Incoming Transfers?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Are we going to put 11 DB’s on the field at the same time?
Just kidding, i’ll take him!

I've heard that while the safeties are a strength of the team, not so much with the corners. As you can tell from his background, Collins expects a lot from CBs.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It would be totally unfair to apply those rules in his case. It was reported at the time that Manny Diaz met with Ezzard when he took the job and they mutually agreed he should transfer. All restrictions should be waived in a case like that, IMO. Shoot, Diaz ought to call the league office on his behalf. We will see what happens, but he ought to play.

Diaz of all people should be the last person to block any SA from playing next season. He's the poster coach for why transfer rules are ridiculous. The guy wasn't even at Temple long enough for the ink to dry on his contract before he ditched the program and went back to Miami as their HC.

Give Ezzard his waiver, NCAA, and be done with it.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
By ACC rules, Ezzard would have to sit out a season at Tech and lose a season of eligibility, as he is transferring within the conference. That would mean he would sit out the 2019 season and have three seasons remaining.
I wish that was the NCAA rule with no exceptions. That way, everyone would know the penalty for transferring. Unless transferring to a lower division.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I mean only 5 lineman can play and that’s a position you don’t rotate. DL & LB is another story
Not disagreeing with you - fwiw Coach said in a perfect world we'd have 10 OL above the line. Let's see how many we have when the first ATL chart comes out. Agree that with OL you generally play the same 5 unless someone gets hurt. DL a lot more situational rotation.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'd forgotten we have a former 4/5 star DL (Antonneous Clayton) that transferred from UF. Hopefully he gets a waiver. We need all the help we can get on the DL.

Kinda crazy CGC was able to get three transfers (Sims, Ezzard, Clayton) this offseason who were rated 4 stars in HS. Clayton was actually close to being a unanimous 5 star (4 star by 247, 5 star by rivals).

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'd forgotten we have a former 4/5 star DL (Antonneous Clayton) that transferred from UF. Hopefully he gets a waiver. We need all the help we can get on the DL.

Kinda crazy CGC was able to get three transfers (Sims, Ezzard, Clayton) this offseason who were rated 4 stars in HS. Clayton was actually close to being a unanimous 5 star (4 star by 247, 5 star by rivals).
so I guess we have not heard anything , when would we hear one way or the other?

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Had Clayton or Sims signed with us originally, they would have been the crown jewel of their respective recruiting classes. And Ezzard is the first 4* wide receiver we've had in our roster since Calvin Johnson, so that counts for something. We did really well in the transfer market, especially if you consider Tyler Davis and Jared Southers to be apart of that. Davis is someone the staff thinks incredibly highly of, with potential for an All-ACC season.

Regarding the OP question, I don't think Sims will get a waiver. Ezzard might be able to get it the same way that Tathan Martell got one for a coaching change. Mark Richt (also acting as the OC?) kind of up and left pretty abruptly, which gives Ezzard a case for transferring. I think Clayton has the best case though, considering he has a child and is arguably moving closer to family. He's also a RS JR, so the NCAA might allow him to play because he's already been around awhile and was punished by injuries.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It's hard to predict because we aren't sure of the family situations and the rationale our transfers are using in their waiver requests. Ezzard and Sims are moving within the NCAA's arbitrary 100 miles for hardship/family waivers. Clayon's hometown is about 30 miles outside of that, though. He could argue that there are no FBS programs within 100 miles of his hometown, which is true.

Last I heard, no one was sure where Clayton's child was going to live.

Hopefully, they all have good lawyers working on this. The NCAA is pretty arbitrary with these things, though, and there are signals that they are tightening up on these waivers, due to the whining of certain coaches.

bos

Helluva Engineer
NCAA is garbage when it comes to these things, but you guys already knew that. Justin Fields and other notable players got his waiver to play before they even submitted the documents to transfer. Here we are 6 weeks from the first game and we don't know if 3 guys can even suit up this year when they announced the transfer a while back.

Ezzard for example announced his move on February 2nd. It's been over 5 months.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
NCAA is garbage when it comes to these things, but you guys already knew that. Justin Fields and other notable players got his waiver to play before they even submitted the documents to transfer. Here we are 6 weeks from the first game and we don't know if 3 guys can even suit up this year when they announced the transfer a while back.

Ezzard for example announced his move on February 2nd. It's been over 5 months.

Ezzards eligibility for the season is not up to the just the NCAA. If the NCAA were to approve, he'd still have to be cleared by the ACC since it's an intra-conference transfer.