If TStan is fired/resigns… what AD do we hire?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I've seen a lot of hate for the 7 year contract that I think is unfair. When CGC was hired, I was hopeful but my expectations for the Greatest Transition In College Football History were low (and CGC has fallen short even of those obviously). Had we inked a 6 year deal, we would have had to extend/fire Collins after last year. In retrospect, we could have canned him after year 3 on a 6 year deal but it was wholly realistic back in 2018 that Collins would have us middling at 5-7 by year 3 when extension/firing time came. It just didn't work out that way and we'll have to grin and bear this 4th year before he's dropped.

I still have TStan's back personally. Those of you who expected his football hire to have > 50% chance of success back at the end of 2018 were wearing gold tinted sunglasses. We might be in a similar, perhaps marginally better spot right now with Bill O'Brien or Ken Whisenhunt.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I've seen a lot of hate for the 7 year contract that I think is unfair. When CGC was hired, I was hopeful but my expectations for the Greatest Transition In College Football History were low (and CGC has fallen short even of those obviously). Had we inked a 6 year deal, we would have had to extend/fire Collins after last year. In retrospect, we could have canned him after year 3 on a 6 year deal but it was wholly realistic back in 2018 that Collins would have us middling at 5-7 or 6-6 by year 3 when extension/firing time came. It just didn't work out that way and we'll have to grin and bear this 4th year before he's dropped.

I still have TStan's back personally. Those of you who expected his football hire to have > 50% chance of success back at the end of 2018 were wearing gold tinted sunglasses. We might be in a similar, perhaps marginally better spot right now with Bill O'Brien or Ken Whisenhunt.

Collins would’ve come here on a 5 or 6 year deal. And if not, he would’ve saved us this embarrassment. We’ll likely never know, but would be interesting to see who brought up the 7 year deal, Collins’ side or Stansbury.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I don't know who signed the home & away contract with Ole Miss, but I question that person's judgment.

When you already have Clemson and Georgia on your schedule (not to mention 2-3 other ranked teams in conference), you fill that slot with Kennesaw State or some school that will give you a good scrimmage. You do NOT sign a top 20 program who views Tech as a tune-up game for the rest of their season.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
As I think about it, the problem was not actually the 7 year contract. The problem was the buyout based on the 7 year contract. We should have given him the 7 year contract for PR purposes, but designed the buyout based on 5-6 years,

I could buy that. But who ever said GT was good at writing contracts??

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Collins would’ve come here on a 5 or 6 year deal. And if not, he would’ve saved us this embarrassment. We’ll likely never know, but would be interesting to see who brought up the 7 year deal, Collins’ side or Stansbury.
The unfortunate reality in college athletics (especially when huge $$$ is at play like football) is that having your coach's contract life < 4 year is even more decimating to your program than who the coach is. You can't recruit if the coach is possibly leaving in 2 years and it's a bad show of support from the AD. We would have had to fire/extend after Year 3 on a 6 year contract. We will have to fire/extend Collins after this season (although I think most of us have figured out what dichotomous decision is going to win out there).

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
The unfortunate reality in college athletics (especially when huge $$$ is at play like football) is that having your coach's contract life < 4 year is even more decimating to your program than who the coach is. You can't recruit if the coach is possibly leaving in 2 years and it's a bad show of support from the AD. We would have had to fire/extend after Year 3 on a 6 year contract. We will have to fire/extend Collins after this season (although I think most of us have figured out what dichotomous decision is going to win out there).

Fine. Fire him after Year 3. Most of in knew in Year 1 this was a mistake. TStan is in Year 4 and doesn’t appear to have figured out what most everyone else has. 🤷🏽‍♂️

JacketFan137

Banned
When we signed that contract GT was the far superior team...
that’s just a flat out lie. we were better for that season but the one before they literally beat us in a bowl game and looked better. they also won 10 games the year after and we only won 3. don’t just make stuff up

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Fine. Fire him after Year 3. Most of in knew in Year 1 this was a mistake. TStan is in Year 4 and doesn’t appear to have figured out what most everyone else has. 🤷🏽‍♂️
I'm not sure that's true. Collins was a popular hire with almost everyone that wasn't a TO loyalist and most of us knew Year 1 was going to be rough. This board was predominantly just looking for improvement as the season progressed. And the offense did look better at the end of 2019 than it did against USF and The Citadel. I think most of us just expected our OL/DL at this point to be FBS-level OLs/DLs and it hasn't been the case. They still get pushed around and beaten off the ball in pass protection like a bunch of 260 lb triple option linemen. Sims got sacked multiple times yesterday by 4/5 man rushes where the defender did not even have a hand put on him.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure that's true. Collins was a popular hire with almost everyone that wasn't a TO loyalist and most of us knew Year 1 was going to be rough. This board was predominantly just looking for improvement as the season progressed. And the offense did look better at the end of 2019 than it did against USF and The Citadel. I think most of us just expected our OL/DL at this point to be FBS-level OLs/DLs and it hasn't been the case. They still get pushed around and beaten off the ball in pass protection like a bunch of 260 lb triple option linemen. Sims got sacked multiple times yesterday by 4/5 man rushes where the defender did not even have a hand put on him.

Perhaps. In my opinion, trying to turn a run based team into a more pro style system was mistake one. Take what you have in house and try to use it the best you can. The Citadel game. Temple game. The whole thing was telling as to what was to come.

JacketFan137

Banned
yesterday the most discouraging thing about the sacks was it wasn’t even a product of sims holding onto the ball too long. several of them the guy was on top of him the second the ball hit his hands on the snap. plays had literally zero chance

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know who signed the home & away contract with Ole Miss, but I question that person's judgment.

When you already have Clemson and Georgia on your schedule (not to mention 2-3 other ranked teams in conference), you fill that slot with Kennesaw State or some school that will give you a good scrimmage. You do NOT sign a top 20 program who views Tech as a tune-up game for the rest of their season.
I wouldn't want to play Kennesaw State right now either.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
yesterday the most discouraging thing about the sacks was it wasn’t even a product of sims holding onto the ball too long. several of them the guy was on top of him the second the ball hit his hands on the snap. plays had literally zero chance
I feel bad for Jeff but thankfully he's only a Sophomore because of the COVID year. I think he would be an above average P5 QB with a competent offensive line. He should transfer (preferably/selfishly non-ACC) when CGC gets fired and get 2 years of starts to really show off his stuff. I know his introvertedness doesn't lend itself to the QB position, but maybe his leadership abilities would shine more with the confidence from a good offensive system. He's athletic enough and has a good enough arm to lead a ranked team into bowl season.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I feel bad for Jeff but thankfully he's only a Sophomore because of the COVID year. I think he would be an above average P5 QB with a competent offensive line. He should transfer (preferably non-ACC) when CGC gets fired and get 2 years of starts to really show off his stuff. I know his introvertedness doesn't lend itself to the QB position, but maybe his leadership abilities would shine more with the confidence from a good offensive system.

Would be interesting to find out why FSU backed off him when Norvell came in. What did he see to turn him off of him. 🤷🏽‍♂️

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I still think TStan is a good hire. I know CGC was his hire at the end of the day but I feel like he had a lot of pressure to get a recruiter instead of a coach.

I would want to keep him through the next coaching hire