• The Acc loses FSU, Clemson, UNC and UVA

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • The ACC dies and GT ends up in the Big12

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • The ACC dies and GT ends up in the Big10

Votes: 84 71.2%
  • The ACC dies and GT ends up in the SEC

Votes: 63 53.4%
  • The ACC dies and GT ends up in a lesser conference such as the AAC, Sunbelt, etc.

Votes: 24 20.3%

• Total voters

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
According to my UNC neighbor, his contact in the AA told him the SEC and B1G want UNC and UVA. There is no interest in FSU, Clemson, or Miami. He said the SEC has no interest in any other ACC teams. None. The B1G is very interested in Atlanta.

He says there is a huge issue with UNC and UVA. Both the NC and VA legislatures have passed "resolutions" to require UNC/NCSU and UVA/VT to be in the same conference. These are not laws, but hint at what could pass if the ACC dies.

His AA contact also told him the ACC is rock solid until 2036. The UNC lawyers told the AA that FSU is going to find out the hard way that leaving the ACC is way to expensive right now.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can state with certainty and personal experience that student athletes attending SEC want one thing: A path to the League. That‘s it. (Education is not even on the list.)

IMO, the future of Tech is recruiting quality athletes through the portal that are disillusioned with any of the major schools and offer a noble alternative (playing time+education). Haynes King may be an example of that (but I don’t know enough about him to say that with certainty.)
I believe the ACC schools need for the conference to prevail quickly in the FSU dispute or recruiting conference wide will plumment. Uncertainty is the enemy of recruiting.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I believe the ACC schools need for the conference to prevail quickly in the FSU dispute or recruiting conference wide will plumment. Uncertainty is the enemy of recruiting.
Hard to say. I think the model of recruiting high school and developing them over 4 years is dead. Or at least not as relevant as it was. It does look like there are 5 more years of chaos ahead.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I hear you but universities did not start out as capitalist ventures exactly. We may evolve into that but a lot of changes would have to happen along the way. I have not a clue as to how all this will eventually play out but my gut feeling is that the college experience would be greatly diminished if “non revenue” sports are lost.
Every part of modern universities are capitalist ventures now. Every. Single. Part. Tuition is outrageous. Books are unbelievably expensive. It is a massive money grab that is hiding in sheep's clothes. Higher education may not have begun as a capitalist venture, but it sure as heck has become one. So, of course, the associated athletics is no different (and probably helped to justify the capitalization of the whole system).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Agree BUT the impact to GT would be greater if football ceased to exist in its current P4 state.
Don’t get me wrong, I love GT football. But I think GT would survive just fine without, just as MIT and Cal Tech do. Most of GT is already graduate schools, undergrad is actually the smaller, and is not where the money is for GT. And those graduate students aren’t very engaged in football anyway.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Every part of modern universities are capitalist ventures now. Every. Single. Part. Tuition is outrageous. Books are unbelievably expensive. It is a massive money grab that is hiding in sheep's clothes. Higher education may not have begun as a capitalist venture, but it sure as heck has become one. So, of course, the associated athletics is no different (and probably helped to justify the capitalization of the whole system).
You obviously think the slide into sleazy capitalism is much further down the road than I.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You obviously think the slide into sleazy capitalism is much further down the road than I.
When I attended Harvard Business School (MANY years ago), us students quickly came to the conclusion that Harvard offered its university services as a front to generate massive student loan demand and that they were a finance company in disguise.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I couldn't agree more with you on this. This should be fertile territory going forward especially if we can continue to build the program. As an aside, it would be fun to have a beer (legal disclaimer: assuming they are old enough to do so) with the guys who did transfer in from TA&M, Uga, Michigan, Auburn, etc. to compare and contrast their experiences here vs. at one of the
Question: is this a person whose opinion has any merit as far as you know? I haven't heard of him but that is really not of significance.

