If the ACC scraps divisions...

Would you like the ACC to keep permanent rivals for football scheduling?

• Yes

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • No

Votes: 76 68.5%

• Total voters

CEB

Helluva Engineer
No. It’s an 8 game conference schedule.
3 permanent opponents. Then 5 one year, then the other five the next year.
Right... the “other 5” the next year. Insinuation is that you have three annual opponents and split the other 10 games over two years. 13 conference opponents.
We’re all speculating but the “3-5-5” seems like you’re playing the same 13 teams over a two year period. Maybe I have an agenda. :giggle:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Clemson, FSU, VT would be the obvious choices from a historic perspective, but I feel that we'd push back on that.

Clemson, FSU, and Duke might make sense
Clemson, Duke, + whoever makes sense historically.

We’ve played Duke more than anyone but Georgia I believe.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
If we’re truly looking for a trifecta of opponents with historical + geographic + competitive context, not sure how we go anywhere else but Clemson, UNC, and Duke.

Clemson is obviously our second biggest rival and we’ve played them 85 times (4th most against a single opponent), first time in 1902.

Duke we’ve played 89 times, 2nd most to UGA. First played them in 1933.

UNC we’ve played 56 times, 5th most all time and we played them the first time in 1915.

UNC and Duke are what I’d consider “fair” opponents, Clemson is obviously a loss 8/10 nowadays.

slugboy

Staff member
It took me 24 hours to realize that this is an opportunity for the ACC to come up with an alignment more confusing than “Atlantic” and “Coastal”

I think Clemson will get a pod, Miami will get a pod, and then the question is who gets the third pod. It’ll be like tournament brackets. Where Duke is in Clemson’s pod (or maybe us)

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
It took me 24 hours to realize that this is an opportunity for the ACC to come up with an alignment more confusing than “Atlantic” and “Coastal”

I think Clemson will get a pod, Miami will get a pod, and then the question is who gets the third pod. It’ll be like tournament brackets. Where Duke is in Clemson’s pod (or maybe us)
It can't be a pure pod system as that doesn't work with 14 teams and I don't see us expanding to 16 anytime soon. I can see the 4 NC schools being in a pod-like structure, but the other 10 schools will have a mix of the 3 permanents. I can see us with Clemson, VT, and who knows. FSU wants to keep Miami and Clemson, with a third for recruiting purposes, so they could be our third. I'm sure Clemson wants to keep us and wouldn't object to FSU as a second. I would think that Pitt, Syracuse and BC would want annual games, so that takes 2 permanents for each of them. I see 2 obvious permanents for most of the non-NC ACC teams other than Louisville and Virginia (UNC would be their obvious 2nd but can't because of the NC pod, unless UNC favors UVA over Wake), but I'm sure there are rivalries/priorities that I am not aware of.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It can't be a pure pod system as that doesn't work with 14 teams and I don't see us expanding to 16 anytime soon. I can see the 4 NC schools being in a pod-like structure, but the other 10 schools will have a mix of the 3 permanents. I can see us with Clemson, VT, and who knows. FSU wants to keep Miami and Clemson, with a third for recruiting purposes, so they could be our third. I'm sure Clemson wants to keep us and wouldn't object to FSU as a second. I would think that Pitt, Syracuse and BC would want annual games, so that takes 2 permanents for each of them. I see 2 obvious permanents for most of the non-NC ACC teams other than Louisville and Virginia (UNC would be their obvious 2nd but can't because of the NC pod, unless UNC favors UVA over Wake), but I'm sure there are rivalries/priorities that I am not aware of.
I think you’re on the right track...
the one thing I’m certain about is what slugboy said... the ACC will likely succeed in making it confusing and uncompelling.
I would favor 3-5-5 if we had Clem, Duke and UNC annually and got the other 10 members rotating every 2 seasons. If we’re still giving ND games, they get a 5-5-4 rotation of ACC teams and they are treated as out of conference. Every team sees them once in 3 years alternating home / away.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Wait a minute.... 3-5-5. That’s 13 opponents... Irish gone? I say good riddance!
I was wondering where ND was going to fit in this scheme. Time to tell them you are either in the ACC totally or just move on in all sports.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Clemson wants us for obvious reasons- easy opponent, fan access, team travel access, recruiting in Georgia. They have a bigger voice in the ACC now than we do. They will have the ear of the commissioner. Is it time to reconsider our UGA game? Other than revenue for that game it is too one sided and as the SEC generates more money we will fall farther behind.

slugboy

Staff member
Everyone is going to argue for their easiest path or the most gate revenue, but the main goal is to get as many teams in the playoffs as possible. That’s extra money for the conference, and I’m sure we’re desperate to avoid a repeat of last year’s shutout.
GT, Duke, and Syracuse will get no love in these meetings

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I was wondering where ND was going to fit in this scheme. Time to tell them you are either in the ACC totally or just move on in all sports.
Not until the NBC deal nears an end, 2025 is their last years as of now. And heard reports of BIG10 also partnering with NBC, which could help the ACC lure ND.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not until the NBC deal nears an end, 2025 is their last years as of now. And heard reports of BIG10 also partnering with NBC, which could help the ACC lure ND.
They currently have all the advantages on their side. They are a conference of one in football with 6 guaranteed P5 games in the ACC and a seat at the championship playoff. Let them find 6 other teams to schedule after 2025.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It'll be interesting to learn how much the individual schools get a say vs. the ACC office vs. ESPN etc.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I guess I'm the only one who would want to keep VT as a permanent rival game. I know we don't have the long history with them but....it's the TECHMO BOWL! I'd want to keep that.

I'd vote for Clem, Duke, and VT. Understand UNC though.
I also like the battle of the Techs, even if it has lost a lot of the value it held early on. I would think VT, UVA, or UNC for the 3rd slot.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Clemson wants us for obvious reasons- easy opponent, fan access, team travel access, recruiting in Georgia. They have a bigger voice in the ACC now than we do. They will have the ear of the commissioner. Is it time to reconsider our UGA game? Other than revenue for that game it is too one sided and as the SEC generates more money we will fall farther behind.
The only ACC team that can replace UGa economically would be FSU.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I never liked the Clemson crossover game but at least we still had the option of running the table 6-0 in Coastal to get a shot at the title. If you're a Georgia Tech fan, I would mentally prepare for the reality of not getting a chance to participate in that game for a very, very long time if we end up in a pod with Clemson.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I never liked the Clemson crossover game but at least we still had the option of running the table 6-0 in Coastal to get a shot at the title. If you're a Georgia Tech fan, I would mentally prepare for the reality of not getting a chance to participate in that game for a very, very long time if we end up in a pod with Clemson.
How does having clempson in our "pod" any different than playing them as we do now? It's still 1 game, win or lose, as the ACC looked at the conference record not the division record. And why do you not enjoy the clemzon game? Great fanbase. Great stadium to travel to. Close enough to have a strong GT section. They travel well. And have only been "unbeatable" only very recently. Of course our 3-9 team was this close to derailing their season less than 10 months ago.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I doubt any of the North Carolina schools end up as anyone's permanent rival if we go to a 3-5-5 model. Between UNC, State, Duke, and Wake; they'd all be each other's 3 permanent rivals and rotate the rest.

Other "obvious" pairings to me are teams like UVA and VT, old Big East rivals, and FSU/Miami. Probably us and Clemson too.