In honor of Paul Johnson being at the game tomorrow... what's your favorite memory from his time as coach?

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Th UGA wins have to be at the top of my list. Also, my wife and I attended the 2010 and 2014 Orange Bowls. After the 2014 Orange Bowl game, we bumped into a young Miss State couple in the elevator on the way up to our hotel room. I doubt that I have ever seem two more disappointed and pretty bitter fans. They could not believe Tech had won and dominated the MS team.

Prior to the 2016 Gator Bowl, a Kentucky fan gave me a very factious "GOOD LUCK" on the way into the stadium. Wish I could have seen him after the game.

Just revealed to me the arrogance of some fan bases!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Th UGA wins have to be at the top of my list. Also, my wife and I attended the 2010 and 2014 Orange Bowls. After the 2014 Orange Bowl game, we bumped into a young Miss State couple in the elevator on the way up to our hotel room. I doubt that I have ever seem two more disappointed and pretty bitter fans. They could not believe Tech had won and dominated the MS team.

Prior to the 2016 Gator Bowl, a Kentucky fan gave me a very factious "GOOD LUCK" on the way into the stadium. Wish I could have seen him after the game.

Just revealed to me the arrogance of some fan bases!
Dedrick Mills running roughshod over the Wildcats is an enduring memory. On the way home, they had to drive right past the Tech tower on their way back to Lexington.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The press castrations - I mean conferences. The journalist majors that cover us have had a big head ever since PJ stopped cutting them down daily. - on a serious note - the uga games - even the losses it always felt like we were mostly in on those games and the dwags had to start taking bye weeks and D2 opponents the week before hate week b/c they weren’t afraid of a high school offense.
Preach it!

When uga started scheduling weak FBS teams that just happened to run the option just to prepare for Tech, you knew that uga thought losing to Tech’s flexbone was a PR nightmare they didn’t want.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Been reading all these with a smile. CBK’s watchword is toughness, but CPJ’s best teams defined the word. We gotta get that mojo back. Maybe celebrating Coach Johnson will help.
Agreed on all fronts.

I wish (and hope) CBK will convey to the team just what was dynamic and special about CPJ's teams. They all have probably heard the standard scuttle from all the talking heads about the "high school offense," and many of them might not have come to Tech had we been running the same offense. If that's the case, I would hope they someday get a chance to watch the 2014 UGA game, or the 2014 Orange Bowl, or the 2009 ACCCG, or the 2016 Taxslayer Bowl. Or even the crazy 2015 FSU game.

Those were teams that didn't quit. They kept grinding, no matter what. And more often than not, the system worked. To actually watch that offense operate, and see its results...damn, what a thing of beauty. There's a lot to be learned from it, and from CPJ's approach.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
That first win in Athens sticks with me, he was asked if he was gonna grab some hedge and he said something to the effect of “nah, I’ll have more chances to get some later”.

Dude was confidence embodied. Not arrogance built on smoke but confidence built on South Georgia days sweating the details and nuance of every movement across the 11 men he deployed on Offense.

Watching him prowl the sidelines and probe and pick till he found a weakness was a thing to behold. Then when he found it and just kept drilling the play till the other team crippled or fixed it was legendary.

slugboy

Staff member
I’d like to borrow a few of these.

For a loss, the 2017 Tennessee game was beautifully called. We should have won. The play calling was a work of art.

2014 Orange Bowl against Mississippi State was — well, Thomas was unstoppable and Days was a beast. We scored 49 with a “ball control offense”.

The rout of Pitt that year was also fun

The Pick and the Kick were great.

Just watching Days and Laskey run fearlessly. I don’t care if anyone was technically a better back; I loved the disregard they ran with.

Nesbitt ripping his own fumble back was epic.

The 5000 times Johnson called the same dive until the blocking worked.

Watching Clemson’s DE pound the dirt in frustration as he was optioned off, because he couldn’t win.

Watching Aaron Donald get schemed out of a game.

I wish I could remember the first 10 minute drive we ran. That was brutal

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Man the 10 minute drives.. I loved watching General Tev just ride herd over the troops and take those, 3 yd, 4 yd, 2 yd, conversion; down the field over 8-10 snaps then bust a seam and see the alley open for a jet sweep.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I will also say watching the offense was what got me into leaning more about scheme generally and understanding the line play.

I’ll always look back fondly on sitting with my dad diagnosing it all live at games. Even nights talking to my dad post game breaking down sets if we missed seeing it together.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
The 3O was tough to defense only because PJ got the players on the team (oh yea those 3*) to execute. He did that at Navy as well. My in person best game was the ACC Championship in 2009 in Tampa. That was a terrific game and we actually won with a DL making a play at the end. In terms of games I didn't attend, all of the UGA games but probably 2008 as the best since it broke a long losing streak to UGA (which unfortunately we are rapidly approaching again)