If I were Swofford....

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd lock in an agreement with the Big 12 to have all the schools playing an ACC team every year. Both conferences need some beef for their out of conference schedules. If it stays with a 4 team playoff format, the out of conference schedule is going to be big when it comes to credibility for all conferences except the SEC. This would be a great time to do it since the Big 12 just got left out with two 1 loss teams. The ACC would have gotten left out if we didn't have an undefeated FSU. It would be cool to have Texas or Oklahoma roll into the ATL!!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm in favor of UGA plus one other tough ooc opponent...one bsd patsy (or 2) and a lower division opponent. I'd rather have the freedom to select that 2nd tough ooc game rather than be tied into some kind of conference agreement. Ties our hands too much and would shut the door on ever playing a SEC team again. And Id rather play bama, tenn, aub etc than anyone in the b12.

What Swofford really needs to do is give ND an ultimatum...all in or all out.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
B12 expansion could possibly create a whole new round of domino effect. The power 5 outside the B12 seem fairly locked in but when these things start changing chaos has a crack in the door to make hay.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I think there is more alignment/expansion eventually to come. I could see the new DI (or whatever they call it) composed of 80 teams. P5 Conferences X 16 teams/conference.
With an 8-team post season tournamnet, 5 auto quals and 3 at-large.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
All I know is if you're not a "Brand Name" or you're not in the SEC you better have some tough non conference opposition to hang your hat on. If Texas or Oklahoma would have had TCU or Baylor's record, no way they get bumped from the final 4. Even Herbstreit said teams better start locking in some tougher non-conf opponents.

Animal02

Banned
Would love to see a Big Ten ACC challenge in Football. Just set up in advance who has home games and who has away games of each year.......sort out who plays each other similar to how they sort out the basketball games,

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Saw the thread title, and figured it was something about ritual seppuku. Imagine my disappointment to find a well-reasoned discussion about football scheduling issues.

This it the Internet, dammit—rational discourse is against the rules!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I'm in favor of UGA plus one other tough ooc opponent...one bsd patsy (or 2) and a lower division opponent. I'd rather have the freedom to select that 2nd tough ooc game rather than be tied into some kind of conference agreement. Ties our hands too much and would shut the door on ever playing a SEC team again. And Id rather play bama, tenn, aub etc than anyone in the b12.

What Swofford really needs to do is give ND an ultimatum...all in or all out.

VERY, VERY TRUE about those stuffed up ND elitists. They want all the advantages of basketball yet look down their noses at football. Aholes.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Ironic that in the modern era, Notre Dame has ducked behind the mantle of "historic rivalries" to schedule service academies, to rack up points and accolades. But in the new Flexbone era that's backfiring on them. Navy considers ND a yearly religious crusade, and cuts 'em so hard if that no matter the result of that game the Irish fold in the weeks following.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Would love to see a Big Ten ACC challenge in Football. Just set up in advance who has home games and who has away games of each year.......sort out who plays each other similar to how they sort out the basketball games,
Ive been saying this forever... would be an awesone idea. The bball tourney is very inticing... football would be even more spectacular. Evenly matched teams every year

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I'd lock in an agreement with the Big 12 to have all the schools playing an ACC team every year. Both conferences need some beef for their out of conference schedules. If it stays with a 4 team playoff format, the out of conference schedule is going to be big when it comes to credibility for all conferences except the SEC. This would be a great time to do it since the Big 12 just got left out with two 1 loss teams. The ACC would have gotten left out if we didn't have an undefeated FSU. It would be cool to have Texas or Oklahoma roll into the ATL!!

I agree with the idea, except I'd prefer to have them limp in or hobble in, not roll.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There's been chatter for an ACC-SEC matchup since 4 schools already play each other.

Also, a lot rests on the outcome of the ACC/Big 12 proposal to do away with the 12 team rule and divisions for the Conference Championship Games.
if that proposal passes then i would expect the Big 12 to stay at 10 and hold a championship game and the ACC wants to do away with divisions so schools play each other more often.