• The Acc loses FSU, Clemson, UNC and UVA

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • The ACC dies and GT ends up in the Big12

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • The ACC dies and GT ends up in the Big10

Votes: 84 71.2%
  • The ACC dies and GT ends up in the SEC

Votes: 63 53.4%
  • The ACC dies and GT ends up in a lesser conference such as the AAC, Sunbelt, etc.

Votes: 24 20.3%

• Total voters

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
IF the ACC loses FSU and Clemson, I think it soldiers on. I'm not sure that UNC and UVA go anywhere - I just don't see what they add. If the ACC does lose 4 schools, then I think the most likely outcome is a merger with the Big 12(and possibly what's left of the PAC) - some groundwork is already being laid for that. As for GT, Prez Cabrera has shown loyalty to the ACC, but I'm sure when the music stops, he'll do what's best for GT.
The SEC Commish has gone on record that "rivalries matter". If the GOR blows up(not likely IMO), would they add FSU, Clemson and GT? There's been noise that UF. uGA and USCe would object. I'm sure Sankey could arm-twist them and E$PN would love it. Interesting times.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hard to pick one
Everyone is different
I have family in texas and live in nw fla

NIL and portal must be throttled or i am out.

But of your choices

SEC
I would keep giving and buying tickets if we go to SEC. Also would buy road games to Ala, Aub, Miss st, FSU, ole miss.( SEC could have east west w some of southern acc , big 12 , pac8 while big 10 could take northern and from east west). Might give more.

BIG 10 - i am iffy - no history and very few big 10vfans nesr by. But $$$ talks.

Going G5 - and i am done.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I will buy season tickets as long as we are in a conference with conference championship team getting an automatic bid to whatever playoff scheme emerges in the reconfigured playoff in two years.
If we get relegated to a conf without an auto bid it will probably be very bad.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know we are looking at a small sample size but it looks like just over half (52%) voted to keep their season tickets if the conference stays as is. Given that this is the most promising season since maybe 2014 and the mood appears to be optimistic for the most part, why would anyone consider dropping season tix now (aside from a move/transfer/etc.)????????? Or am I misreading the data?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
IF the ACC loses FSU and Clemson, I think it soldiers on. I'm not sure that UNC and UVA go anywhere - I just don't see what they add. If the ACC does lose 4 schools, then I think the most likely outcome is a merger with the Big 12(and possibly what's left of the PAC) - some groundwork is already being laid for that. As for GT, Prez Cabrera has shown loyalty to the ACC, but I'm sure when the music stops, he'll do what's best for GT.
The SEC Commish has gone on record that "rivalries matter". If the GOR blows up(not likely IMO), would they add FSU, Clemson and GT? There's been noise that UF. uGA and USCe would object. I'm sure Sankey could arm-twist them and E$PN would love it. Interesting times.
I am actually not sure uga would object now... Their alumni likely think we'd be another vandy to beat up on and suddenly that game is no longer risky if they've locked up a championship trip anyway. It simplifies their life as well with regards to scheduling.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
To the SEC and Big 10, UVA and UNC are arguably far more attractive than Clemson or FSU. Both leagues would love to have a footprint in VA and NC, whereas Clemson and FSU would add nothing geographically and would be competing with a preexisting in-state SEC school.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Both leagues would love to have a footprint in VA and NC, whereas Clemson and FSU would add nothing geographically and would be competing with a preexisting in-state SEC school.
Possibly, but I don't see it. UNC does come with a rabid in-state fan base and locks up 3 media markets(CLT, GSO & RDU). I'm not sure UVA does any of that. VT at least has the fan base, but not the media market. I think SEC wants the rivalries based on Sankey's recent statements.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I imagine few will agree with this, but if the only conference Tech could get into was a G-5, I would be in favor of going back to being an independent.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I imagine few will agree with this, but if the only conference Tech could get into was a G-5, I would be in favor of going back to being an independent.
You have to have enough schools to play to be independent. Probably fairly easy to get Group of 5 opponents but not as easy Power 4. Also how many Power 4 schools would agree to home and home scheduling? We went independent before when I think it was more practical and it was a disaster. I also think we could land in the Big 12 if not the big 2. It would put the Big 12 in the heart of the Southeast

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You have to have enough schools to play to be independent. Probably fairly easy to get Group of 5 opponents but not as easy Power 4. Also how many Power 4 schools would agree to home and home scheduling? We went independent before when I think it was more practical and it was a disaster. I also think we could land in the Big 12 if not the big 2. It would put the Big 12 in the heart of the Southeast
I loved Bobby Dodd, but he was AD that pulled us from SEC. He thought we could be an independent power like ND since we had so much success. AND he was pissed at Bear Bryant. Needless to say it was a disaster.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If the ACC ends up falling completely apart, and I'm not sure that it does, I think I'd prefer the Big10, then SEC. I've seen suggestion that schools like GT, Cal, Stanford, Duke, Tulane, Vandy, etc form a league of academically minded schools which I would also be interested in, and this may be what the ACC remnants are if some schools leave but the whole conference doesn't dissolve. I really don't have much interest in playing in the Big 12 - travel is a pain, and I don't think Tech relates well to any of those meh-tier athletics and meh-tier academics schools, similar to how Stanford was not interested in the Big 12.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks to all who have voted in this very unscientific endeavor. It appears I am like the majority. Little to no interest in a watered down ACC, Big 12 and even less for a G5 landing spot. We better hope J. Batt has his stuff together (including political positioning at the Governor's address).