Incentive Based Contracts

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Just a thought. I think someone else touched on this a little a couple of days ago.

I don’t think we have this kind of money in the budget, but…

What if we paid our assistant coaches a base salary, but the head coach and the two coordinators received $1,000,000 between the three of them for every win? The head coach could pull in $500,000 and each coordinator got $250,000. Maybe that’s a little extreme, but something similar.

You probably would only attract young up and comers that wanted to prove themselves, but they would be highly motivated.

Honestly, it sounded better before I typed it, but..

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
A mill might be much, but I like the idea. They mentioned that Kiffin got a bonus for beating us, which he gets for every out of conference P5 win (I believe).

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
A mill might be much, but I like the idea. They mentioned that Kiffin got a bonus for beating us, which he gets for every out of conference P5 win (I believe).
I agree that’s a lot, but 10 wins would put us in the $5,000,000 range for a HC. Maybe lower the the Coordinators a little?

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree in an ideal world incentive-based only contracts would be great, but this isn't an ideal world and the hot coaching candidates can shop their services to the highest bidder. It only takes one AD to outbid you. That's the challenge with contract negotiations... you need the candidate you're trying to sign to also agree to the conditions. If it's one sided, they'll have better options elsewhere and you're going to end up with only desperate candidates willing to settle agreeing to it.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Just a thought. I think someone else touched on this a little a couple of days ago.

I don’t think we have this kind of money in the budget, but…

What if we paid our assistant coaches a base salary, but the head coach and the two coordinators received $1,000,000 between the three of them for every win? The head coach could pull in $500,000 and each coordinator got $250,000. Maybe that’s a little extreme, but something similar.

You probably would only attract young up and comers that wanted to prove themselves, but they would be highly motivated.

Honestly, it sounded better before I typed it, but..

Would never work. You'd never get a good coach in college with this. Look at existing coached. Saban gets like $11 million a year and then $50,000 for winning the SEC, $500,000 for winning the National Title, etc.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I don't think your math checks out here. Why would Jamey Chadwell or one of the G5 HCs this board is clamoring over accept $500k/win when they can get a guaranteed P5 contract at $5m base salary? Even Geoff Collins would have not accepted your contract offer back in 2018. Good coaches have too much leverage.

Also the motivational incentives I don't think are large enough here - I knew a staffer w/ CPJ - perhaps with the money incentives, they would be more productive with their time but I can assure you he was not putting in some 9-5 40 hour work week.