In Answer to Those Who Expect More GT Innovations...

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sports Technology Innovation
Georgia Tech academic and athletic units are working together to advance ideas that benefit athletes on and off the field.

http://ipat.gatech.edu/news/sports-technology-innovation

“Our vision is to establish Atlanta as the world leader in sports technology and innovation.”

It’s a lofty goal, for sure, but Doug Allvine is determined to achieve it. As Georgia Tech’s assistant athletics director for innovation, it’s his job to bring together athletics, researchers, and industry. He’s been in the newly-created position for about a year and is concentrating on three areas—sports performance, fan experience, and operations. Allvine and the Georgia Tech Athletic Association are also spearheading the creation of the Center for Sports Innovation, which focuses on entrepreneurship innovation.

“We want to create an entity that brings together Georgia Tech first and then brings together what makes Atlanta so special, which is all these pro teams within a stone's throw.”

LibertyTurns

Banned
Sports Technology Innovation
Georgia Tech academic and athletic units are working together to advance ideas that benefit athletes on and off the field.

http://ipat.gatech.edu/news/sports-technology-innovation

“Our vision is to establish Atlanta as the world leader in sports technology and innovation.”

It’s a lofty goal, for sure, but Doug Allvine is determined to achieve it. As Georgia Tech’s assistant athletics director for innovation, it’s his job to bring together athletics, researchers, and industry. He’s been in the newly-created position for about a year and is concentrating on three areas—sports performance, fan experience, and operations. Allvine and the Georgia Tech Athletic Association are also spearheading the creation of the Center for Sports Innovation, which focuses on entrepreneurship innovation.

“We want to create an entity that brings together Georgia Tech first and then brings together what makes Atlanta so special, which is all these pro teams within a stone's throw.”
OUTSTANDING!!!!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This could be a great innovation project competition for students. Profs will want funding. Students want challenges and possible career opportunity. Turn the animal spirit loose.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It's cool. I want it to be more forward facing and involving novel technology and training approaches for our major sports SAs. I want recruits to come here and be amazed at the cool stuff our guys are part of that they can't get anywhere else. As long as it's safe, I don't care if it doesn't really enhance performance. I want an identity that is uniquely us that will create a sustained buzz in the media and in prospective SAs. We're not there yet. Hopefully this is the right path.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My rep told me they are going to put virtual images up that are viewed via app on smart phone. It will show the old stadium looks as you point your phone.

Sounds neat, but not exciting.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My rep told me they are going to put virtual images up that are viewed via app on smart phone. It will show the old stadium looks as you point your phone.

Sounds neat, but not exciting.

Did you read the article? They listed a couple of things that they are working on. Neither of which is what you listed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Did you read the article? They listed a couple of things that they are working on. Neither of which is what you listed.
Will see if the account rep was mistaken.
I had sent him a presentation on some tech things they could do at bds.
My ideas were too complicated for gtaa at this time.

I got the impression the viewing system will be ready this season.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Will see if the account rep was mistaken.
I had sent him a presentation on some tech things they could do at bds.
My ideas were too complicated for gtaa at this time.

I got the impression the viewing system will be ready this season.
They might have what you described this season. The impression that I got from your first post is that a phone app to view the history of the stadium is the only thing they are working on, and they aren't actually doing anything innovative or exciting. As I said in my response, the linked article lists some other thingsthey are doing. Those are dealing with concussions and using sound to monitor body joints.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Technology and sports are far from being mutually exclusive. By Tech becoming a leader in sports technology, it will further build the brand and do it in a way that appeals not only to athletes but to other prospective students as well. It is hard to see how it would not be a win win for both the academics and the athletes.