If I Were Coach For a Day

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Like most of you I have no inside information, Have seen no practices or off season drills, cannot control future injuries or attrition, cannot predict when Jordan is 100%, and will know little about the upcoming offseason or Fall Camp. I was at the Spring Game and have watched the complete replay 3 times. So if I were coach having to make a decision today with this limited info, this is it:
Redshirt Marshall. This will likely make him #3 or 4 AB his Jr year and #1 or 2 his Sr year. This will give him two seasons to contribute in a big way.
Assuming MJ is healthy he gets the start and about 70% of the snaps, including the short yardage ones.
LJ gets about 30% snaps including most with 3rd or 4th down and 7 yards or more to go.
J Jones is #3 (shared with Martensen who is a capable #3) but he practices 5 special plays just for his unique skills: WR reverse, WR reverse pass, AB counter, AB rocket toss, Receiver screen. We use him in these plays and we use him as a decoy off those plays.

No doubt things will change in a big way before the Tennessee game but based on today's info this would be my going in plan. Since there is nothing else to do, what is your plan?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Like most of you I have no inside information, Have seen no practices or off season drills, cannot control future injuries or attrition, cannot predict when Jordan is 100%, and will know little about the upcoming offseason or Fall Camp. I was at the Spring Game and have watched the complete replay 3 times. So if I were coach having to make a decision today with this limited info, this is it:
Redshirt Marshall. This will likely make him #3 or 4 AB his Jr year and #1 or 2 his Sr year. This will give him two seasons to contribute in a big way.
Assuming MJ is healthy he gets the start and about 70% of the snaps, including the short yardage ones.
LJ gets about 30% snaps including most with 3rd or 4th down and 7 yards or more to go.
J Jones is #3 (shared with Martensen who is a capable #3) but he practices 5 special plays just for his unique skills: WR reverse, WR reverse pass, AB counter, AB rocket toss, Receiver screen. We use him in these plays and we use him as a decoy off those plays.

No doubt things will change in a big way before the Tennessee game but based on today's info this would be my going in plan. Since there is nothing else to do, what is your plan?

These are good ideas but not what I would do if I were "Coach for a Day" If it were me, I would negotiate a buyout, turn the reins over to Coach Johnson and take a seat in the West Stands, drink a Coke, complain about the quarterback (doesn't matter who it is), gripe about the uniforms, whine about why we can't get more defensive tackles, then go to the Varsity and order two dogs walking and a VO. That should just about do it.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I think it'd be pointless to redshirt taquan.

The guy is in year 3 so he can definitely contribute somewhere.

Last edited: