the lack of crowd/energy and that the tendency is to come out flat. Combine the poor atmosphere with crappy conditions and its hard to get up for the game. Said in years past you could start slow but still beat Duke, now that they are pretty good, the atmosphere can lull you to sleep, then you dig a hole that's hard to climb out.

Mentioned that in spite of how poorly we played we still had plenty of chances to win the game.

Chalked up the poor special teams play to effort...I think they said special teams was 99% effort, 1% scheme. Not sure if I agree, but that's what was said.

Praised the Defense, singling out PJ and Ted Roof as doing a great job last week.

..ended by saying we've got figure out a way to beat UNC.

Not a bad listen, but nothing overly "new" except maybe the piece about playing at Duke.

Was at the game in Durham, about fifteen rows behind the Tech sideline. The defense really did well after the 1st quarter was over. But generally speaking, the players looked listless for almost the entire game. No energy at all on the sidelines, except for a short bit in the 2nd half when it looked like the Jackets might take the lead. Given the stakes in the Coastal, I was expecting the stadium to be bursting with Duke fans. Maybe the rain and lack of attendees might have affected things. A hostile road environment can often be more of a motivator than a 2/3 empty stadium. Regardless, a team has to show up and play. The Duke players were prepared and looked like they were having fun the whole game. Durham is a strange place, though... Every day feels like a rainy day there, even when the sun's out. On the punt return play, the Tech punting unit was way back in its own territory... You could hear almost every Duke fan gasp when he got that punt off. It seemed to travel a mile, and the return man had to backpedal to track it down. You hate to see any kick get run back, but especially a beautiful punt like that!

alagold

Helluva Engineer

B,
to me who the coaches pick ,teach and motivate on STs is key/ important--whether it is scheme or players ,we are now 2 TDs behind this yr on kicking ---which is really close to horrible when I thought with our talent we'd have the chance to be 2 or
more to the GOOD..
btw-speaking of choices/picks- I'm fairly certain that saw Messick back deep on the side(not primary guy but secondary at 10 ydline) on a kickoff return. wow,strange choice to me

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not necessarily. Some guys wanted to be the guy to make a play and got out of their lanes. It's not "want to," imo, it's discipline.

"Do your job, not somebody elses" needs to be the mantra across the board. This type of discipline breaks down when there are weaknesses at spots, or lack of trust, and guys think they have to do more than their job.

Fundamentals go when want to goes. I didnt say fundamentals cant go when want to is there. I just said they go when want to goes. Trust me. When you lose the mind. It all breaks down.

Milwaukee

Banned
So what did they have to say about Cutcliffe rolling through ATL last year and doing the same thing? Maybe the kickoff time in ATL was too early as well - makes a lot of sense.