I'll say it again!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It really pisses me off that we consistently can not make a damn yard when we have to. If I were Key I would practice that until by God our men would make damn sure they get it done the next time it comes up. Enough of this wimping out when you have to man up and beat the other guy's arse! That is what football really comes down to. Now let's get it done.

I made this post after the Pittsburgh game. Damn if we still can not get a first down when we absolutely have to have it on short yardage. Quit throwing the ball, man up, and get the yard or two we need. Until we learn to do that, we are always going to be into these types of games, leaving our opponent hanging around with a chance to snatch a victory away from us right at the end. It's a learned behavior. Practice it until it becomes standard operating procedure. Take pride in it. Make it your calling card.

Go Jackets!

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
We do the QB sneak pretty often on 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 1. It’s worked every single time and sims is averaging 3-4 yards per QB sneak.
Yeah it is strange that it has worked every time I have seen it, but when it’s 2nd, 3rd and 4th and 2 we throw, throw and punt to the end zone. Weird.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I made this post after the Pittsburgh game. Damn if we still can not get a first down when we absolutely have to have it on short yardage. Quit throwing the ball, man up, and get the yard or two we need. Until we learn to do that, we are always going to be into these types of games, leaving our opponent hanging around with a chance to snatch a victory away from us right at the end. It's a learned behavior. Practice it until it becomes standard operating procedure. Take pride in it. Make it your calling card.

Go Jackets!
Obviously you weren't paying attention to the game. When you are down 3 starting offensive linemen, you're not going to be ground and pounding. I get pointing out where work needs to be done but dang man, you don't have to go around beating your chest about it. I wish that a snap of finger is all it took to change what needs to be changed, but it takes time. Enjoy the win. Enjoy the positives of the last 2 weeks. With the bye week here, we get to heal up and have extra days to fix our area of struggles. But even with that, don't expect us to suddenly become a 2010 era Alabama.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This has been a long-standing problem for Georgia Tech football. Our opponents sense it as one of our significant weaknesses. They like to get us is third and short because they know that 90% of the time we won't get it. They know we do not have the confidence or mindset to line up and get that 6 inches, 1 yard, 2 yards, etc. we need to move the chains. If you ever want to be a really good football team you have to turn that around to where you consistently make it 90% of the time.

I know it is not easy to accomplish but it is worth focusing on it. To practice it daily, over and over, to talk about it incessantly, to create slogans and uniform patches and build monuments to it. I think Brent Key lived that as a player. I hope he is building it as a coach.

Go Jackets!

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Very puzzling hill for you to die on. What you're describing is not a GT problem. Its not an OL problem. Its a person whose never played or coached a college sport problem. Not pointing the finger at you individually because you're not the only one who complains in this way. Are there things that need to be corrected? Absolutely. (Psst even ugag and Bama have things they can clean up). Has there ever been a perfect game played? No. (We had 2nd downs in the 222-0 game, which I'm sure some folks on here would have complained about) Has there ever been a perfect team? No.
And if you insist on running for it on 3rd and short every time, don't you think that every defense will know it and adjust?
Being successful on 3rd down in the 65% + - range is considered great. Running on 3rd an short with a depleted line is not as important as say getting consistent TE play, or not getting punts blocked (we fixed that!).
I wouldn't care if we are 0-12 on third downs and win the game. The point is to win. If we score all our points by field goals or offensive touchdowns or defensive touchdowns or safetys or a combination thereof, it does not matter.
Let yourself enjoy the successes of the last 2 weeks, having faith that the coaches will work on what needs to be worked on.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
We have made massive improvements in a short period of time. I would bet the improvements after a bye week will be apparent. The pitt game was 4 days worth of prep, a week for duke, all while adjusting to new roles within the staff. That is a tough spot to be in and still walk away with 2 W's.

