If King can’t go

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Much has been discussed about Kings injury. If he isn’t available:
who do you have start?
How does that affect playcalling?

I think Pyron gets the nod. I like Philo and think he has a bright future, but you have a battle tested veteran, and you have to go with him.

Offensively I think we call much the same game, but maybe lean into the QB power more. Haynes is faster and a little more wiggle, but I think he may be a touch lighter than his listed 215. Pyron will run through guys.

I think Buster may want to come out slinging a bit. ND will want to make Pyron prove he can throw and stack the box to start. Hitting a couple throws to back them off a bit could help. Rutherford and the other receivers/TE will be big because ND has an nfl corner who will probably shadow Singleton all day.
Without Haynes wiggle in the middle, I’d like to see more of the wide runs/reverses with Rutherford and Singleton to stretch the defense horizontally.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Much has been discussed about Kings injury. If he isn’t available:
who do you have start?
How does that affect playcalling?

I think Pyron gets the nod. I like Philo and think he has a bright future, but you have a battle tested veteran, and you have to go with him.

Offensively I think we call much the same game, but maybe lean into the QB power more. Haynes is faster and a little more wiggle, but I think he may be a touch lighter than his listed 215. Pyron will run through guys.

I think Buster may want to come out slinging a bit. ND will want to make Pyron prove he can throw and stack the box to start. Hitting a couple throws to back them off a bit could help. Rutherford and the other receivers/TE will be big because ND has an nfl corner who will probably shadow Singleton all day.
Without Haynes wiggle in the middle, I’d like to see more of the wide runs/reverses with Rutherford and Singleton to stretch the defense horizontally.
The NFL corner is out, they are down to 3 Cb’s

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Without Haynes wiggle in the middle, …
Um, prolly oughta not go there???
Cat Wiggle GIF

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know Philo has some hype, but this doesn’t seem like a legitimate question. Of course we start Pyron. He has way more experience.
I hear you but the coaches are yet to allow Pyron to act as a real backup QB. We’ve all seen starting QB’s go down this season and only GT has treated its backup QB like you treat a JV backup. Pyron has been incredibly loyal and his parents are incredible people so I hope the6 let him freaking play the way he can. Same with Philo if he is handed the reins.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I hear you but the coaches are yet to allow Pyron to act as a real backup QB. We’ve all seen starting QB’s go down this season and only GT has treated its backup QB like you treat a JV backup. Pyron has been incredibly loyal and his parents are incredible people so I hope the6 let him freaking play the way he can. Same with Philo if he is handed the reins.
Its Pyron's time u less King is 90-100%.

Big issue is how many times King had to tell subs to get in proper pre snap position.

We may have to go 2 tight ends and play simple bully ball Pyron off tackle. When se do t run pyron when we dsend #2 & #8 deep and then tell Pyron fake pass and then run.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I think that is more a function of his practice. He’s been used as the red zone QB so that is where the majority of his reps came. I’m sure he’ll get more time with the full playbook this week.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I know Philo has some hype, but this doesn’t seem like a legitimate question. Of course we start Pyron. He has way more experience.

This. It's not even a debate. Pyron has been in the system for two years, and the coaches have all the confidence in him. The game will be called differently, and they'll have packages in that will be different from King's, but Pyron will be THE Guy. Philo has an extremely bright future at GT, but I don't think GT fans understand the gap between Pyron and Philo. It's much bigger than the gap between King and Pyron.

If Pyron has to go, he's going to be a pleasant surprise for GT fans use to seeing him only run the glorified "wild cat" package this season.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This. It's not even a debate. Pyron has been in the system for two years, and the coaches have all the confidence in him. The game will be called differently, and they'll have packages in that will be different from King's, but Pyron will be THE Guy. Philo has an extremely bright future at GT, but I don't think GT fans understand the gap between Pyron and Philo. It's much bigger than the gap between King and Pyron.

