Incoming Transfers?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
"There were reports of verbal abuse by Nick Petrino -- son of then Louisville coach Bobby Petrino -- against Travis during practices during the season."

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...-receives-eligibility-waiver-ncaa/1987288001/

Not that it would surprise me that a Petrino would be a collossal jerk, but this kinda goes back to something I said a few pages back about how nebulous these hardship claims can be. What percentage of high level football players couldn't credibly claim to have been verbally abused during practice? At least judging by the standards of what universities and the general population would consider such? Most guys could probably think of an instance or two to make that case if they had to. Not saying that happened in his case. I do wonder how much the ncaa investigates those claims.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not that it would surprise me that a Petrino would be a collossal jerk, but this kinda goes back to something I said a few pages back about how nebulous these hardship claims can be. What percentage of high level football players couldn't credibly claim to have been verbally abused during practice? At least judging by the standards of what universities and the general population would consider such? Most guys could probably think of an instance or two to make that case if they had to.

Tate Martells claim was nebulous. Justin Fields claim was nebulous in how it actually affected him. Jordan Travis had a solid enough case that Louisville actually went to the mat for him as well as FSU. It's pretty rare to see both schools supporting this when these kinds of allegations are involved. UL knew what the Petrinos did and are trying to wash their hands of it.

Edit to add that there's the normal verbal abuse any athlete takes by a coach, and then there's actual verbal abuse. UL, having observed the Petrinos up close and personal, believed Travis claim and helped him move on. Kudos to them for doing the right thing.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Tate Martells claim was nebulous. Justin Fields claim was nebulous in how it actually affected him. Jordan Travis had a solid enough case that Louisville actually went to the mat for him as well as FSU. It's pretty rare to see both schools supporting this when these kinds of allegations are involved. UL knew what the Petrinos did and are trying to wash their hands of it.

Yeah. I amended my post (probably while you were composing your reply) to clarify that I wasn't suggesting Travis' case wasn't legit. I just see how this could be used as a loophole.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
How long can it possibly take the ncaa to make decisions on transfers’ eligibility? It’s gotta be difficult to game plan, make ATL determinations, etc. when you don’t know who can play and who cannot.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
In Ezzard’s case, they should approve it on the basis of Manny Diaz showing that he’s entirely untrustworthy with the whole “leaving Temple 2 weeks after taking the job” thing. No player should be forced to play for a coach who has zero respect for commitment or honoring his word.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Is a ruling required before the start of the season or could this roll in the first few weeks??? Sorry if a stupid question.
There is no timetable imposed by the football season. They could declare him eligible for the 2019 season in late December, just in time for our bowl game. Or, maybe, just after.