Lets Go Key and Lets Go Jackets.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Obviously you weren't paying attention to the game. When you are down 3 starting offensive linemen, you're not going to be ground and pounding. I get pointing out where work needs to be done but dang man, you don't have to go around beating your chest about it. I wish that a snap of finger is all it took to change what needs to be changed, but it takes time. Enjoy the win. Enjoy the positives of the last 2 weeks. With the bye week here, we get to heal up and have extra days to fix our area of struggles. But even with that, don't expect us to suddenly become a 2010 era Alabama.
Which OL starters went down and who replaced them? I was at the game but didn't take notice.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Obviously you weren't paying attention to the game. When you are down 3 starting offensive linemen, you're not going to be ground and pounding
You ain't gonna be doing much pass protection either.
I'd load up with more tight ends or bring in an extra offensive lineman, if need be, especially in short yardage.
Or run a bunch of tunnel and bubble screens.

When it comes to needing a yard, PJ used to tell me all the time - take your best runner and run behind your best blocker.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
When you are down 3 starting offensive linemen, you're not going to be ground and pounding.
I just wish we could make up our mind if pass blocking is harder than run blocking. 4 years ago pass blocking was blocking for real men & run bocking was a sissy's game. Now pass blocking's easier than run blocking & we should do that when we start running out of OL because it's much less difficult.

One thing I believe we can all agree on is that punt blocking is the hardest of all!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I was not high on Key from the get go. I was beginning to think he was the most overrated member of the staff with the sustained low performance of the OL.

However, I decided to give him a chance when he was named IHC because it’s really a completely different job. So far he’s earned my respect and continued support. It’s not just the wins, it’s the entire 180 degree culture shift. I look forward to game day again, whoda thunk it?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
We had 3 i believe and Quick was one of them. All 3 might not have been starters but if you're getting reps and go down its a loss.

Which OL starters went down and who replaced them? I was at the game but didn't take notice.
Jordan Williams went down and was replaced by Jakiah Leftwich who had also been playing some LT. Pierce Quick went down and I saw Paula Vaipulu in there for him. I think Joe Fusile was already out for the game. William Lay came in as well to play some guard.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Jordan Williams went down and was replaced by Jakiah Leftwich who had also been playing some LT. Pierce Quick went down and I saw Paula Vaipulu in there for him. I think Joe Fusile was already out for the game. William Lay came in as well to play some guard.
Cabe #62 had been finally cleared to get reps, but was hurt in practice. Football is hard.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
On a related subject, it bothers me that our offense has a tendency to default to a straight ahead dive play after every time we hit on a long gain. It's almost as if we say, "Ok everybody calm down, we will just run it straight ahead to get us settled. " Overwhelmingly, this results in a loss or no gain and an (empty down). Paul's offense often did the same thing. Second and nine puts us behind schedule and then we are looking at third and long. My thought is to practice this transition with measured pace (everyone gets set) and go with something like the read option, quick pitch or wide receiver screen. If we get good enough with experience, there might be an opportunity to go over the top with play action or a hitch and go? I just hate giving up first down - but it happens every time we hit a long play into the red zone. Next time this happens, I hope we will call a play on first down this will put us second and five . The dive play nets us nothing .

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Next time we are in a goal-line situation I would love to see us hurry up to the line in I-formation like for a qb sneak, then have Sims and rb run speed option for the corner

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
On a related subject, it bothers me that our offense has a tendency to default to a straight ahead dive play after every time we hit on a long gain. It's almost as if we say, "Ok everybody calm down, we will just run it straight ahead to get us settled. " Overwhelmingly, this results in a loss or no gain and an (empty down). Paul's offense often did the same thing. Second and nine puts us behind schedule and then we are looking at third and long. My thought is to practice this transition with measured pace (everyone gets set) and go with something like the read option, quick pitch or wide receiver screen. If we get good enough with experience, there might be an opportunity to go over the top with play action or a hitch and go? I just hate giving up first down - but it happens every time we hit a long play into the red zone. Next time this happens, I hope we will call a play on first down this will put us second and five . The dive play nets us nothing .
Maybe the big boys are winded after those long plays and that gives them a chance to catch their breath? I don’t know but I’ve seen it too.