Interesting article

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
My immediate thought after reading the piece was, well, the article is four years old, yet over the past three years GT has continued to have former players drafted by major league teams … like Parada, Henry-Mallory, Xzavion Curry, etc.

I don’t keep up very closely, though.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
My immediate thought after reading the piece was, well, the article is four years old, yet over the past three years GT has continued to have former players drafted by major league teams … like Parada, Henry-Mallory, Xzavion Curry, etc.

I don’t keep up very closely, though.
Yes, I didn't mean to imply that things would change much, especially for the Jackets. I suspect that Vanderbilt would move up the list some, but in general I would expect it to look similar.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I didn't mean to imply that things would change much, especially for the Jackets. I suspect that Vanderbilt would move up the list some, but in general I would expect it to look similar.
Oh, no offense taken, at all! I would love to read a similar article that is current and up to date.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh, no offense taken, at all! I would love to read a similar article that is current and up to date.
OK, I did the number crunching. I hope this isn't too much of a mistake, but I did it for the past 20 seasons (as the previous article did), which hurt Tech because Mark Teixeira fell of the list.

National Top 10:

Long Beach St - 224.7
Arizona St - 178.0
LSU - 175.7
Cal St Fullerton - 174
Vanderbilt - 170.3
Missouri - 148.7
North Carolina - 117.6
Mississippi St - 110.8
Fresno St - 106.0
UCLA - 105.0

ACC:

North Carolina - 117.6
Miami - 97.4
Virginia - 81.9
Florida St - 77.5
Notre Dame - 61.4
Georgia Tech - 53.0

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
OK, I did the number crunching. I hope this isn't too much of a mistake, but I did it for the past 20 seasons (as the previous article did), which hurt Tech because Mark Teixeira fell of the list.

National Top 10:

Long Beach St - 224.7
Arizona St - 178.0
LSU - 175.7
Cal St Fullerton - 174
Vanderbilt - 170.3
Missouri - 148.7
North Carolina - 117.6
Mississippi St - 110.8
Fresno St - 106.0
UCLA - 105.0

ACC:

North Carolina - 117.6
Miami - 97.4
Virginia - 81.9
Florida St - 77.5
Notre Dame - 61.4
Georgia Tech - 53.0
I discovered that I don't like this method of ranking the teams since one player can skew the numbers greatly. As I mentioned, we dropped significantly because Mark Teixeira was jacking up our numbers for the 2019 article. Fresno St is top 10 almost solely because of Aaron Judge (they do also have Doug Fister and Matt Garza), similarly Missouri and Max Scherzer.

I do like this method because UGa comes in dead last for the SEC! They are at 29.2

For the ACC, Pitt and Wake Forest are actually negative bWAR. Notre Dame really surprised me...they have had 4 or 5 decent MLB players in the 10 - 20 bWAR range (Samardzia, AJ Pollock, David Phelps, Cavan Biggio, Trey Mancini). TCU and Texas are nearly tied for the Big 12 lead at 71.3 and 70.5 respectively. Baylor is a distant 3rd at 32.3 (Max Muncy carries them).

Last edited: