If our two Final Four squads played in a seven game series, who comes out on top?

Who wins in a seven game series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
7 game series? 1990 squad 4-2 maybe even 4-1 And I loved that 04 squad, but that 1990 team was one of the most exciting and explosive teams ever in the ACC, maybe college basketball!
In a 7 game series it gets closer because of the 04 squad's depth. Coach Cremins would have Lethal Weapon 3 playing the entire game and in a series that would hurt them.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
In a 7 game series it gets closer because of the 04 squad's depth. Coach Cremins would have Lethal Weapon 3 playing the entire game and in a series that would hurt them.
Even better results if BJ Elder is 100% with his ankle.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

IMO a couple things against that argument.

1) While 04 had solid depth it wasn't really enough to put pressure on teams in that regard. We had enough depth to steal minutes to keep our guys fresh but there was still obvious drop off if guys like Elder or Jack weren't on the floor for extended time. Same with Luke down low. Also, the team really lacked the depth inside that could have been used to take advantage of the weakness there of the LW3 team.

2) That advantage is more prevalent in later games, and I don't think a series goes past 5. And it's likely a sweep imo. That LW3 team was unreal losing only 6 regular season games by a total of 14 iirc.

3) Unless it's like the ACCT with games just back to back to back, I don't see that being a big enough factor especially given the previous point.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
To give you a what if, for the 2004 team:
1)If Chris Bosh wasn’t projected so late in the pro. evaluation for the draft, we might have brought in more depth in the Spring Period & or Nelson probably stays. Would have been something to have Bosh for his Sophomore year.
2)Ed Nelson is sitting on the UConn bench ineligible as a transfer student. Not w/ us.
3)Emeka Okafor wanting to come to GT over Rice in the 2000 Nov. Early Signing Week. McHenry signed then and we were out of ‘ships. Stuck holding, waiting on Michael Southall and his troubles. Okafor commits to Calhoun in that next January 2001, so he rightfully keeps his word. Three years later in 2004, he is the star for the Huskies and not the Jackets.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure the 2004 depth would matter other than foul trouble. It's not like you can wear out the 1990 team by pressing. Kenny was a one-man press break.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure the 2004 depth would matter other than foul trouble. It's not like you can wear out the 1990 team by pressing. Kenny was a one-man press break.
No but depth comes into play with foul trouble and injuries.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
We were clearly the second best team at the end of the year in 1990 and college basketball was better then. 2004 was a great defensive team. Lethal Weapon 3 was not a team anyone could shut down.

Yep. Loved the '04 team, but Lethal Weapon 3 was an amazing group of talent with enough role players that knew their positions. First team to ever have 3 20+ scorers for a year. Always seemed to start slow, get down big and then fight back to win.