Injury update

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Summers only major player in red.

Harrell still in red...will be back soon.

McNair also in yellow still.

A couple of more banged up but nothing major.

Ugasux

Georgia Tech Fan
I can't recall a better camp regarding injuries. Just hope we get through the simulated game Friday healthy.

RussianOffense

Georgia Tech Fan
Good move to not redshirt Leggett. It is not worth redshirting talented running backs because they usually have low shelf life. They are especially prone to getting injured, getting in to trouble, or having academic problems.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Shelf life! That is a sad reality of this great game. If only you could get these young guys to realize that their NFL dreams are pretty much that, a dream. So few make it to the next level and even then they have a short run. Some make some fabulous money but most are out the game and looking for a regular job within 5 years. It's almost akin to winning the lottery. It's great to have big dreams but it's best to have a back up plan ready if and when the dream ends. The NCAA and the schools need to a better job of educating potential football players of the odds they are up against in thinking they will make a living playing football.

Go Jackets!

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
If he's the second best bback, play him. If not, don't. It can't get any simpler than that.

That's a correct statement. That's why he should redshirt but not having anyone between him and 3 seniors may make it difficult. He's not ready yet. 2 weeks practice resulted in a concussion and then hurt again yesterday. If you have seen him up close he's nowhere near 210. Needs a year to develope, but again this isn't normal having a big gap like this between classes.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I doubt he will play a down this year if everyone stays healthy.

I think he plays against Wofford. If Laskey gets dinged, even a little, we need a legit player to take his spot. I'm not trying to knock Connors, but imagine Laskey rolls an ankle in the first quarter against VT and is out for the game. We need Leggett to be ready to play this year.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Minimal injuries - statistical anomaly or !!!!!!!
Could this be due the conditioning by strength coach or the organization / of the practice sessions?

Could be all of the above , but definitely conditioning is the best prevention for injury, particularly working on the leg muscles.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Eric, in another AJC article Ken says that PJ says that Chungong has overtaken Freemen for first string DE. Do you think that Roderick has taken a big step up or has Freemen fallen off a little?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Shelf life! That is a sad reality of this great game. If only you could get these young guys to realize that their NFL dreams are pretty much that, a dream. So few make it to the next level and even then they have a short run. Some make some fabulous money but most are out the game and looking for a regular job within 5 years. It's almost akin to winning the lottery. It's great to have big dreams but it's best to have a back up plan ready if and when the dream ends. The NCAA and the schools need to a better job of educating potential football players of the odds they are up against in thinking they will make a living playing football.

Go Jackets!
Yes indeed. And it gets said so few times that I find myself always having to add this, but over 85% of pro football players end up financially broke. So not only is it a long shot to begin with, you only have a 20% chance at best of being successful in life even if you do make the pros.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I think he plays against Wofford. If Laskey gets dinged, even a little, we need a legit player to take his spot. I'm not trying to knock Connors, but imagine Laskey rolls an ankle in the first quarter against VT and is out for the game. We need Leggett to be ready to play this year.

What makes him legit? He hasn't played a down of college football. Connors is more than capable IMO. I think SD to BB is an effort to redshirt Leggett this year.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Eric, in another AJC article Ken says that PJ says that Chungong has overtaken Freemen for first string DE. Do you think that Roderick has taken a big step up or has Freemen fallen off a little?
I would bet competition from a freshman fired him up. "Iron sharpens Iron" The more competition you have at all positions, the better the team will become.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
What makes him legit? He hasn't played a down of college football. Connors is more than capable IMO. I think SD to BB is an effort to redshirt Leggett this year.

Connors has carried the ball a whopping 23 times in his career. If we have to go against VT, UM, CU, UNC or UGA with Connors as our main guy, we are in serious trouble IMO. If Laskey gets hurt and they move Days to BB, you then lose your biggest and best blocking AB.

On top of all of that, if Leggett redshirts, we go in to the 2015 season without a BB that has a single carry. I just don't see it happening.

DaddyBill

Jolly Good Fellow
SidewalkGTfan made a comment which leads me to a question. Can a true freshman, who is probably on the redshirt train, actually participate in an early season game? Like taking a few snaps in the 2nd half of the Wofford or Tulane games? Does getting actual playing time early in the season burn the redshirt? Sorry if this seems to be a dumb question but I have been out of college athletics for several years now and am not current on the rules.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
SidewalkGTfan made a comment which leads me to a question. Can a true freshman, who is probably on the redshirt train, actually participate in an early season game? Like taking a few snaps in the 2nd half of the Wofford or Tulane games? Does getting actual playing time early in the season burn the redshirt? Sorry if this seems to be a dumb question but I have been out of college athletics for several years now and am not current on the rules.
I'm not positive but barring an injury one play burns a shirt.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
It used to be that if you were "injured" in the first 2 or 3 games, then you could keep your redshirt. Thus a lot of teams would have lots of mysterious injuries, like severe hangnails, to many of their players after the 3rd game. Not sure if it still works that way.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You cannot participate in any game and maintain RS status. A "redshirt" is actually granted at the end of the year, not the beginning. If a player has a debilitating injury or illness in the first half of the year, did not participate in more than 2 contests or 20% of the season, they are eligible to apply for a hardship waver to gain an extra year.