Regarding the second sentence in the quoted post...amen to that. I have absolutely no issue with sports that can not support themselves going away or perhaps, better yet, dropping to club/intramural status. And this applies to ALL sports fwiw not just the ones that I like to follow. I am an equal opportunity capitalist by nature.
issue with this is title 9 which requires proportional scholarships between men and women based on pct. of each in student body. If you took the bare minimum men's teams as football, basketball and baseball you are looking at at least 100 scholarships. GT is about 40% female which means you would need close to 70 female scholarships.

gtbb

Georgia Tech Fan
According to my UNC neighbor, his contact in the AA told him the SEC and B1G want UNC and UVA. There is no interest in FSU, Clemson, or Miami. He said the SEC has no interest in any other ACC teams. None. The B1G is very interested in Atlanta.

He says there is a huge issue with UNC and UVA. Both the NC and VA legislatures have passed "resolutions" to require UNC/NCSU and UVA/VT to be in the same conference. These are not laws, but hint at what could pass if the ACC dies.

His AA contact also told him the ACC is rock solid until 2036. The UNC lawyers told the AA that FSU is going to find out the hard way that leaving the ACC is way to expensive right now.
"The B1G is very interested in Atlanta."

Where does that interest rate compared to their interest in UNC or UVA? So, does this mean that we're the next tier after UVA/UNC that would get into the B1G, if something opened up? I do find it hard to believe that the B1G would bypass FSU for a program like UVA.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
"The B1G is very interested in Atlanta."

Where does that interest rate compared to their interest in UNC or UVA? So, does this mean that we're the next tier after UVA/UNC that would get into the B1G, if something opened up? I do find it hard to believe that the B1G would bypass FSU for a program like UVA.
According to most UNCheat fans their poop don’t stink either. They both think they are God’s gift to the world. I would trust a UNCheat fan’s opinion on this about as much as I trust my wife’s.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I do find it hard to believe that the B1G would bypass FSU for a program like UVA.
The FSU of 20 years ago would have had many suitors. Today’s version is regarded with disdain … problematic, difficult to deal with, and a bit untrustworthy.

It’s like reminiscing about a childhood fling and remembering her tanned beach body, funny personality, smiling and then, seeing her today. Rich … but resembles Chevy Chase in a dress.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s like reminiscing about a childhood fling and remembering her tanned beach body, funny personality, smiling and then, seeing her today. Rich … but resembles Chevy Chase in a dress.
I resemble that remark more than I care to admit. That's one good thing about bookface, I can check on that bullet dodged any time I wish....

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
That is awesome. It appears the majority of the Swarmers are not exactly excited at the prospects of playing in what is now known as G5 conferences. I too fall in that camp. No interest in attending GT versus Louisiana Lafayette as a conference game. I am glad there are some that will support but I truly believe if we end up in one of those conferences we might as well drop football and become a member of the Big East.
I get that and agree it would sap interest, I'm really just coming from a standpoint of the poll. Its not going to affect me as much because if we aren't in a top 3 conf, then I look on the bright side and realize at least I can go to games.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I just don’t see SC and Florida wanting Clemson and FSU, but they may get outvoted. Lot of SEC schools recruit Florida, so that may be a no also. Don’t see NC and VA politicians allowing those two schools to leave by themselves.
Can't see Auburn, Alabama, Georgia being OK with having more recruiting competition in the panhandle.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Higher education has become a business. Curricula has been watered down and bogus majors created for mass appeal. Try getting kids to come to a university with Saturday (had them at GT in 1964) or even Friday classes. A F can be dropped from a transcript if the course is repeated. In the meantime the cost is prohibitive for most Americans so huge debt is incurred. Most P5 athletes don't value the actual degree and only want to get to professional sports as fast as possible. They don't regard the cost of their scholarship as having any real value--at least that's the impression I get. It is very frustrating to see so many kids transferring for whatever reasons. It has become epidemic in college sports. TV and lawsuits are ruining revenue sports. Too bad.