If Pyron has to go, he's going to be a pleasant surprise for GT fans use to seeing him only run the glorified "wild cat" package this season.
They clearly dont have confidence in him because every time they put him in he is used like a middle school backup. It’s ridiculous. As noted, he has been a GT QB for years so let him run the offense. This talk of getting snaps in practice is ridiculous. If we aren’t giving our backup QB enough reps to be useable then that’s an us issue. Every week QB’s get hurt so everyone knows the backup needs to be ready. I think I saw that Pyron will have his degree by next season so I hope he finds somewhere where he will be used since King is not playing himself into a draft pick.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
They clearly dont have confidence in him because every time they put him in he is used like a middle school backup. It’s ridiculous. As noted, he has been a GT QB for years so let him run the offense. This talk of getting snaps in practice is ridiculous. If we aren’t giving our backup QB enough reps to be useable then that’s an us issue. Every week QB’s get hurt so everyone knows the backup needs to be ready. I think I saw that Pyron will have his degree by next season so I hope he finds somewhere where he will be used since King is not playing himself into a draft pick.

His dad has refuted this statement many times already on this board. Sometimes how we interpret what we see can be vastly different than what is actually going on behind the scenes.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The coaches felt they could milk the clock and keep it really conservative when Pyron came in to limit turnovers. That’s called playing to not lose and I’ve never liked that approach but we got lucky and won the game. I think they’re smart enough to open up the playbook for Pyron this weekend if he starts and if they don’t we won’t have a chance to win. I have complete confidence in Pyron with an open playbook and actually think we have a really good chance to beat ND but the self inflicted penalties have to stop and the coaches need to step their games up starting with Key.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The coaches felt they could milk the clock and keep it really conservative when Pyron came in to limit turnovers. That’s called playing to not lose and I’ve never liked that approach but we got lucky and won the game. I think they’re smart enough to open up the playbook for Pyron this weekend if he starts and if they don’t we won’t have a chance to win. I have complete confidence in Pyron with an open playbook and actually think we have a really good chance to beat ND but the self inflicted penalties have to stop and the coaches need to step their games up starting with Key.
We won in large part because we played TFP.
He will soon be a TIC TOC influencer

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Pyron has been at GT longer than King, but both Pyron and King have been in Faulkner's system the same amount of time. There's a difference.

You're trying to create drama where there's no drama...it was settled on the field and Key made his decision in 2023. You're ignoring the fact that King is the #15 best QB in college football according to QBR. You're also trying to make GT fans denigrate Pyron to defend King, and anyone who has any sense knows neither QB deserves the crap you're trying to stir up.

Both QBs know their role, and both QBs are team players that are embracing their role, otherwise one of them would not be here. End of story.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I agree that the Tebow package with Pyron has gotten predictable, but the whole point of that package is to run QB power. He’s never going to be throwing it around a bunch in that package. For reference, in 2006, Tim Tebow threw the ball more than twice in a game only three times; two blow outs against Central Florida and Western Kentucky( 9 and 12 pass attempts respectively) in which he wasn’t limited to the “package” because he was leading the second team in garbage time and a three pass game against Vanderbilt. He didn’t pass at all in five games. Why would you put in your backup QB to pass when King is one of the highest rated passers in the nation? The only time Pyron should pass is as a “trick” play to keep offenses honest against that package. This is not an accurate situation to judge whether the coaches trust Pyron’s throwing ability or not.

Regarding him taking over for King last week, we were trying to run the clock out with our backup QB in and both times we punted, we ran the ball on third and medium. The way we were running it all game, there’s a pretty good chance we would have ran the ball on third and medium if King were in. In fact, three of our four 3rd down conversions when King was in the game were running plays. This was our offensive game plan for the day.

There is zero evidence the coaches don’t trust Pyron. In fact, I’d say they have shown tremendous trust in him by the simple fact that they routinely pull out their starting QB and trust him with the ball in his hands. Not every coaching staff would volunteer putting the ball in the hands of their backup in a close game when they don’t have to, no matter the package. If King can’t go against ND, I fully believe we will see our full offensive playbook on display.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I disagree with your conclusion. I think they’ve run the plays according to the situation, not who they had in the game. There’s no way to know unless Hayne’s isn’t ready and they Pyron this week.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes. I'm not sure if people here remember Tim Byerley who was Thomas's number 2. Believe me when I tell you that Tech would have won just as many games with Timbo in there as if Thomas had not come to Tech. In high school, Tim never looked like he was doing to much until you looked at the stats and realized he had beaten the other side hollow all by himself. When Tech didn't go after him I was shocked. But he did end up on the Flats and was very effective within the 15 for Tech. But he could run the entire playbook without trouble and with good results.

I expect it is the same with Pyron. If he comes in the team will look different, but the results will not be much different. But, again, let's just hope that King starts.