Improved OL

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
With the chance that EVERYONE stays healthy....do you think that we can dominate the LOS and keep JPM, Jamious and Gibbs clean?

With the older add ins/transfers and the consistency late in the year, WHAT IF...we could control the clock and wear some folks down? We have EXCEPTIONAL backs that our multi-faceted.

Is there a chance we can shock some folks? Maybe UCF and the lower tier. I think there’s a chance for 7-5 IF CDP doesn’t **** the bed.

Thoughts?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
With the chance that EVERYONE stays healthy....do you think that we can dominate the LOS and keep JPM, Jamious and Gibbs clean?

With the older add ins/transfers and the consistency late in the year, WHAT IF...we could control the clock and wear some folks down? We have EXCEPTIONAL backs that our multi-faceted.

Is there a chance we can shock some folks? Maybe UCF and the lower tier. I think there’s a chance for 7-5 IF CDP doesn’t **** the bed.

Thoughts?

i think so. It will allow us to control the ball with plethora of RBs and limit our QBs from making mistake. I think we need a good OL plus a good pass rush to win 7

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow

Thoughts?

I’m expecting significant improvement on the OL. We have upgraded three position along the line and 4 seniors should be starting. The second year under Brent key and new system should help as well. There should be far more space for our RB’s to operate and less DL making contact with our RBs in the backfield.

I don’t expect a dynamic offense next year unless there is some drastic improvement at QB, so I think we will see a run heavy attack with probably close to 60/40 run to pass plays. Perhaps we can control the clock more and wear the opponents down as you eluded to.

Ultimately if we shock people next year I think it’ll be because of the defensive side of the ball. Considering how many 3 and outs our offense had last year, I thought our young defense held up well. We need to generate more pressure on the QB next season, but hopefully an improved OL will keep our Defensive players fresh.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck

Thoughts?
I don't think "dominate" is the right word. I think we can have a good oline but with the talent we have at rb that might just be enough. I am more concerned about their pass blocking. If we can improve in that area I think our offense can be considerably better. No matter which qb wins the job we are going to have a young qb still. We need to be able to protect him.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure we can expect a quantum leap in performance. To me., just the general consensus that 2 transfers will automatically be starters, says that the cupboard was pretty bare. A lot of offensive line performance is based on playing together and an ability to anticipate your wingman's every move and it is clear we will not have much of that if indeed 2 transfers are thrown into the starting line up with 3 others. I think we have a chance to grow into a solid unit perhaps toward the end of the year if we escape injuries but I think the performance will be spotty and very akin to last year well into the season. That is if we get to play at all.

Go Jackets!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Thoughts?

Dominate? No. Be more competitive than last year? It can't get any worse, so yes. There is a reason why the experts all pick Tech to be last in the Coastal.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure we can expect a quantum leap in performance. To me., just the general consensus that 2 transfers will automatically be starters, says that the cupboard was pretty bare. A lot of offensive line performance is based on playing together and an ability to anticipate your wingman's every move and it is clear we will not have much of that if indeed 2 transfers are thrown into the starting line up with 3 others. I think we have a chance to grow into a solid unit perhaps toward the end of the year if we escape injuries but I think the performance will be spotty and very akin to last year well into the season. That is if we get to play at all.

Go Jackets!
One of the transfers was legitimately one of the top tackles in the SEC last year, will be an NFL draft pick next year. The other has started and played in more than double the amount of P5 games in a similar offensive system than anybody else on the roster. Also given the fact that the best players on the already extremely thin OL depth chart didn’t even get to play most of the season, it’s safe to say there will be a significant improvement in OL play. Just being an average P5 line would be an improvement of ~80 spots in OL rankings. Just being an average FBS line would be a ~60 spot jump from dead last. And the top 5-7 guys are more than capable of creating an average FBS line, but beyond that there’s still very little depth if the injury bug were to hit again.

Last edited:

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think our run blocking will go from below average to above average. Our pass blocking will improve from poor to below average. Overall expect a middle of the pack performing line, which will be leaps and bounds better compared to the horror show we saw last year. Hope our playmakers get enough space and CDP can get a little more creative.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think if we are lucky with health and our top 5 "starters" stay healthy we have a chance to have a 'good' OL. Which would be a massive jump from utterly terrible. We also have some talented Fr. (Who I hope we're not forced to play.) FWIW, our 5 highest rated O-linemen as recruits are the two transfers and three of the Fr. The worst of the transition of systems is behind us.

Looking at overall talent: the 247 Team Talent Composite for 2020 isn't out yet. But looking at last year, we were 45th with 8 4-stars and an 84.76 average rating for the roster. This year we'll have 14 4-stars and a 84.97 roster average. That compares pretty close to NC-State at #36 in 2019 (13 4-stars and 84.95 avg). Obviously, a lot of the higher ranked talent is younger. But I think there's a decent chance we can make a bowl this year. Next year could be a breakout.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The O-line will be the biggest reason if we get to 6-6.It has a chance WITHOUT INJURIES to be decent which will be a HUGE! step up. (I was watching a game replay vs usf and in 1 half a certain departing player missed 4 blocks badly.) I doubt that will happen much again if all goes well.
Oddly I would like some FR to get time because '20 may be a lost season anyway and we need exp for '21.

