If we could hire any coach...

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I'll go out of the box with Dana Altman (Oregon head coach) Done a very good job there.
FWIW Oregon fans were underwhelmed when he was hired

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've always appreciated guys who could recruit above their weight class, and develop talent. Guys from "mid major" schools who continue to win against P5 schools in the tournament and head to head when matched up in the regular season.

Mark Few
Gregg Marshall
Chris Mack
Archie Miller
Brad Stevens (before he took the Celtics job)

Guys in that vein.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
hahaha @ Brad Stevens -

I think I agree with Coach K. He wins, full stop, and seems to care about his players as well. He kind of reminds me of a CPJ type that happens to have a much better recruiting staff and easier school for admission exceptions. *****ly and a bit aloof to outsiders, but players under him love him.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I've always appreciated guys who could recruit above their weight class, and develop talent. Guys from "mid major" schools who continue to win against P5 schools in the tournament and head to head when matched up in the regular season.

Mark Few
Gregg Marshall
Chris Mack
Archie Miller
Brad Stevens (before he took the Celtics job)

Guys in that vein.
I like this list, and would add (no-brainer of the year) Jay Wright.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
No one likes Izzo? Maybe Steve Kerr ? Unfortunately, Coach Cal is probably the best, since college is all about the jimmy's and the Joe's and not so much the X's and the O's.

I'd rather have a Paul johnson "genius" type, but in college BBall, you really need a recruiter first.

I'd probably lean to Steve Kerr, I am pretty sure he could recruit

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
With the way college basketball is now, it's hard to go against Coach Cal (if there were no sanctions or whatever).

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
My criteria: I would avoid "end of career" coaches so we wouldn't have to hire a new guy in 5 years. (Knocks out K, Izzo, Roy Williams, Larranaga, Kruger etc) I would want a proven track record as a head coach or #1 assistant. (No Price, Wade, Enfield, etc) I would want a clean record in terms of ethics; no scandals or skeletons in the closet. (No Calipari, Pitino, Alford, Scott Drew, etc)

That still leaves a lot of great coaches (who would be impossible to hire)
Bill Self
Jay Wright
Sean Miller
Tony Bennett
Bob McKillop
Shaka Smart