Initial #s look at Free Shoes

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I just took a quick look at seminoles' season numbers. D they're giving up an average of 22.3 ppg, scoring avg of 35.5 ppg. They are susceptible to the run 148.8 ypg and they have issues with power running teams. They don't run the ball particularly well 126.6 ypg and they live with their passing attack but they've on thrown for 20 TDs versus 15 INTs. This match up looks like it favors Tech based on the numbers. They do have an outstanding kicker. Free Shoes has been a remarkably fortunate team to date.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Their kicker is their best weapon. The key to this game is starting out strong and controlling TOP. If it turns into a shootout our turnovers/mistakes will keep them in the game. I don't see them stopping us I think we will have to stop ourselves.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Would that Cook RB be a close comparison to Sony Michel. A quick running back scares me a lot less than a big bruiser, but thats just me.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As I've said before, the most dangerous thing about these people is that they don't think they can lose. The stats don't really matter much, as near as I can see.

They've been down before several times this season and they probably aren't the most talented undefeated team of recent years. But they never get down on themselves. They always feel - and who can blame them? - that they are going to win sooner or later. In this they remind me a lot of some of Dodd's teams at Tech; many of them weren't super-duper talented, but they never got too upset about being behind and they usually won as a consequence.

This will be hard for us to handle. How do you convince a team like them that they won't win? I think the solution is the same as for Ugag: sit on the ball like a slug. We had the ball for 35 minutes and change in Athens. If we do that in Charlotte and don't turn the ball over more then once - FSU is death on turnovers - we can win. Sooooo … let's do that thing. 350 yards rushing and 30 first downs should do it, if we play D like we have been.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
They will think they can lose when it's 35-7 at the end of the first half...and we get the ball to start half 2.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
As I've said before, the most dangerous thing about these people is that they don't think they can lose. The stats don't really matter much, as near as I can see.

They've been down before several times this season and they probably aren't the most talented undefeated team of recent years. But they never get down on themselves. They always feel - and who can blame them? - that they are going to win sooner or later. In this they remind me a lot of some of Dodd's teams at Tech; many of them weren't super-duper talented, but they never got too upset about being behind and they usually won as a consequence.

This will be hard for us to handle. How do you convince a team like them that they won't win? I think the solution is the same as for Ugag: sit on the ball like a slug. We had the ball for 35 minutes and change in Athens. If we do that in Charlotte and don't turn the ball over more then once - FSU is death on turnovers - we can win. Sooooo … let's do that thing. 350 yards rushing and 30 first downs should do it, if we play D like we have been.
And add ~ 100yds passing to Hill out of the back, Waller for a couple of key plays for TD's, Perkins on a wheel route, and one of our young WR's stepping up on a big play and that will just about do it. I think JeT will have a much better day throwing against FSU. He has his big game jitters out of his system now.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Cook may well be quick but his long run for the year is 44 yards. His per carry average (5.8) suggests he has quickness and power but I haven't seen the top end speed to suggest he's the type of back that breaks long runs. Also, as I noted free shoes average only 126 yards a game, not exactly the kind of number that suggests a good to great running team. I realize they as a pass oriented attack by you gotta be able to run the ball as well.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's last weeks comparison of GT versus FSU by category. I probably won't bother to update it this week.
https://gtswarm.com/threads/compari...d-fsu-football-outsiders-stats-and-hope.5055/

When we are on O, FSU's run D and stuff rate is a bit better than UGAgs. Pass D isn't as good. So we don't match up as well there on paper. But given our unique discipline based O, which is much faster than anything FSU has seen, I think we score a good bit. Having the QB under center sure does speed things up.

When we are on D, FSUs O is better overall a bit than UGAg's. So we are going to give up points. We are getting better at D and hopefully that continues.

ST for FSU not as good at 36th as UGAg's at 6th. We were at 17th overall.

The biggest advantage is that before last week we were +10 (now +11) in turnovers and FSU was -2. I know FSU had several ints (like 4?) but don't know the net. We were fortunate not to be down 21-7 in the first half since we took away two TDs against UGAg with TOs. Regardless, we probably have to win the turnover battle to win.

GruffyMcGuiness

Georgia Tech Fan
Sounds pretty familiar, huh?

Cook may well be quick but his long run for the year is 44 yards. His per carry average (5.8) suggests he has quickness and power but I haven't seen the top end speed to suggest he's the type of back that breaks long runs. Also, as I noted free shoes average only 126 yards a game, not exactly the kind of number that suggests a good to great running team. I realize they as a pass oriented attack by you gotta be able to run the ball as well.
Longest run means nothing. Karlos Williams has been their starting RB most of the year.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I'm not demeaning Cook at all, he's a damn good back. My point is despite Cook and Williams(and a huge OL), they are not a great running team. Certainly not in the league with a ga or pitt team. As to longest runs meaning nothing, Tech has SIX players that have a longer run from scrimmage than Cook or Williams, tell any DC that longest runs don't matter ;)

Andrew

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm in grad school at FSU and my wife is an FSU alum so if it doesn't interfere with Tech, we go to the FSU game. Something Jimbo has said about this team is how good they are at responding, when someone throws the first punch they are always able to counter punch. I want to say that 6 teams had two weeks to prepare or them this year (similar to a problem we have seen in the last few years) NC State, Boston College, Louisville, Miami all had extra time to prepare and those are some of the games that FSU has been down early. Karlos will probably start, but Dalvin will get a lot of carries (and I think he is probably the better runner, but might not be quite as good blocking). Jameis hasn't had great numbers this year, but part of the problem has been how inconsistent the run blocking has been, without a consistent run game, there have been games where Jameis is throwing every down in the 2nd half. I'm glad we have CTR, but I think Charles Kelly has done a great job considering how many people he lost from last year's D. Tech needs to get ahead early. FSU will rally, but I remember thinking during the UM game how many possessions there were during the second half. If we can get ahead, we won't give FSU the same amount of possessions they are used to in the second half. That I think is the key. They will have to punt some, they won't score every time. We need to get ahead and play keep away.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck

Only let them have the ball for 7 minutes in the second half... you know, the half where their offense decides they want to play.