LibertyTurns

Banned
If we didn’t learn anything from last year coupled with better health and manpower, it would certainly be telling. I don’t think there’s any way possible this year’s OL could not be measurably improved from last year. Not any chance at all. None. Zero.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The O-line will be the biggest reason if we get to 6-6.It has a chance WITHOUT INJURIES to be decent which will be a HUGE! step up. (I was watching a game replay vs usf and in 1 half a certain departing player missed 4 blocks badly.) I doubt that will happen much again if all goes well.
Oddly I would like some FR to get time because '20 may be a lost season anyway and we need exp for '21.

That is not all the blocks he missed. But then, he had a lot of company.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck

Thoughts?

Our OL will be better (they can't get worse) but expecting anyone other than Cochran to be dominant seems like a stretch to me.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
We should definitely improve. Maybe improve enough to be somewhat competitive with the bottom 1/3 of the conference. With a significant improvement in our wins to all the way to 5. Steal a game to get to 6 if we are lucky.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
IF, and that's a big IF, our OL play improves, you will be amazed at how much better our QB (whoever it is) plays & CPat coaches.

That said, I see quite a difference in size, height, length & body shape of this current prospective OL & the inbound recruits compared to the CPJ (and this old Navy guy was a fan of CPJ) remnants from last year. A number of us OldeFarTekkers were on the field last year at a couple of the games for some sort of "time out filler" recognition or pre-game & we all remarked how the current crop of players were shaped a lot like us nearly 70 year olds..... short, round or pear-shaped..... not so with the new guys.

Unless we have a ton of injuries again like 1968, 2015, or last year, this OldeFarTekker believes the OL will at least rise to an "acceptable level of mediocrity," which in comparison to last year is a vast upgrade. A couple more years with S&C & CBK and we should be in re-load mode in the OL.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I expect us to be 25% improved on day 1, just from experience, return of injured and transfers. By mid year I look for about a 50% improvement and at year end , I expect us to be 75% better. Part of that is because we were soooo bad last year. So how do those percentages translate to wins with a ( much ) harder schedule ?
My guess is 6-6. Wins will be GW, UCF ( at home upset), UVA ( we are rolling a bit ), at Syracuse, Dook , and Miami. A stretch ? Probably. But, I really think this is doable for this team. Hopefully, we will get to see.

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The OL will improve, but by how much depends on how much of our issues were due to inexperience in the new system vs bad fit for the new system. While I expect the transfers to help, and some players to take a step forward, I still expect the OL to struggle. Not to the same extent, but still be a noticeable weakness. In the run game, I could imagine us being in a situation where we can run consistently behind one side pretty well but still struggle passing as it's easier to exploit one big matchup advantage in the passing game than the running game.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I expect us to be 25% improved on day 1, just from experience, return of injured and transfers. By mid year I look for about a 50% improvement and at year end , I expect us to be 75% better. Part of that is because we were soooo bad last year. So how do those percentages translate to wins with a ( much ) harder schedule ?
My guess is 6-6. Wins will be GW, UCF ( at home upset), UVA ( we are rolling a bit ), at Syracuse, Dook , and Miami. A stretch ? Probably. But, I really think this is doable for this team. Hopefully, we will get to see.

I tend to agree. We have so many areas too improve that’s it’s almost impossible not to. If we see the improvement along the OLine and the defense keeps improving then the two keys in my mind are QB play and our kicker. If we are in more games, then our kicker could be the difference in 4 wins or 6 wins. After rewatching last season I’m starting to like Yates. In limited action he showed tools and decisiveness and he’s always had the kind of personality, leadership, and work ethic to be a very good college QB. But no way this season gets played. Ripple effects for years.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
IF, and that's a big IF, our OL play improves, you will be amazed at how much better our QB (whoever it is) plays & CPat coaches.

That said, I see quite a difference in size, height, length & body shape of this current prospective OL & the inbound recruits compared to the CPJ (and this old Navy guy was a fan of CPJ) remnants from last year. A number of us OldeFarTekkers were on the field last year at a couple of the games for some sort of "time out filler" recognition or pre-game & we all remarked how the current crop of players were shaped a lot like us nearly 70 year olds..... short, round or pear-shaped..... not so with the new guys.

Unless we have a ton of injuries again like 1968, 2015, or last year, this OldeFarTekker believes the OL will at least rise to an "acceptable level of mediocrity," which in comparison to last year is a vast upgrade. A couple more years with S&C & CBK and we should be in re-load mode in the OL.

Those were probably the most injury ridden years in the history of the program. For my money, 1968 was the worst but last year was bad and 2015 was right behind it. Tech simply cannot afford injuries except maybe at running back and quarterback. I am beginning to wonder if under the circumstances it might be best for this program to have a very reduced schedule with limited exposure so that the players can get experience but no one will care with no fans and little television exposure. In effect, write off another year and point to 2021 and beyond due to the COVID thing of course. I am sure we will play just don't know how much and how it will play out.