Improvements desired for 15

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Up through the UNC game our defense was atrocious. Anyone who disagrees is looking through gold flavored glasses. This includes all 11 positions. Wee need to play like we did against Clemson every game. You can't out score everyone. Defense wins championships.
nm

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Now that JHD is in fact "eligible" the ability of him and Gotsis at DT to command attention inside is going to make our DE's: Freeman; Simmons; and Whitehead just that much better when rushing the passer. Opponent's OT's are going to have their hands full on passing downs all season long.

Watch out for Terrell Lewis at LB this year.

While the defense did have its flaws last year, what everyone is ignoring is that they were able to get by with basically Gotsis and Green at DT all season long with an occasional appearance by Gamble or Kallon. There was zero depth at a position that has to control the middle every play and requires exponential toughness on every down.

The ability to survive and not get gashed last season at DT will pay off in 2015. I am very excited about the defense this year.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Now that JHD is in fact "eligible" the ability of him and Gotsis at DT to command attention inside is going to make our DE's: Freeman; Simmons; and Whitehead just that much better when rushing the passer. Opponent's OT's are going to have their hands full on passing downs all season long.

Watch out for Terrell Lewis at LB this year.

While the defense did have its flaws last year, what everyone is ignoring is that they were able to get by with basically Gotsis and Green at DT all season long with an occasional appearance by Gamble or Kallon. There was zero depth at a position that has to control the middle every play and requires exponential toughness on every down.

The ability to survive and not get gashed last season at DT will pay off in 2015. I am very excited about the defense this year.

Completely agree about T Lewis at LB and the toughness of Gotsis at DT. I expect Simmons and/or Whitehead to be a factor in certain situations. We should enjoy some fresh legs in our pass rush for a change.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
This D line is going to be something to watch in '15! Add in the young D linemen (including the freshmen) it has the potential to be kick *** for the next few years! With Henderson, Glanton, Morgan and Sellers coming in and getting full camps, season practices, spring/fall camps '16 the follow up players are coming as well!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It does not fall under "improvements" but is worth some thought. GT led the country last season in third down conversions. While I'm sure many of those, had they failed, would have gone on to a 4th down try, it's hard to overestimate that stat's importance, at least to me. Add in the 4th down -- particularly in FSU and MSU games, when we made first down by mere inches a couple of times -- and that conversion record is really important. The whole season could swing on making those plays. And where the old heads like Charles Perkins or Andrews knew they had to get square to the LOS and go for the down marker, I wonder how long it will take the younger ones to grasp that, that the "big play" there is a first down, and not a gamble for the big gain. So in this case, my vote is for maintaining what we did.